News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Way to go EUFA  :rolleyes:
QuoteEuropean football association UEFA banned LGBT flags from appearing inside the Puskás Aréna in Budapest during the Euro 2020 clash between the Netherlands and Czech Republic, Dutch football association KNVB confirmed to NOS and Nu.nl. UEFA decided not to allow any flags other than those of countries participating in the tournament, the KNVB said. The ban also applied to the Oranje fan zone in Budapest. Numerous Dutch fans reported on social media that they were forced to hand in their rainbow flags to security personnel.

Sheilbh

Their theory really is that rainbow flags are not political and we fully support displaying them/diversity in football - unless the government is homophobic in which case they're provocative, political and need to be banned :bleeding: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Funny how UEFA/FIFA only need countries to adjust their rules if it affects their sponsors ....
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 27, 2021, 09:32:20 AM
Funny how UEFA/FIFA only need countries to adjust their rules if it affects their sponsors ....

Well, UEFA actually yielded to virtue-signaling al-Quran thumpers (hello Pogba), offended by alcohol-free "beer" produced by Heineken, so sponsors don't always get the last word.

Gambling and betting, forbidden by the Al-Quran do not seem to offend them though.  :hmm:

Tamas

Apparently it is not UEFA but "local authorities"

QuoteContrary to some reports in Dutch media, UEFA would like to clarify that it has not banned any rainbow-coloured symbols from the fan zone in Budapest, which is under the responsibility of the local authorities. UEFA would very much welcome any such symbol into the fan zone

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2021, 10:29:01 AM
Apparently it is not UEFA but "local authorities"

QuoteContrary to some reports in Dutch media, UEFA would like to clarify that it has not banned any rainbow-coloured symbols from the fan zone in Budapest, which is under the responsibility of the local authorities. UEFA would very much welcome any such symbol into the fan zone

But what about the stadium?

edit: apparently UEFA have now let the Hungarian authorities know the flags are to be allowed in the stadium. After all supporters already had them taken away, either in the fan zone or entering the stadium.

Tamas

Disgusting. They tried to lawyer-speak out of it with the fan zone thing.

I am sure glad the true football fans of Europe and England in particular made sure no financial loss fell on UEFA due to those 12 evil clubs!

Maladict

After the Tour de France and the Austrian Grand Prix turned orange today, Budapest up next  :cool:

looks up past record against the Czechs..... :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on June 27, 2021, 10:47:29 AM

Past record against Czechoslovaks, technically.  :nerd:

Tamas

Weren't there a lot of Pride month-themed adverts on the last match? Now I see none. Way to go making a stand.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 27, 2021, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 27, 2021, 10:47:29 AM

Past record against Czechoslovaks, technically.  :nerd:

It's bad enough against the Czechs. But even worse against Czechoslovakia, yes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2021, 11:06:27 AM
Weren't there a lot of Pride month-themed adverts on the last match? Now I see none. Way to go making a stand.
UEFA have approved rainbow/Pride themed adverts for all games. And a few companies, like Booking.com and Volkswagen, have said that's what they'll be showing in all their final stage adverts. I think I've seen a couple as in Amsterdam.

QuoteI am sure glad the true football fans of Europe and England in particular made sure no financial loss fell on UEFA due to those 12 evil clubs!
:lol:

I don't think anyone was saying UEFA are good now. In fact I think they've had a number of free hits since that debacle - not least their response to Eriksen's situation - and they've fluffed all of them really badly.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Dutch started the game super strong, but they're letting the Czech work out their nerves. Dutch are still the better team, but on a personal level I'd be ok with them losing :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Interesting they took pride flags off a bunch of people as all I'm seeing is pride themed corporate advertising on the billboards :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2021, 11:23:43 AM

:lol:

I don't think anyone was saying UEFA are good now. In fact I think they've had a number of free hits since that debacle - not least their response to Eriksen's situation - and they've fluffed all of them really badly.

Yeah but behind all the sanctimonious talk that's what was truly at stake - who'd profit from top club level European competition. UEFA, or the clubs.