South Carolina Law Makes Death Row Inmates Pick: Firing Squad Or Electric Chair?

Started by Syt, May 18, 2021, 07:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on May 18, 2021, 08:17:37 AM
Both seem horrible ways to die  :glare:

Better than the cancer etc. that most of us face.

A lot of people are under delusions that natural deaths like heart attacks aren't so bad. In some cases, that may be true. But I've seen people having heart attacks desperately fighting for breath as their lungs fill with fluid. Doesn't seem especially pleasant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on June 01, 2021, 12:59:04 PM
In related news....

QuoteArizona Prepares to Use Auschwitz Gas Zyklon B on Death Row Inmates
https://www.newsweek.com/auschwitz-gas-zyklon-b-arizona-death-row-inmates-1596402

See, this article is just scaremongering.

Zyclon-B was just the trade name of hydrogen cyanide.  It's an incredibly basic molecule, comprised of a hydrogen, a carbon, and a nitrogen atom.

Whether or not it is a humane and effective chemical to use in executions is one thing.  But to immediately link it to the holocaust is like saying that bullets are the same method of killing people as the nazis used.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Jesus fucking Christ Beeb.

They're gassing people. It is completely appropriate to draw parallels to the Nazis.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on June 01, 2021, 01:25:47 PM

They're gassing people. It is completely appropriate to draw parallels to the Nazis.

The Nazis were also made up of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen atoms. Don't understand why people get into such a twist about them - atomically-speaking they were pretty much the same as anyone else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Gas chamber has been a pretty normal method of execution.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2021, 02:15:56 PM

I hear it has been used millions of times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

What Yi said.  Gas chamber has been used in the US for a long time.  Quick googling suggests it was first used in 1924.

You can criticize the method all you want - it's not a subject I'm super familiar with.  But I don't think you need to bring the Nazis into it - nor the name Zyklon B.  Because unlike the Nazis the US is only using it after a full judicial process with various rights of appeal - not to indiscriminately murder people because of their religion or ethnic background.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Nah, there must have been a lot of countries that gassed people to death with hydrogen cyanide besides the Nazis.  And I'm sure Beeb is going to list them to prove his point that doing so is no big deal, even for the Nazis.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Not in the US.  It's ben 22 years since the gas chamber was used in the US, and the USSC has made the restrictions on it use "humanely" so onerous that no state nor the federal government has been willing to try to meet them.  I doubt that Arizona will, either.  This is just red meat for the republican base.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

The Nazis also hanged people with piano wire. Will you draw parallels with the Nazis if South Carolina implements that method of execution? What cool methods of execution are left to the South Carolinians?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 01, 2021, 03:05:14 PM

Not in the US.  It's ben 22 years since the gas chamber was used in the US, and the USSC has made the restrictions on it use "humanely" so onerous that no state nor the federal government has been willing to try to meet them.  I doubt that Arizona will, either.  This is just red meat for the republican base.

Completely pointless culture war laws are the new blue laws.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2021, 02:23:17 PM

What Yi said.  Gas chamber has been used in the US for a long time.  Quick googling suggests it was first used in 1924.

You can criticize the method all you want - it's not a subject I'm super familiar with.  But I don't think you need to bring the Nazis into it - nor the name Zyklon B.  Because unlike the Nazis the US is only using it after a full judicial process with various rights of appeal - not to indiscriminately murder people because of their religion or ethnic background.

The swastika was used innocuously for thousands of years, and now, in the West at least, it cannot be used innocuously.

Sometimes, perception IS everything.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.