Collect $4 million. Go to Jail. Do not pass Go.

Started by Josephus, July 22, 2009, 08:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Toronto guy arrested after picking up Lotto winnings.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/668973

DALE ANNE FREED
STAFF REPORTER
Some guys have all the luck.

That's what Barry Shell of Brampton likely thought Monday when he went to pick up his nearly $4.4 million jackpot at Ontario Lottery and Gaming headquarters on Dundas St. W.

But after a smiling Shell, 45, had posed for an OLG photo holding his cheque for $4,377,298, he was arrested outside the building on outstanding criminal charges and taken into police custody.

Instead of escaping to a five-star getaway, he was kept overnight and appeared in a Brampton courtroom yesterday on charges of failing to appear, theft under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime.

A warrant for his arrest was issued after Shell failed to show up for a 2003 court date.

Const. Adam Minnion of Peel police said: "The OPP contacted Peel police and said, 'This person is wanted on an outstanding warrant, would you like to return for him?' "

Peel police said they'd go and get him, Minnion said.

Asked how a lottery win could result in the discovery of outstanding warrants, Rui Brum from OLG said last night: "A rigorous investigation process is followed any time a prize is claimed.

"Any flags that are raised are immediately forwarded to the OPP Bureau attached to the AGCO (the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario) for further investigation."

In an OLG press release announcing Shell's win, he is quoted as saying: "I went to the store and checked my ticket on the self-serve ticket checker.

"As soon as I saw how much I had won, I grabbed a pen and signed my ticket."

He had bought the winning ticket at a Petro Canada on Kennedy Rd. N. in Brampton.

The OLG press release concludes: "The 45-year-old has no immediate plans for the windfall."

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I think I remember a similar story from the US once.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

They used to run sting operations in Rochester where the police would rent out a set of connecting suites. They'd send letters to the last known addresses of wanted criminals saying that they had won Bills tickets. They'd come to pick up the tickets and be lead to the other room after filling out some info (address and other personal info important to locating them in the future) and BAM.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

:lmfao:

Actually, I think this is what I'm remembering.  The LMPD did something like that here to pick up a bunch of deadbeat dads or something.

DGuller

Meh, so what?  It would be an amusing story if this guy was wanted for crimes that carry death penalty.  I'd gladly take a rap for these crimes if I could get $4 mil, especially if I was wanted by Canadians.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2009, 08:49:32 AM
:lmfao:

Actually, I think this is what I'm remembering.  The LMPD did something like that here to pick up a bunch of deadbeat dads or something.
Wouldn't it be amusing if some judge later declared those fake lotto winnings to be legally binding?

Caliga

I don't think it'd really matter.  The irony of winning the lottery is that many of the folks who play it are far too stupid to manage large sums of money.  They'd probably blow it all on toys they can't afford and end up ruined financially.

I used to watch a homeless guy beg for money back when I lived in Boston--he staked out a corner near my apartment where he hit up people leaving a 7-Eleven--and wonder what he would do with $20 million... put the cash into his shopping card and sleep on it?

KRonn

Quote from: Strix on July 22, 2009, 08:48:38 AM
They used to run sting operations in Rochester where the police would rent out a set of connecting suites. They'd send letters to the last known addresses of wanted criminals saying that they had won Bills tickets. They'd come to pick up the tickets and be lead to the other room after filling out some info (address and other personal info important to locating them in the future) and BAM.
Yeah, seems the Massachusetts cops do that too sometimes. I'd think by now that criminals would realize the scam, and some probably do, but not all of them get the memo.

Caliga

A lot of criminals (maybe even a majority) are greedy and stupid, so it's not surprising that it keeps working.

The Minsky Moment

One would think that Bills tickets would be sufficient punishment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

What if someone else was living at that address now and showed up to pick up the tickets?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2009, 10:05:02 AM

The fans of the Bills are weird people. The team hasn't been to the play-offs in almost a decade and they still have as good if not better attendance than when the team went to all the Superbowls. Basically a Bill's game is nothing more than a huge block party with the game being secondary.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 22, 2009, 10:52:53 AM
What if someone else was living at that address now and showed up to pick up the tickets?

Have them sign their names than arrest them for Criminal Impersonation and Fraud. You can add in some new arrests along with closing out old warrants. Why discriminate?

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2009, 10:05:02 AM

Years ago there was a cable company that rather than cutting off cable of nonpayers, made CSPAN the only channel they could get. They claimed this increased the rates people resumed payment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 22, 2009, 11:21:30 AM
Years ago there was a cable company that rather than cutting off cable of nonpayers, made CSPAN the only channel they could get. They claimed this increased the rates people resumed payment.
:lol: