Climate Change - The Languish 'Community' Responses?

Started by mongers, July 24, 2021, 07:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

It's not a worry - it's a question: what then?

And my understanding is this already happens during off-peak hours in California (middle of the day when the solar is best but demand is low) there is so much excess supply of energy. In the short term we need to develop storage and subsidse installation of solar and wind - or maybe have a guaranteed wholesale price like we do with nuclear to cover the cost of installation rather than let the market make it potentially uneconomic. In the long run I wonder if it causes a shift in our concept of the economic.

Edit: I think it's also happened (though less commonly) in the UK with wind but I'm less sure.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

One thing I thought was creepy was that there is a company giving out smart meters in California that can then be centrally controlled so they can have temp set higher on days when they have alerts telling Californians to minimize their energy usage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Is this one of things where it is good to not do stuff?  Cause not doing stuff is something I've very good at.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2021, 09:29:52 AM
I'd also add that individual action is exactly the argument used by companies and government to excuse their inaction. I remember being at a friend's wedding and having an oil/gas lawyer explain how you can't really fault the oil companies - its all of our individual faults for creating demand and there's nothing more they can do but devastate the coast of Nigeria. In a sense they were right, in another, more important sense, they weren't :P

If you're reporting his comment accurately he made a very poor point.  Of course there's something they can do.  They can cease operations.

The better point IMO is the hypocrisy of the car-driving airplane traveling consumer bitching about oil companies.  They didn't hold a gun to your head.

Incidentally, one of the myriad advantages of a carbon tax is that it renders the blame game moot.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2021, 11:59:28 AM
It's not a worry - it's a question: what then?

And my understanding is this already happens during off-peak hours in California (middle of the day when the solar is best but demand is low) there is so much excess supply of energy. In the short term we need to develop storage and subsidse installation of solar and wind - or maybe have a guaranteed wholesale price like we do with nuclear to cover the cost of installation rather than let the market make it potentially uneconomic. In the long run I wonder if it causes a shift in our concept of the economic.

Edit: I think it's also happened (though less commonly) in the UK with wind but I'm less sure.

I don't understand the connection you are making between the ability to make electricity from solar panels at mid day and the cost of the energy.   Power companies may create pricing incentives to get people to attend to more of their end of day electricity consuming chores at other times of the day.  But, as you say, storage of solar and wind is the answer to what happens when the sun is not shining and the wind is not blowing.  And the cost of all that infrastructure is factored into the total price of the energy being produced.

Maladict

Say somehow we can get free, clean energy, and as much as anyone could ever wish for.
Would we not still be left with a massive problem, as all energy ends up as heat?

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on July 26, 2021, 12:55:08 PM
Say somehow we can get free, clean energy, and as much as anyone could ever wish for.
Would we not still be left with a massive problem, as all energy ends up as heat?

Not in the short and medium term, at least. We'd have to use a LOT more energy to make a difference globally.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on July 26, 2021, 12:55:08 PM

The amount of heat electrical generation and use might cause is miniscule compared to the heat of the Sun.  The problem is not heat generation.  The problem is the greenhouse cases trapping the heat.

HVC

I appreciate Mongers playing real life frogger to atone for mankind's carbon sins, though i don't know how effective it is.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2021, 02:40:39 PM
I appreciate Mongers playing real life frogger to atone for mankind's carbon sins, though i don't know how effective it is.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I've been recycling ever since it was possible to do it over here (maybe some 25 years ago, I think).
I don't go around driving for fun, wasting fuel in the process.  Whatever I can recuperate/reuse, I do.
I try to buy more quality stuff that will last longer and be easier to repair than jump on the latest special.
I've started reducing my dependancy on animal protein but it is damn tough.  And I still hate soja/tofu.
I've reinsulated parts of my home to reduce the use of combustible during winter.
I'm thinking/planning on going geothermal in a few years, if the prices drop.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rex Francorum

To rent

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2021, 08:17:17 PM
I've been recycling ever since it was possible to do it over here (maybe some 25 years ago, I think).
I don't go around driving for fun, wasting fuel in the process.  Whatever I can recuperate/reuse, I do.
I try to buy more quality stuff that will last longer and be easier to repair than jump on the latest special.
I've started reducing my dependancy on animal protein but it is damn tough.  And I still hate soja/tofu.
I've reinsulated parts of my home to reduce the use of combustible during winter.
I'm thinking/planning on going geothermal in a few years, if the prices drop.

:cool:

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2021, 12:28:35 PM
Is this one of things where it is good to not do stuff?  Cause not doing stuff is something I've very good at.

No, apparently you should carry on as normal and governments will magically transform the world, without most people having to adapt their behaviour to the changing climate. 

Now if your normal is not doing too much, then that may help or it may send us back to the stone age.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on July 26, 2021, 10:03:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2021, 12:28:35 PM

No, apparently you should carry on as normal and governments will magically transform the world, without most people having to adapt their behaviour to the changing climate. 

Now if your normal is not doing too much, then that may help or it may send us back to the stone age.  :hmm:

I mean ultimately what is "normal" has to be fixed. A few principled people wearing hair shirts and living in caves is admirable but all humans in the entire world have to participate here.

In any case I have solar panels that generate more power than my house uses every year and I have a hybrid car that I don't even drive much anymore thanks to the endless pandemic. My next car will be electric and will be mostly powered by my solar panels. I certainly obsessively recycle as well.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."