Climate Change - The Languish 'Community' Responses?

Started by mongers, July 24, 2021, 07:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Still a few temperate rainforests in the UK.

And on Europe I think re-planting forests is a big thing governments have committed to. Of course that's unlikely to offset the fact that the Amazon is now a net emitter of carbon which is alarming - and once temperatures are locked in and the Siberian permafrost melts there's a huge amount of trapped methane that will be released locking in further change. And I don't think it's right to say that the developing world doesn't care about climate or that burning down forests is uncontroversial it's a huge political issue in Brazil - trouble is the side in office at the minute is like the GOP they don't believe in climate change and they've ripped up masses of legislation that tried to protect the Amazon.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2021, 11:16:27 AM

Yeah plastic bags are a big problem. It's why Rwanda and I think some other African countries now have banned them.

Europe didn't have rainforests, silly.
Akchualllyyyyyy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest
Quote from: Tamas on July 27, 2021, 11:04:11 AM
Yeah the rainforest thing is one thing that always irked me. I mean obviously they should be preserved, but wasn't much of Europe a big bloody forest as well? We got rid most of it, built wealthy economies in its place, and then we started telling the rest of the world to stay poor and undeveloped otherwise they endanger our lives of comfort and luxury.

You see this excuse a lot but the problem with it is when Europe did this we were a lot less informed about the negative effects it would have. There was little conception that cutting down the forests might have a lasting impact.

Additionally nations looking to develop today have far more options than in the 19th century. Slashing down the forests for mineral extraction is neither the only nor necessarily best way to go.

Mineral extraction is in fact necessary to sustain the green technologies - and especially the battery capacity that underpins the whole thing.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

You see this excuse a lot but the problem with it is when Europe did this we were a lot less informed about the negative effects it would have. There was little conception that cutting down the forests might have a lasting impact.

Additionally nations looking to develop today have far more options than in the 19th century. Slashing down the forests for mineral extraction is neither the only nor necessarily best way to go.

Fair enough yet we don't look keen to move to favellas and let our golf courses and mines be taken back by nature.

Syt

Didn't the deforestation of the Mediterranean in ancient times massively increase erosion and decrease soil quality and mess up local climates?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 27, 2021, 11:46:02 AM

Fair enough yet we don't look keen to move to favellas and let our golf courses and mines be taken back by nature.
If a party promises to transform golf courses into nature parks they've just gained 10% with me :p
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2021, 01:14:20 PM
If a party promises to transform golf courses into nature parks they've just gained 10% with me :p
I'm more for concreting them over into social housing for the young but that's just me :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on July 27, 2021, 12:11:18 PM
Didn't the deforestation of the Mediterranean in ancient times massively increase erosion and decrease soil quality and mess up local climates?

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor and not an ancient ecohistorian!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2021, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2021, 01:14:20 PM
I'm more for concreting them over into social housing for the young but that's just me :P

He is a homeowner now, every new home built on the island decreases his net worth :p

Josquius

My concern with using them for housing is more that they tend to be in fringe locations accessible only by car. Precisely the sort of place we shouldn't be building houses.
For housing we should be looking to develop villages with their own train station into new towns. And of course in cities developing brown field with new transport alongside the housing.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2021, 03:40:43 PM
My concern with using them for housing is more that they tend to be in fringe locations accessible only by car. Precisely the sort of place we shouldn't be building houses.
For housing we should be looking to develop villages with their own train station into new towns. And of course in cities developing brown field with new transport alongside the housing.
I just want to provoke the most rage in the golfers - so sure :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

golf course create nice large space for the creation of transportation hubs and housing, plus if done right you get all those electric carts to help people move around.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2021, 04:02:49 PM
golf course create nice large space for the creation of transportation hubs and housing, plus if done right you get all those electric carts to help people move around.

CC, we don't really have the room here for those sorts of developments.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 29, 2021, 07:30:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 27, 2021, 04:02:49 PM

CC, we don't really have the room here for those sorts of developments.

True, everything is full with ill-kept so called green belts and abandoned factories. Can't touch those.

mongers

A new independent climate change advisory group has been launched in the UK by some 'big names' in the scientific community:

https://www.climaterepair.eng.cam.ac.uk/climate-crisis-advisory-group

The Climate Crisis Advisory Group (CCAG) was created in response to the climate crisis, as a new advisory group to help inform the public, governments and financial institutions providing them with the most comprehensive science, and more crucially, guiding them towards action for climate repair.

They seem to reason that the Arctic is now at, or past a tipping point and so we need to be geo-engineering the climate there, now. And so help to buy us some time whilst we reduce greenhouse emissions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"