News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bill Cosby sex abuse scandal

Started by Caliga, November 24, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

And yes the DA who issued the stupid press release was the same idiot that represented Trump at his least Senate impeachment trial. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Bill Cosby walked out of prison, got on a bus, and rode it to a long rock wall. Next to a big oak, he found a letter. He is following it to Mexico where he will meet Epstein working on his boat.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Jonathan Turley came out and said the court is "clearly correct" - so we have an additional indicator that the court got it completely wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Other shoes already dropping fast

QuoteThe attorney of Ghislaine Maxwell, the associate of deceased convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, has said that the case against her should be thrown on on the same legal grounds as those used to free accused rapist Bill Cosby.

"She should not have to fight her case at trial and her case should be thrown out, just like Cosby's has been, because prosecutors promised Epstein when he pleaded guilty that they would not prosecute her," Maxwell's appellate counsel, David Oscar Markus, wrote in a Daily News op-ed published Wednesday.

Markus' comment refers to a 2007 plea deal that Epstein struck with federal prosecutors in Miami. The deal stated that, in exchange for Epstein's pleading guilty to soliciting prostitution (rather than child sex trafficking), the U.S. attorney's office would "not institute any criminal charges against potential co-conspirators of Epstein."

From https://www.newsweek.com/bill-cosby-ruling-shows-why-ghislaine-maxwell-should-freed-her-lawyer-says-1605828

Fortunately there is hope that not every state supreme court will be as confused as PA is.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

What are the chances that Cosby goes back to prison?

alfred russel

I think if I was Bill Cosby I'd consider taking this opportunity to move to a country without an extradition treaty, and possibly as much money as I could out of US bank accounts (possibly into cash).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Solmyr

In before he gets offered Russian citizenship by Putin.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2021, 10:19:27 AM

You'd have to look at the statute of limitations that apply to all the other victims and incidents.
Probably not good.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2021, 12:31:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2021, 10:19:27 AM

You'd have to look at the statute of limitations that apply to all the other victims and incidents.
Probably not good.

As I understand it, he was brought up on charges in the final days of the statute of limitations. So next to none for the current spate of women (all 40+ of them) who accused him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

jimmy olsen

Can the state appeal to the US Supreme Court, or is the state court as high as it goes?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2021, 09:16:50 PM
Can the state appeal to the US Supreme Court, or is the state court as high as it goes?

The answer, as usual, depends on why the state court made their decision.  If it rested purely on an interpretation of the Pennsylvania constitution or law, then the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is the ultimate authority.  If it rested on an interpretation of the US Constitution (or if the relevant PA constitutional provision has been interpreted previously by PA courts as "same as the US Constitution") then it could go to the Supreme Court of the United States.  I haven't gotten sufficiently into the weeds of the decision to tell you, but the odds are no, it can't be appealed.

grumbler

On what grounds could they appeal the PA Supreme Court's ruling on PA state law?  Governments don't have rights protected by the US Constitution.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on July 01, 2021, 10:20:44 PM

The answer, as usual, depends on why the state court made their decision.  If it rested purely on an interpretation of the Pennsylvania constitution or law, then the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is the ultimate authority.  If it rested on an interpretation of the US Constitution (or if the relevant PA constitutional provision has been interpreted previously by PA courts as "same as the US Constitution") then it could go to the Supreme Court of the United States.  I haven't gotten sufficiently into the weeds of the decision to tell you, but the odds are no, it can't be appealed.

If there was a situation where a State's Constitution conflicts with a amendment to the US Constitution, or with a new Federal law, is that up to the US Supreme Court to rule on it?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

A state constitution can provide for greater procedural protections then the federal constitution but not less.

It's hard to say to what extent the PA ruling for Cosby was based on state vs federal law because the opinion is a real mess of legal draftsmanship and the reasoning is unclear.  The core basis of the opinion seems to be the principle of promissory estoppel - which is a contract law idea governed by state law - but the alleged promise is significant because of its effect on Cosby's federal constitutional rights under the 5th amendment.

If a state conviction is overturned by an appeals court, the state can appeal that up to the highest court of the state without creating double jeopardy problems.  However, if the state's highest court rules against the prosecution, I don't know if the state can appeal to the USSC, even if it involves a question of federal law. A defendant in the analogous situation could go to the federal system on a writ of habeas or under some circumstances for directly to the Supreme Court but I don't know if the state can.
--Joan Robinson