News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meditations on Turning 40

Started by Razgovory, August 06, 2021, 08:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Ugh.  Today I'm 40.  I still haven't gotten over turning 30, and now this.  I don't think I get enough credit for acting like an adult.  Today I was at the grocery store buying milk and pointedly not running up and down the aisles with my arms outstretched making air plane noises like a 37 year old. I can't help but think but that my restraint was underappreciated.

Also, nobody is impressed when you know stuff.  In high school I really impressed the Latin teacher by knowing that Latin word "Formica" meant ant (ant venom is called formic acid.  I used to be good at science).  In college I impressed a professor by noting the similarities between the Oration of Pericles and the Gettysburg address.  Today, nobody gives a shit.  Hell, half the time people won't even believe me.  "No, Hitler didn't take over Europe by destroying statues.  He had armies with tanks and guns to do that."

Blarg.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Happy birthday.

I'll try that thing with my arms next time I find myself at the grocery store. I am 37 afterall.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Rex Francorum

Well, I had no problem having 40. Just a number. I will be 50 in 3 weeks and it still just a number.
To rent

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

Raz, you are good people.  Not in the yee-haw! way, but more in the "nod and slight smile hiding a laugh" way.  You are appreciated.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

And fly around the supermarket like that, try to get thee others to follow you in a finger-four formation.  Make people laugh, make them think.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

chipwich

Trivia in general has less stock since Wikipedia got traction.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

You're pretty lucky if you haven't also noticed physical changes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Hair where there was no hair before. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on August 07, 2021, 12:25:43 AM
And fly around the supermarket like that, try to get thee others to follow you in a finger-four formation.  Make people laugh, make them think.

:yes: Use the Thatch Weave and really get them to think deeply about Pacific War air tactics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: PDH on August 07, 2021, 12:24:10 AM
Raz, you are good people.  Not in the yee-haw! way, but more in the "nod and slight smile hiding a laugh" way.  You are appreciated.

This, indeed.

Happy Birthday Raz. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Happy birthday Raz!

Turning 40 was, well, I don't really remember actually.