News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reinstalling XP Pro... help

Started by Valdemar, July 20, 2009, 05:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Hi Fellas,

Been a while since I was last here, but once again I need the help of the sharpest minds on the net ;)

I reinstalled an old PC yesterday with the proper XP Pro CD and reformatting and all, everything went fine... until I plugged in the LAN cable....

It wont go on the internet, in fact it wont even recognise there IS a net card in it  :huh:

I can't in any of the conrol panel options find a way to make it find, and possibly install, the net card so I can get onwards...

I SEEM to recall I had a similar problem last time I reinstalled the PC, but I can't recall how I solved it...

Help..

Please? :)

V

DGuller

I've had the same problem when I built my new computer a couple of weeks ago, and installed Vista.  I then realized that I forgot to install motherboard drivers, which solved it.

Valdemar

Thanks Dguller... but that begs then.. how to do that???? Shouldn't XP install default drivers like it does for mouse and so on?

V

Josquius

You've obviously got the internet somehow. Why can't you just search for and download the drivers for this card and then transfer them over onto the computer in question?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Is the LAN card on the mobo? Then get the drivers for it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Valdemar on July 20, 2009, 05:32:55 PM
Thanks Dguller... but that begs then.. how to do that???? Shouldn't XP install default drivers like it does for mouse and so on?

V
Can't help you there, I've had a disk with my mobo.  Hopefully you can find the drivers on the Internet somewhere.

Darth Wagtaros

If it is a built in LAN, that is part of the mobo or just a PCI you'll need the drivers. XP does not have all the drivers, remember that XP came out a good number of years ago now. 

PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2009, 05:52:54 PM
I hate my Vista.

Word.

I am contemplating junking everything on my laptop and doing a fresh install of Win 7 (or maybe just XP).  But then again I kind of want to throw the whole damn thing out the window and buy a MacBook next spring.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Macbooks are for pretty boyz or care about their flaire.  This ain't the 90s when Macs meant good hardware.
PDH!

Grey Fox

If you decide to throw it out, be kind & mail it to me ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2009, 06:47:00 PM
Macbooks are for pretty boyz or care about their flaire.  This ain't the 90s when Macs meant good hardware.

Actually the new MacBook Pro line looks to have very good hardware.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

BEEEEP! WRONG!  They are made by slave laborers and Jaron's relatives.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2009, 06:49:38 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2009, 06:47:00 PM

Actually the new MacBook Pro line looks to have very good hardware.   :huh:

Top players don't always work well together, as was discovered in the case of S' MacBook Pro (video chipset problems). Anyway, they're now using the same "very good hardware" that you can get optioned into a PC. It boils down to whether you want to pay for the name and a few pretty but useless bells and whistles.
Experience bij!

Valdemar

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 20, 2009, 06:38:27 PM
If it is a built in LAN, that is part of the mobo or just a PCI you'll need the drivers. XP does not have all the drivers, remember that XP came out a good number of years ago now.

All right, but shouldn't it put a default driver in, just like it does for mouse, monitor and so on?

IF I can find the drivers somehow, then how do I install them then? Windows seems unable to recognise there even IS a card avaialbe, much less that it needs drivers, the hardware wizrds are at a loss :D

V