News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

That's a bit funny.  I'm sure it was extreme galling for Niki Ashton.  If she could find a way to become non-white, she would have already. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Kind of a jerk move. But funny too.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2021, 01:22:32 PM

I think it kind of reflects badly on the NDP's advance planning for an event like this.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2021, 01:26:34 PM
I think it kind of reflects badly on the NDP's advance planning for an event like this.

It doesn't reflect well on anyone involved including - as you say - the NDP.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2021, 02:03:25 PM

It doesn't reflect well on anyone involved including - as you say - the NDP.

I think it depends on what was said in advance by both sides, but it's not necessarily a jerk move by the two chiefs involved if they were never asked what they were going to say.

Making their endorsement in this fashion gives it, oh, 100x more impact than if they had announced it on their own.

And remember - I've got no horse in this race (since you seem to think everything I say is through a partisan lens).  If anything I want the NDP to do better to eat into Liberal support.

On another point I'd a little distressed the PPC are doing so "well" (at 4-5%).  If you assume most of those voters would otherwise vote Conservative that could be a huge difference in an otherwise tight race.  Mostly just rabid anti-vaxxers?

It is funny though that the CBC at least has them listed as "Other", while the Greens (who are polling at 2%) get listed separately.

Neil

If the PPC ever get an MP elected, maybe they'd get to be distinct too.  At least the Greens can say that, although it'll probably decline as the party wastes away into self-destruction. 

As it stands, the PPC just a haven for antisocial movement conservatives. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2021, 02:08:53 PM
And remember - I've got no horse in this race (since you seem to think everything I say is through a partisan lens).  If anything I want the NDP to do better to eat into Liberal support.
How is that not partisan? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2021, 01:22:32 PM

Yeah, the first speaker tried to cushion the blow a bit by saying it was the policy of the organization to support indigenous candidates - the NDP really dropped the ball not knowing that.  And underscored the reason why the organizations support indigenous candidates, who would have known that...

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2021, 03:48:59 PM
How is that not partisan? :P

That is about a close to non partisan as BB gets  :D

Jacob

I think it depends on what was said in advance by both sides, but it's not necessarily a jerk move by the two chiefs involved if they were never asked what they were going to say.

I think those chiefs have enough political acumen to know that saying "we're endorsing another candidate" at a party event is a bit of a "fuck you."

QuoteMaking their endorsement in this fashion gives it, oh, 100x more impact than if they had announced it on their own.

For sure.

QuoteAnd remember - I've got no horse in this race (since you seem to think everything I say is through a partisan lens).

:huh: ... I think you're applying your own lens to my words.

QuoteIf anything I want the NDP to do better to eat into Liberal support.

... but wait... now you are applying a partisan lens...  :lol: :hug:

QuoteOn another point I'd a little distressed the PPC are doing so "well" (at 4-5%).  If you assume most of those voters would otherwise vote Conservative that could be a huge difference in an otherwise tight race.  Mostly just rabid anti-vaxxers?

Yeah probably the hard core of anti-vaxxers, white supremacists, and other hard regressives. You'd probably lose significantly more in the centre if you did what it'd take to get them on board.

QuoteIt is funny though that the CBC at least has them listed as "Other", while the Greens (who are polling at 2%) get listed separately.

Based on who got invited to the leaders debate, I'm assuming.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2021, 03:58:38 PM

I think those chiefs have enough political acumen to know that saying "we're endorsing another candidate" at a party event is a bit of a "fuck you."
[/quote]

I'm sure it is - I just don't think it reflects badly on the chiefs as you say.

All kinds of moves against your political opponents can be seen as a "fuck you" - but if they're effective then good for you.

Barrister

So the last couple of days political news has been about these anti-mask protests at each of Trudeau's political stops.  The protestors have been quite graphic, rude and even threatening.

Does this move the political dial?  On the one hand the causes the protestors are supporting (anti-mask, anti-vaccine) are not popular, so by allowing to present himself as being pro-mask and pro-vaccine might help him.  But on two other hands - can he really tie the protestors to the Conservatives?  And doesn't it reflect badly on the Trudeau team they're not able to better handle these protestors?

Back in the 1993 election I went with a bunch of U of M students to protest / be visible at a Chretien stop to advocate for student issues.  The Liberal team of the day did a masterful job of boxing us out / making sure we wouldn't get on camera.

crazy canuck

The Conservatives have already tied the protesters to them by saying that those who participated are no longer welcome to campaign for the Conservatives.  A good move by O'Toole and makes him look like the moderate he wishes to portray.   I don't think anyone will think this reflects badly on the Liberal organizers of those events.  Rather the narrative being reported is that these protests are beyond the pale and in excess of anything seen before.  So how were the organizers supposed to anticipate that kind of crazy.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2021, 04:38:19 PM

All kinds of moves against your political opponents can be seen as a "fuck you" - but if they're effective then good for you.

Ah yeah, you may have context I don't. I assumed that the chiefs are politicians with an interest in working with a variety of politicians to further the interests of the people they represent - and that they might want to maintain good working relationships with the NDP. If that's the case, then I think the move reflects poorly on them.

If that's not the case and those chiefs are partisans of the Liberal party then yeah and this was deliberately staged to mess with the NDP, then it's clever.

But that's on me an my assumptions :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 31, 2021, 05:00:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2021, 04:38:19 PM

Ah yeah, you may have context I don't. I assumed that the chiefs are politicians with an interest in working with a variety of politicians to further the interests of the people they represent - and that they might want to maintain good working relationships with the NDP. If that's the case, then I think the move reflects poorly on them.

If that's not the case and those chiefs are partisans of the Liberal party then yeah and this was deliberately staged to mess with the NDP, then it's clever.

But that's on me an my assumptions :)

I think you both have it wrong.  You are both making assumptions based on the Chiefs supporting one party over the other.  As they made clear, that is definitely not what they are doing.  The are supporting indigenous candidates - whatever party they are running for.  It just so happens there is one such candidate in that riding.  As I said, above, the NDP illustrated why simply being ally is not enough.  The NDP should have known that was the policy of the Chiefs, but did not take the time to know that particular detail.