News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pentathlon Pillow Fighting?

Started by Jacob, February 02, 2022, 01:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently the Pillow Fight Championship (PFC) - the world's first professional pillow fight league - held their title fight in the US this last weekend, for a belt and $5,000.

Now it has been suggested that Pillowfighting could replace riding as the fifth sport of the Pentathlon at the Olympics (since riding is out after the next time around).

What do you think? What should they do instead of riding?

Syt

I mean, if you take a pillow, swung at full force, to your head, is there a chance of whiplash? I recall as a kid we liked to do pillow fights in the dark and that could get quite brutal if memory serves correctly. (Heavy down pillows can have quite an impact if used incorrectly. Or correctly. Depends on your point of view.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I wonder what the rules are? Is there a KO? Is it points based? What are the points based on?

So many questions....

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

I wonder what a regulation pillow looks like. Is it weighted? Can it be still be used for sleeping?  :hmm:

Syt

Will this be sponsored by Mike Lindell?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

mongers

Glimpsed the thread title and read it as 'Pentagon pillow fighting' and thought, "Yep that figures".  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on February 02, 2022, 03:13:07 AM
Why is riding out?
I thought it was because it is an elitist sport that requires you to come from a privileged wealthy background. Not at all like the other Olympic sports.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 02, 2022, 07:53:31 AM
Why is riding out?
I thought it was because it is an elitist sport that requires you to come from a privileged wealthy background. Not at all like the other Olympic sports.

The rules had riders be assigned random horses from the other competitors. This (rider with unfamiliar horse) with the difficulty of the terrain led to many injuries for the horses.

At least I think that's the reason.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on February 02, 2022, 04:57:29 AM
Will this be sponsored by Mike Lindell?

This is how Mike Lindell got his start; he had a number of underground Pillow Fight Clubs and things just sort of spiraled out of control.  In fact Donald Trump doesn't really exist; he's just an idealized projection of Mike Lindell which he created due to his loneliness and insomnia.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Why is riding out?

I think because that German coach (I think he was German) punched a horse last time around, which prompted a review that led to allegations that there was too much animal abuse involved in riding for Pentathlon. In any case, the Olympic committee ruled that they were dropping the riding component of Pentathlon.

Edit: it was the competitor - Annika Schleu and her coach. She was leading the competition until the riding component, when her horse was uncooperative - resulting in what was widely seen as animal abuse on open camera (as I understand it, I didn't see it myself).