Enormous mega comet discovered entering the solar system. At least 100km across

Started by jimmy olsen, June 26, 2021, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That is a huge comet. Almost a rouge dwarf planet.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2281756-an-enormous-mega-comet-is-flying-into-our-solar-system/amp/#click=https://t.co/CzX8oqYwzq

QuoteAn enormous 'mega comet' is flying into our solar system
SPACE 21 June 2021
By Jonathan O'Callaghan

New Scientist Default Image
A large object in the outer solar system may be a "mega comet"

MARK GARLICK/Getty Images/Science Photo Library RF

Astronomers have discovered a huge and previously unknown object entering our solar system that will reach the orbit of Saturn in 2031. It is possibly the largest body from the outer reaches of our solar system ever found to make such a close approach to the sun.

Known as 2014 UN271, it is estimated to be between 100 and 370 kilometres across. The object was spotted by the Dark Energy Survey (DES), a project using the Victor ...

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

That cigar-shaped "asteroid" was the probe and having found signs of life, the ship enters our solar system.  :ph34r:

Darth Wagtaros

It could be a mass of smaller objects held together by gravity.  Perhaps Saturn will eat it ala Shoemaker levy.
PDH!

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2021, 08:45:28 AM
That is a huge comet. Almost a rouge dwarf planet.

I thought Mars was the rouge planet?

That aside, cool news, thanks for posting :hug:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2021, 10:48:08 PM
Is it going to hit earth?

Elon and Jeff are willing to go blow it up, but they're still looking for a plucky female sidekick.  Plus they would like guarantees on the wealth tax.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!