News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Election 2021

Started by Josephus, August 15, 2021, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 27, 2021, 02:43:39 PM
Yeah, plenty of reason for O'Toole and his supporters to be optimistic. I guess maybe we won't get inexpensive daycare after all.
Would you rather pay for one place at 30$/day with a 20$ tax credit or 3 places (for one unborn kid) at 10$/day, no tax credit?

Most parents here reserve -and pay- for at least 2 places for their kids, before they are born.  7$/day.  And even at this minimum, it's cheaper in the long run to pay the full price (20-25$/day/child) and take the tax credits. And you only need one place, since the private has no shortage of places.  Unlike the public, always in shortage.

Beware of Libs bearing gifts.  ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2021, 10:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 27, 2021, 02:43:39 PM
Yeah, plenty of reason for O'Toole and his supporters to be optimistic. I guess maybe we won't get inexpensive daycare after all.
Would you rather pay for one place at 30$/day with a 20$ tax credit or 3 places (for one unborn kid) at 10$/day, no tax credit?

Most parents here reserve -and pay- for at least 2 places for their kids, before they are born.  7$/day.  And even at this minimum, it's cheaper in the long run to pay the full price (20-25$/day/child) and take the tax credits. And you only need one place, since the private has no shortage of places.  Unlike the public, always in shortage.

Beware of Libs bearing gifts.  ;)

You can't afford 30 a day. You can only afford 10 a day. What do you do?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2021, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 12:10:24 PM
Proposing to twist federal law in knots to create a special application of language laws is just one more nail in the coffin.  I have no difficulty with a province legislating within its constitutional jurisdiction.  The Feds have no constitutional jurisdiction to create special regional federal laws.  It is political pandering pure and simple.
How would your protect the rights of French speaking workers in Quebec then?

Did you read the second sentence in my post?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2021, 10:19:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 12:19:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2021, 12:16:47 PM
That's like me saying I would consider voting Green if they endorsed fiscal responsibility and nuclear power.

I mean it's true - I would - but that's never going to happen.

See that is why I don't believe O'Toole when he says the Conservatives will take climate change seriously. Ain't never going to happen.  As you say.
Which party takes global warming seriously?
Which party has ever taken global warming seriously, with realistic, concrete proposals to be implemented/implemented once they won the election?

What do you mean by seriously?  The Liberal party created a nation wide carbon tax and with the other enhancements to their policy platform are widely regarded by the scientific community as the party with the most credible plan. Go back and read the Globe and Mail analysis one or two weeks ago if you are interested.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 28, 2021, 04:26:21 PM
You can't afford 30 a day. You can only afford 10 a day. What do you do?
In the end, it cost lest.  If you absolutely can't afford it immediatlty and wait for the tax credit/child care payement 4 momths later, then you find a less costly alternative until you can, or you find a better job.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2021, 05:52:38 PM
What do you mean by seriously?  The Liberal party created a nation wide carbon tax
Very nice thing.  Everything costs more, but our carbon emissions have increased, while other OECD countries have seen theirs go down.

How are they serious about it?

and with the other enhancements to their policy platform are widely regarded by the scientific community as the party with the most credible plan. Go back and read the Globe and Mail analysis one or two weeks ago if you are interested.
they've been regarded as the party witht he most credible plan since 1993.  How have our emissions gone since then?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 28, 2021, 08:32:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2021, 05:52:38 PM
What do you mean by seriously?  The Liberal party created a nation wide carbon tax
Very nice thing.  Everything costs more, but our carbon emissions have increased, while other OECD countries have seen theirs go down.

How are they serious about it?

and with the other enhancements to their policy platform are widely regarded by the scientific community as the party with the most credible plan. Go back and read the Globe and Mail analysis one or two weeks ago if you are interested.
they've been regarded as the party witht he most credible plan since 1993.  How have our emissions gone since then?

So by serious you meant policies that you agree with?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2021, 12:22:50 AM

So by serious you meant policies that you agree with?
Policies that are implemented and effective.  The carbon tax in itself does not do anything, unless you jack it up 10x.  Demand for oil is inelastic.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 04:35:06 PM
edit: Jacob beat me to it.  The Conservative plan seems tailored to appeal to their base rather than, as they claim, helping all people in Canada have affordable child care.

If the people of Canada truly wanted affordable child care, they would already have provincial programs for this.  But since you all rely on the Feds to do something about every single problem in your provinces, here we go.

Unless the Feds modulate their program to tailor the reality of every area in Canada, there'll be no such thing as a universal, affordable daycare program.  The cost of a daycare in Vancouver ain't the same as in my hometown. Either you give too much to one, or not enough to another.

alfred russel

What's the deal with Jagmeet Singh? How delusional is the idea that he could end up prime minister as part of a deal with liberals in a split parliament?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2021, 05:18:31 AM
What's the deal with Jagmeet Singh? How delusional is the idea that he could end up prime minister as part of a deal with liberals in a split parliament?

100%. If Singh is PM it will be because the NDP has won the plurality of seats. There will be no formal deals.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 30, 2021, 05:18:31 AM

You may have misunderstood an answer he gave to a question of whether he would support a Conservative minority government.  He answered that he was running to become PM (which means winning a plurality of seats).  But he did again confirm that if the Conservatives had a minority government he did not see how he could support it.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 03:32:12 PM
How does this remotely help the poor afford day care better than the Liberal plan? 
Non working poor do not need access to daycare, unless they are actively seeking a job.

Working poor certainly need access to daycare, but among these, even at 7$ or 5$ a day, if they have many children (like >2), if they're going to work at close to minimum wage, it's often better for one of the parent (usually the mom) to stay home with the kids.  Financial/fiscal help from the governments will often make that more advantageous.  In the case of someone I know, combined family income would put them at 7-8$/day for daycare, for 5 kids.  If she stays home, she saves the daycare costs and she gets increase family allocations.

There are certainly better ways to help low income workers than access to relatively cheap daycare that will most likely never materialize in many areas due to shortage of places.  And again, paying 2x 10$ for the kid before it is even born kinda negates the benefits.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2021, 05:49:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2021, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 12:10:24 PM
Proposing to twist federal law in knots to create a special application of language laws is just one more nail in the coffin.  I have no difficulty with a province legislating within its constitutional jurisdiction.  The Feds have no constitutional jurisdiction to create special regional federal laws.  It is political pandering pure and simple.
How would your protect the rights of French speaking workers in Quebec then?

Did you read the second sentence in my post?

It does not address how to protect the rights of French speaking workers in Quebec.  And I still haven't seen anything from any party to protect the rights of French speaking workers across Canada.

Barrister

In Manitoba, the head of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, and the head of another organization that represents northern Manitoba first nations, endorse the Liberal candidate in the northern riding of Churchill.  A big part of their reasoning is that the Liberal candidate is first nations, while the NDP MP (Niki Ashton) is not.

So far nothing too unusual.

What was unusual was they did so standing in front of Jagmeet Singh at an NDP-organized event.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/first-nations-leader-endorse-liberal-candidate-1.6159401?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.