News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reinstalling XP Pro... help

Started by Valdemar, July 20, 2009, 05:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

The device manager indicated that nothing had drivers.. as in LAN, sound and so on... got the driver to the ethernet working and is now installing Win XP SPs and updates, will fix remaining drivers later if the Win Update doesn't handle it :)

Thanks fellas for the tips and advice :)

V

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valdemar on July 21, 2009, 03:10:52 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2009, 06:38:27 PM
If it is a built in LAN, that is part of the mobo or just a PCI you'll need the drivers. XP does not have all the drivers, remember that XP came out a good number of years ago now.

All right, but shouldn't it put a default driver in, just like it does for mouse, monitor and so on?

IF I can find the drivers somehow, then how do I install them then? Windows seems unable to recognise there even IS a card avaialbe, much less that it needs drivers, the hardware wizrds are at a loss :D

V
Nope.  Keyboards and mice generally are standard enough that generally won't need manufacturer supplied drivers just to work.  But there is a wide variety of NICS and motherboards out there. 

PDH!

Valdemar

Further, equipping the new old PC..

Whats the best, and least ressource hugging free Antivir to install?

V

Cerr

Quote from: Valdemar on July 22, 2009, 02:01:56 PM
Further, equipping the new old PC..

Whats the best, and least ressource hugging free Antivir to install?

V
Avira AntiVir.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 20, 2009, 07:26:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2009, 06:49:38 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2009, 06:47:00 PM
Macbooks are for pretty boyz or care about their flaire.  This ain't the 90s when Macs meant good hardware.

Actually the new MacBook Pro line looks to have very good hardware.   :huh:

Top players don't always work well together, as was discovered in the case of S' MacBook Pro (video chipset problems). Anyway, they're now using the same "very good hardware" that you can get optioned into a PC. It boils down to whether you want to pay for the name and a few pretty but useless bells and whistles.

Uh, no.  The Unibody construction is more than just pretty.  Multi-touch is more than a bell and whistle.  You can't get that stuff on a PC - and thats putting aside OS X.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 22, 2009, 02:14:32 PM
Multi-touch is more than a bell and whistle.

:yes:

It fundamentally changes the way that people use computers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.