News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 03:50:48 PM
To be clear - I do not have a home deep-fryer because of the reason you stated - too many limited use appliances already.  And the ones I already have (like a chopper, blender, rice cooker, or Instant Pot) I use more often than I would a home fryer.

But you're fooling yourself if oven fries are anywhere near as good as actually deep-fried fries.  In particular in a poutine.

And McCain's?  All you're getting are frozen potatoes.  Just get something generic.  I'll often buy name-brand food products, but not for frozen fries.

(God Damn we're all old)
To be honest, I haven't actually bought frozen fries from the store myself since before I got married, so I have no idea what kind of brand I would have eaten over the years.  It's very possible that a more economical option was purchased.  Really, with salt, pepper and either vinegar or ketchup, the fries thus produced are perfectly adequate, especially on a cold winter evening. 

And yes, every single one of us is terribly old.  Even the Languishites who were teenagers when we started this are almost forty now. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 02, 2021, 03:53:49 PM
People without fryers are insane. They have more range than a rice cooker, ffs. Get one. Make awesome fish & chips.

Also McCain is the only brand not to use Soy oil when pre-cooking their fries. A god send for my family.

A rice maker does one thing, but it does it very well.  I'm sure we have rice about once a week - certainly a lot more often than we would have fish and chips..  Not to mention which one is healthier for you.

Besides if you really want to fry something you just get out a big pot and some oil.

And if health reasons makes McCain's the better option for your family then by all means buy McCains :hug:.

Soy sensitivity sucks in these times.

Hi Neil, I was 16 when this started.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 02, 2021, 03:53:49 PM
People without fryers are insane. They have more range than a rice cooker, ffs. Get one. Make awesome fish & chips.
I love my rice cooker :blush:

I think it was the second appliance I got (after the kettle).
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I feel I should mention.

I have a rice cooker, I love it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I have a food processor and a blender and a mixer and a single-serving coffeemaker and various oddly-shaped pans and I don't know how to use any of them.  But at the same time I can't get rid of them. 

The kettle at least is the kind that goes on the stove, but I can't imagine that I'll ever use it. 

I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to microwave rice.  I've seen that done. 

I have used the toaster twice in the last three months, so at least there's some value there. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
I saw a twitter thread (by some rando) bemoaning that abortion rights are at risk in Canada and how important it is not to elect the Conservatives.

This when O'toole openly describes himself as being pro-choice.  When the party platform says nothing about abortion.  Where the party platform explicitly promises not to regulate abortion.  Where, under Harper's majority, they passed no laws about abortion.

So please tell me what threat the Conservatives are to abortion rights in Canada?

As recently as June this year, 72% of Conservative Party MPs voted in favour of an anti-abortion bill (Bill C-233). That's not exactly confidence inducing, in spite of anything O'Toole says.

Last time the Conservatives were in government they cut foreign aid to womens health across the board as concession to their anti-abortion caucus. I absolutely expect that to happen again.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2021, 04:20:58 PM
As recently as June this year, 72% of Conservative Party MPs voted in favour of an anti-abortion bill (Bill C-233). That's not exactly confidence inducing, in spite of anything O'Toole says.

Last time the Conservatives were in government they cut foreign aid to womens health across the board as concession to their anti-abortion caucus. I absolutely expect that to happen again.

Bill C-233 banned selective sex abortions.  To call it "an anti-abortion bill" while leaving out that details seems pretty intellectually dishonest Jacob.

I'll give you the second point.  But that's hardly endangering abortion rights in Canada, which was the argument I've seen on social media.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I love abortion as a policy, but I do think it's odd that people on social media who were decrying the foreign practice of aborting female fetuses as unforgivable misogyny ten or fifteen years ago are now lining up to hammer people who voted against permitting the procedure here in Canada.  It seems like political opportunism, and like trying to fight a Canadian election on American terms. 

Then again, this is quite possibly the least important election in Canadian history, so I expect that with the stakes being so low, people are going to be even more excited than they usually are come election time. 

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 04:25:53 PM
Bill C-233 banned selective sex abortions.  To call it "an anti-abortion bill" while leaving out that details seems pretty intellectually dishonest Jacob.

My mistake responding to you.

I keep falling for your "you know me, I like to engage in earnest political discussion" act and then you pull shit like this. I know plenty of reasonable Conservative voters, including people who are absolutely committed partisans. You, however, are not one of them.

When you say your political posts are more like "political masturbation" that is very apt. I'll engage with you on those terms moving forward.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2021, 04:44:56 PM

I keep falling for your "you know me, I like to engage in earnest political discussion" act and then you pull shit like this. I know plenty of reasonable Conservative voters, including people who are absolutely committed partisans. You, however, are not one of them.

When you say your political posts are more like "political masturbation" that is very apt. I'll engage with you on those terms moving forward.

Fuck you too. :hug:

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2021, 04:44:56 PM

But really.  You can make arguments on either side of C-233.  You can link it to the overall abortion debate as well if you want as well, maybe arguing it's part of the dreaded Conservative "hidden agenda".

But to just call it an "anti-abortion bill"?  How is that good faith?

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 04:50:23 PM
But really.  You can make arguments on either side of C-233.  You can link it to the overall abortion debate as well if you want as well, maybe arguing it's part of the dreaded Conservative "hidden agenda".

You're a fucking pissant. I'm not falling for your shit for... well, for at least a few days. Go fuck yourself.

Neil

Maybe we should just use this thread to talk about food and kitchen appliances.  It seems more useful than everybody just piling on Beeb, viper posting random stuff about how everyone hates Quebec and everybody else talking about how their vote is ABC.  Then it would be something that everyone can enjoy. 

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 02, 2021, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2021, 04:50:23 PM

You're a fucking pissant. I'm not falling for your shit for... well, for at least a few days. Go fuck yourself.

Whatever.

You know I tried to be fair and accurate when summing up the Senate scandal in the "Redux" thread, while not writing a damn essay.  For example when I touched on Sen Brazeau being kicked out of caucus for "unrelated" matters - it was a sex assault allegation.  I figured if you thought that was important you could bring it up.  I made sure to get my numbers correct so you couldn't accuse me of minimizing the dollars involved, and consulted a couple of websites to get all the details right.

Look you could have said "yes, I probably should have mentioned that it banned selective sex abortions".  You could have said "I didn't realize what the bill is about".  You could have said "I thought everyone knew what the bill was about" (I didn't - I had to google it to remind myself).  Or something else.

But you don't get to be upset at me for calling you out for mischaracterizing the bill.

Jacob

A rice cooker is good for all kinds of steaming applications. In my house we use it for steamed vegetables, mantou, some meat dishes, congee, and also for reheating food as well - especially rice dishes.

A brief search shows a bunch of other dishes that can be cooked in a rice cooker - okonomiyaki, various rice dishes (as opposed to plain rice), cakes (including Japanese cheesecake), and even Mac & Cheese.