News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weirdest Extinct Animals

Started by Queequeg, July 21, 2009, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 22, 2009, 01:45:17 PM

The Zalambdelestes, one of my favourites. One of those first small mammals, who survived all kind of disasters and could be called one of our ancestors.

Looks, quite literally, like something the cat dragged in.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Spellus' original thread topic was racist anyways, against large Permian synapsids.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2009, 09:30:30 PM
Smelling like Drakkar Noir.

"When you put it on...something happens."

Gross Gott im Himmel!  :bleeding:

Jos Theelen

Strange evolution, Pakicetus: ended as whales

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2009, 01:52:20 PM
Spellus' original thread topic was racist anyways, against large Permian synapsids.
:rolleyes:
At least the Pareiasaurs had fantastically thick skin.  The early large herbivore synapsids were just silly.  At least Lystrosaurus was smart and could move reasonably quickly.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habsburg on July 22, 2009, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2009, 09:30:30 PM
Smelling like Drakkar Noir.

"When you put it on...something happens."

Gross Gott im Himmel!  :bleeding:

I got Drakkar Noir after shave as a gift. Pretty good stuff, but I'm not paying 40 bucks for aftershave.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Your natural scent

...is wonderful. -_-
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2009, 03:06:53 PM
Your natural scent

...is wonderful. -_-

Quote from: NapoleonI'll be home in 3 days. Don't bathe.

swallow

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 02:32:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 22, 2009, 01:52:20 PM
:rolleyes:
At least the Pareiasaurs had fantastically thick skin.  The early large herbivore synapsids were just silly.  At least Lystrosaurus was smart and could move reasonably quickly.
The pareiasaurs are much smaller animals.  Cotylorhynchus was ten times the size of the large, predatory pelycosaurs that would have been the top predators of the time.

Lystrosaurus came around almost 50 million years later, and occupied a different niche in the food chain.  It was quick (although not particularily smart?) and had a dangerous bite, but it lacked the huge size of the Cotylorhynchus.  In fact, the fact that it was relatively small no doubt helped it survive the Great Dying.  You're trying to compare Hyracotherium to a modern horse.

Besides, what's wrong with Edaphosaurus?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Opabinia.  Weird looking cambrian era bug.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017