South Carolina Law Makes Death Row Inmates Pick: Firing Squad Or Electric Chair?

Started by Syt, May 18, 2021, 07:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 11:29:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2021, 11:19:21 AMFiring squad seems to offer the best opportunities to traumatise your killers.

IIRC in firing squads a few of the people shooting are given blanks so they might have the mental consolation of maybe not having been them the ones that actually killed the executed person.
In East Germany, the method of execution was just one guy shooting you in the back of the head without prior warning. Not sure if that's more humane than making a big ceremony around the execution...

Of course, not executing persons at all should be what we strive for.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on May 18, 2021, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 11:29:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2021, 11:19:21 AMFiring squad seems to offer the best opportunities to traumatise your killers.

IIRC in firing squads a few of the people shooting are given blanks so they might have the mental consolation of maybe not having been them the ones that actually killed the executed person.
In East Germany, the method of execution was just one guy shooting you in the back of the head without prior warning.

Chinese style, then.  :P

The Francoist method of choice was the "garrote vil", which was a kind of strangulation that was meant to sever the spine but most of the time would end up strangling the victim.

The Brain

Sweden used guillotine the last time. It's still around, only used once!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Yeah France guillotined (as a humane and rationalist executer) until the late 70s.

After getting rid of the various vestigal medieval methods during the 19th century it was always hanging in the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 12:14:03 PM
Yeah France guillotined (as a humane and rationalist executer) until the late 70s.

After getting rid of the various vestigal medieval methods during the 19th century it was always hanging in the UK.

Yeah we famously hanged the Nazi war criminals after WWII. Not sure who the last person the US hanged was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on May 18, 2021, 11:55:28 AM
In East Germany, the method of execution was just one guy shooting you in the back of the head without prior warning. Not sure if that's more humane than making a big ceremony around the execution...

That was a Soviet thing, right? I remember seeing a Soviet execution when I was a kid (it was on the news).

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 18, 2021, 08:28:16 AM
QuoteSouth Carolina had been one of the most prolific states of its size in putting inmates to death

i'm not even sure what that sentence means.
it means they send a lot of people to death proportionate to their population.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 18, 2021, 09:13:21 AM
I understand what Tamas means: while we may think some people deserve to die, no one deserves to be an executioner.
even in your wildest dreams, you never thought once of strangling to death the likes of Tucker Carlson or Jeff Fillion?  Not even a pass for Marjorie Taylor Green?  You sure show some restraint! :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 18, 2021, 09:28:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2021, 09:12:11 AM
I wrote "some".

Yes, and the question is, why do you have such certainty that some deserve to die "horrible" deaths.
generally speaking, because some serial killers would have confessed to their crimes, or be found guilty beyond any reasonable doubts with real clear evidence, not just circumstancial evidence based on a witness who thinks all black men not only look alike but are all killers in waiting anyway.

I can think of some criminals in Canada who may have deserved the death penalty. But I still don't support it, like Thamas, for other reasons.

Zanza

Valmy

That will own the Libs for sure. BASF might have some left over cannisters laying around Arizona can use.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2021, 01:04:06 PM
That will own the Libs for sure. BASF might have some left over cannisters laying around Arizona can use.

Pretty sure they wouldn't be permitted to export it for that purpose. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.