Aphantasia vs Hyperphantasia - where do you fall?

Started by Syt, May 11, 2021, 10:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Prompted by a reddit thread I saw, I was reminded of how different people think.

On the one hand there's people who have a constant inner monologue/voices, or people who find it easy to visualize or imagine/recall things - images, sounds, music, feelings of touch, smells, or tastes.

On the other side are people who have no such inner monologue and who can't visualize things, or to a certain extent.

Neither side is inherently better or worse, and people generally fall somewhere between the extremes. What's fascinating to me, though, is that many (most?) people just assume the way their mind works is the "normal" one and everyone else experiences it the same, until they meet people who - literally - think differently.

Where do you guys fall?

For me, I have a constant voice (or songs :Embarrass: ) going on my head, though it has the advantage that I can change the tone, so if I want my thoughts to be in the voice of Stephen Fry or Morgan Freeman I can do that for a bit.

I also generally find it easy to imagine or recall things. E.g. reading Star Wars novels I always had vivid images of the action in my head, the movie characters would show up and look like in the movies, have the voice etc. But even with books for which there's no movie. E.g. I read Chuck Wendig's Wanderers last year, and when I think back to it, I remember not the words so much as the "head movie" from when I read it, with the characters, events, their voices etc. I can imagine a leather jacket and what it feels like to touch or wear it, or the characteristic smell. Or I can imagine standing in a winter landscape, e.g. a forest, with a cold wind blowing in my face to the point I start shivering.

When I dabbled in writing I could picture the scenes and characters in my head and "only" needed to write things down or describe what I saw (still too lazy to do it, though :P ).

On the other hand this proves problematic when reading pure factual texts with little or no narration for my mind to latch onto. I can understand concepts and patterns quite well, but purely theoretical things require more effort than remembering a story unless I can attach them to something. I was good at math and physics in school, but I forgot much of what I learned there, but I can recall many texts I read in German, French, or English class.

What about you, where do you fall? :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Constant sounds. Picture requires effort, especially if I'm conjuring it from text.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I have a rather constant inner monologue and I constantly reproduce or make up conversations, with people real or imagined. Sounds too, but mostly voice. No, I'm not schizophrenic  :P

It does help in my job, since for me it's very easy to run a scene over and over in my head. Unlike Syt, I don't picture images or voices when I read books, but I picture them when I write. In general, however, my mind is no good at tackling visual stuff. I have absolutely no aptitude for drawing.

I'm good with patterns, logic and organization. I can keep complex structures in my brain and navigate them. That said, I have never been good with pure memorization - in fact I don't have a great memory, which surprises people. I always got great grades at school by just spotting the internal logic of stuff (i.e. math, history, etc...) rather than putting it to memory. It has its drawbacks, if I can't put something in a box, I feel lost.

I also have this thing where my brain doesn't work well in "real time". I.e. in work meetings I rarely contribute much compared to others (and I have had some employers calling me on it, until they get to know me better). I need to go and sit down with whatever is the issue and solve it. I always say that my brain has a low max speed but plenty of horsepower. This also extends to social interaction, I'm not a great conversionalist since I have a hard time coming up with interesting stuff to say "on the spot".

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2021, 10:21:22 AMI'm good with patterns, logic and organization. I can keep complex structures in my brain and navigate them. That said, I have never been good with pure memorization - in fact I don't have a great memory, which surprises people. I always got great grades at school by just spotting the internal logic of stuff (i.e. math, history, etc...) rather than putting it to memory. It has its drawbacks, if I can't put something in a box, I feel lost.

I could do that in, say physics, or economics. "If this variable goes up, this one goes down, therefore the formula must be ..." Rote memorization worked to some extent, but I find I'm mostly good at remembering weird and useless trivia of all sorts. :D

One weird thing - when I was 5 or 6 we had a one volume encyclopedia in our home which on page 832 "Römisches Recht" (Roman Law) had a list of the Roman emperors. I told a family friend proudly that I would always remember that. She said, "Nah, eventually you'll forget." It's now almost 40 years later, and this useless fact is still lodged deeply in my head. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I'm very good at remembering generalities, less so specifics. I would be awful at mid 20th century history classes that are all about dates whilst actually knowing about history and discussing it is fine.

And I always remember the weirdest things which come back to me and start bothering me years later for no reason. For instant recently I have remembered and become upset that I probably missed out on a threesome at one point in the distant past.

I think I'm pretty good at visualising things but I'm awful at reproducing that, I suck at art.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Take a guess, the answer may not surprise you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2021, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2021, 10:21:22 AMI'm good with patterns, logic and organization. I can keep complex structures in my brain and navigate them. That said, I have never been good with pure memorization - in fact I don't have a great memory, which surprises people. I always got great grades at school by just spotting the internal logic of stuff (i.e. math, history, etc...) rather than putting it to memory. It has its drawbacks, if I can't put something in a box, I feel lost.

I could do that in, say physics, or economics. "If this variable goes up, this one goes down, therefore the formula must be ..." Rote memorization worked to some extent, but I find I'm mostly good at remembering weird and useless trivia of all sorts. :D

One weird thing - when I was 5 or 6 we had a one volume encyclopedia in our home which on page 832 "Römisches Recht" (Roman Law) had a list of the Roman emperors. I told a family friend proudly that I would always remember that. She said, "Nah, eventually you'll forget." It's now almost 40 years later, and this useless fact is still lodged deeply in my head. :lol:

The biggest ever memorization crunch I ever did was for my Audiovisual Technology classes at uni. I had to memorize 250 pgs of 1990s film/TV tech (so, all pre-digital) which is now completely and utterly outdated, but parts of which are indelibly ingrained in my brain. Do you know what an Alternating Optic Copier is? I do, and I might be the sole human that still does.

Syt

:lol:

I cruised through school without having to study much and was an A student, (or B depending on subject and my interest in it :P ). When I got to public admin school with all its law subjects I nearly crashed and burned, and graduated with a D+ equivalent. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Constant autistic screeching. And in my head I can "hear" and "see" things quite vividly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

not constant sounds, but i do have a pretty regular inner monologue. And while i can picture objects and locals quite well, i have trouble with faces.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Crazy_Ivan80

monologue/dialogue and pretty vivid imagery to boot. And the memory of a decent sized elephant.

Maladict

My mind is a silent movie. All images, no sound.

Razgovory

I have a fairly vivid imagination, for instance if an unpleasant intrusive thought comes into my head I will actually flinch.  I have an inner monologue and it causes me to talk to myself.  I kind of wonder what my neighbors thought when they saw a 13 year old paperboy carrying on an animated discussion with himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Tons of inner monologue and dialogue, a leading cause of my difficulty sleeping.  Visual memory very good, came in handy for setting up cardboard war games.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".