Which movie(s) do you remain "loyal" to?

Started by Oexmelin, April 26, 2021, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 27, 2021, 08:36:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2021, 07:49:55 AM
Friends is complicated since the gay characters were all portrayed positively and they had a gay wedding in it which was kind of wild for 1995 or whatever. But the constant joke for the three male leads is LOLZ ur gay. I think it was attempting to be progressive for the time since one of the producers was gay but it did not age well.

I don't know if it is "homophobic" or hateful in anyway it is just like "this is quirky and not normal" heteronormative deal.

La Cage aux Folles (1978), which got the Criterion treatment on blu-ray some years ago, a.k.a Bird Cage, must be quite the shocker as well.  :D

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077288

PS: no idea about the crappy remake
I saw that, really didn't get it. My partner wanted it for her French film club.
The guy she runs it with disagreed as its a bit too dodgy. Instead went with some dark modern film about a gay depressed druggie or something.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2021, 08:39:51 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 27, 2021, 08:36:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2021, 07:49:55 AM
Friends is complicated since the gay characters were all portrayed positively and they had a gay wedding in it which was kind of wild for 1995 or whatever. But the constant joke for the three male leads is LOLZ ur gay. I think it was attempting to be progressive for the time since one of the producers was gay but it did not age well.

I don't know if it is "homophobic" or hateful in anyway it is just like "this is quirky and not normal" heteronormative deal.

La Cage aux Folles (1978), which got the Criterion treatment on blu-ray some years ago, a.k.a Bird Cage, must be quite the shocker as well.  :D

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077288

PS: no idea about the crappy remake
I saw that, really didn't get it. My partner wanted it for her French film club.
The guy she runs it with disagreed as its a bit too dodgy. Instead went with some dark modern film about a gay depressed druggie or something.

Why I am not surprised?

:lol:

Sheilbh

Those are the two French genders.

I think La Cage aux Folles and The Birdcage both hold up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2021, 08:48:35 AM
Those are the two French genders.

I think La Cage aux Folles and The Birdcage both hold up.

Surely you mean genres or sub-genres?  :P

I'd rather rewatch the sequels of la Cage aux Folles than a bloody remake.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

Just watched Alien and Aliens, those are damn good movies. Even my wife, who hates sci-fi, sat quietly and seemed to like them. A shame that no-one ever made any sequels.

Also, the Thin Red Line is excellent.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on April 27, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
Just watched Alien and Aliens, those are damn good movies. Even my wife, who hates sci-fi, sat quietly and seemed to like them. A shame that no-one ever made any sequels.

:lol:

Yeah, a shame.

Berkut

I used to enjoy "Entourage". Even at the time, its misogyny and homophobia was considered a bit over the top, but it was that "HAHA, boys being boys!" kind of over the top humor that was...tolerable??? at the time.

Watching it now, it is just stomach turning. I am not very woke, to say the least, and I actually feel guilty about how funny I thought it was a decade or so ago. Or was that two decades? Fuck I am getting old.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Another in the Entourage mold, but more recent, and not nearly as bad but still pretty terrible is Big Bang Theory.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Threviel

Flemings Bond hasn't really aged well either, the parts about raping lesbianism out of his girls is no exactly pc today. The

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2021, 06:15:24 PM
I loved Wrath of Khan when it came out but it's unwatchable now.

:mad:

I think WoK is still eminently watchable.

I recently watch some of the interviews with the director, Nicholas Meyer, and how he essentially had to "wear down" Shatner with multiple takes in order to wean the hamminess out of his acting.    :D

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
I used to enjoy "Entourage". Even at the time, its misogyny and homophobia was considered a bit over the top, but it was that "HAHA, boys being boys!" kind of over the top humor that was...tolerable??? at the time.

Watching it now, it is just stomach turning. I am not very woke, to say the least, and I actually feel guilty about how funny I thought it was a decade or so ago. Or was that two decades? Fuck I am getting old.
Isn't that the point though?
These guys aren't heroes. They're not perfect. They are the protagonists but they are kind of dicks.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

I recently saw Winchester 73 - the original - a Jimmy Stewart western where Stewart is intent on revenge and plays a bit darker than the usual.  Hollywood in that era (and in others) was not known for its respectful portrayal of Native peoples, but I forgot how over the top offensive that movie was - with scenes that make The Searchers look like Smoke Signals in comparison, topped off by Rock Hudson playing a homicidal Cheyenne (??) chief speaking deliberately wooden dialogue in the "Me heap big chief" vein.

The movie starts with a prologue card: "This is a story of the Winchester Rifle Model 1873 "The gun that won the West" To cowman, outlaw, peace officer or soldier, the Winchester '73 was a treasured possession. An Indian would sell his soul to own one" and goes downhill from there, with the opening scene including a prominent stereotypical "cigar store Indian" as comic relief.  Rock Hudson's authenticity is established by his copious war paint, terrible grammar and vicious scalping of a corrupt trader.

it didn't help that the story was a pretty formulaic revenge fantasy with an odd variant of "boy meets girl engaged to someone else but gets girl at the end when fiance is  is murdered by peripheral character actor" and  not as compelling as it seemed when I recall watching as a kid.

Jimmy was good of course but he's in plenty better elsewhere.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Damn, that's a pity. I distinctly remember liking that movie a lot when I was a kid, and I didn't like westerns *at all* at the time (they are a bit of an acquired taste).