Main Menu

Pentathlon Pillow Fighting?

Started by Jacob, February 02, 2022, 01:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on February 02, 2022, 05:30:30 AM
You been drinking Jake?

When I posted this? No, not recently.

The pillow fighting was a legitimate (but perhaps sarcastic) suggestion from Pentathlon United, one of the international groups for the sport (or perhaps the only one?) - as they oppose removing riding.

The Larch

They can include chess-boxing...  :ph34r:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 02, 2022, 10:58:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 02, 2022, 03:13:07 AM
Why is riding out?

I think because that German coach (I think he was German) punched a horse last time around, which prompted a review that led to allegations that there was too much animal abuse involved in riding for Pentathlon. In any case, the Olympic committee ruled that they were dropping the riding component of Pentathlon.

Edit: it was the competitor - Annika Schleu and her coach. She was leading the competition until the riding component, when her horse was uncooperative - resulting in what was widely seen as animal abuse on open camera (as I understand it, I didn't see it myself).

I don't remember the horse punching if I ever saw it but her ride was a heartbreaking mess. An athlete being unable to perform because an unfamiliar animal was having none of it.

What a stupid discipline.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2022, 11:13:19 AM
I don't remember the horse punching if I ever saw it but her ride was a heartbreaking mess. An athlete being unable to perform because an unfamiliar animal was having none of it.

What a stupid discipline.

Yeah, I guess it could be avoided by having competitors bring their own horses - but that would massively increase the financial barrier to training and competing.