Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

There is some of that - see controvery around Peter Gulacsi:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56746143
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2021, 03:37:07 AM
I'm very much the anti-mono on these things and love underdogs having a long run.

100%

All the folks who want to keep the Euros limited to "big teams" can go suck an egg as far as I'm concerned. The best thing about it are the wild runs of smaller teams.

The importance and excitement for the people of Ukraine or Wales that they got out of the group stage is massive and adds so much to the Euros. To me, the sport is just as much - if not more - about the potential fairy tale scenarios and the long shots and the hopes and dreams of the underdogs than it is about the "big" teams.

Victory takes skill, pluck, perseverance, and a measure of luck. That's how it should be, IMO.

Of course, I speak as a supporter of a "small" team... :)

Sheilbh

Although it does make me feel even worse for Hungary who have arguably had the best tournament of all the "small" teams in this tournament, who managed to read and successfully counter/nullify France and Germany - but they've not gone through :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2021, 01:00:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2021, 12:57:52 PM
BOOOOOOO

Boo yourself.

See? We are at an impasse in this conversation where neither of us can win. A tie. Seems unsatisfying doesn't it?

Hungary still finished last. They suck. Orban can go fuck himself.

Anyway fortunately in the knock out rounds these crimes against athletic competition can be done away with and we can have PKs like civilized people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Soccer would be much better if they dealt with ties at the end of regulation the same way as the NHL playoffs - just keep playing till someone scores.

I mean keep ties in the group stage if you want, but don't tell me it wouldn't be thrilling to see two teams go at it for 180 minutes plus just waiting for someone to score...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

It just makes both teams hyper-defensive. I hated golden goal :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2021, 01:14:36 PM
Soccer would be much better if they dealt with ties at the end of regulation the same way as the NHL playoffs - just keep playing till someone scores.

I mean keep ties in the group stage if you want, but don't tell me it wouldn't be thrilling to see two teams go at it for 180 minutes plus just waiting for someone to score...

I love how the NHL does overtime now. It used to be such a borefest.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2021, 01:02:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2021, 01:00:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2021, 12:57:52 PM
BOOOOOOO

Boo yourself.

See? We are at an impasse in this conversation where neither of us can win. A tie. Seems unsatisfying doesn't it?

Hungary still finished last. They suck. Orban can go fuck himself.

Anyway fortunately in the knock out rounds these crimes against athletic competition can be done away with and we can have PKs like civilized people.

They were 0-1-2 in games against Portugal, France, and Germany. Don't tell me we wouldn't be happy with that for the US team. "If you're not first you're last" is cool when you are a powerhouse or watching Talladega Nights, but if you take that attitude the non elite teams are doomed to perpetual misery.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2021, 01:14:36 PM

NHL goals are sufficiently large that you average more than 2.61 scores a game (average in Euro 2020 so far).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2021, 01:15:54 PM

Yeah, it was an awful rule. PKs all the way. At least they make for great drama.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2021, 01:27:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2021, 01:15:54 PM

Yeah, it was an awful rule. PKs all the way. At least they make for great drama.

I'm remembering the glory days of old MLS shootouts where the taker starts 30 yards from goal  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2021, 01:22:30 PM
They were 0-1-2 in games against Portugal, France, and Germany. Don't tell me we wouldn't be happy with that for the US team. "If you're not first you're last" is cool when you are a powerhouse or watching Talladega Nights, but if you take that attitude the non elite teams are doomed to perpetual misery.

You don't have to be first. But winless is winless. Last place is last place. I mean it is better than losing three straight in humiliating fashion but it is no great honor either. I would want the US to win at least one. Especially if it was the way Hungary blew it against the Germans, who were not even that good. That would piss me off.

But usually in the World Cup the US manages to win at least one, when they aren't losing to Trinidad and Tobago in qualifiers anyway. Granted they usually don't get the Portugal-France-German group, but even so.

Edit: I think the reason I have a visceral reaction to the Hungary praising is the combination of blowing it against the Germans when they should have won coupled with the non-the-less rejoicing and self congratulations by Orban and company. NO YOU BLEW IT YOU FUCKS YOU SHOULD BE MAD. Ah well.

Sheilbh

Would you rather one win but you don't go through on GD or 3 draws and you do? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!