News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Onion sells out...to China!

Started by The Larch, July 21, 2009, 06:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 02:59:02 PMWow I hope none of that applies to the Japanese.

For one, the Chinese would not engage in bowing, for example "after subjecting me to a good 20 minutes of infernal bowing and other assorted chinky-dinkery".  Incessant bowing is a Japanese thing, not Chinese.

That said, I guess it's not so much a matter confusing Japanese and Chinese (though there is that), but rather that the entire thing is making fun of a media created pan-Orientalist pastiche rather than anything real.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2009, 03:17:42 PM
That said, I guess it's not so much a matter confusing Japanese and Chinese (though there is that), but rather that the entire thing is making fun of a media created pan-Orientalist pastiche rather than anything real.

Duh.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

I suspect they might have covered the Chinese getting confused angle.
The Chinese version of the companies' website is un google translatable (maybe it explains wtf is happening?) and just what does the company name mean?
I'm going to try and get a Chinaman on this asap.

edit- nah, it just means fish perfect.
Apparently though the Chinese speakers on videos have crap accents.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 02:59:02 PMWow I hope none of that applies to the Japanese.

For one, the Chinese would not engage in bowing, for example "after subjecting me to a good 20 minutes of infernal bowing and other assorted chinky-dinkery".  Incessant bowing is a Japanese thing, not Chinese.

Yeah, but nobody really cares about the differences between the cultures, and the Chinese were slow on the ball.  Because the Japanese had a good, acquisitive economy before the Chinese did, Oriental stereotypes are bound to be influenced by the older stuff from the eighties and nineties.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2009, 04:46:15 PMYeah, but nobody really cares about the differences between the cultures, and the Chinese were slow on the ball.  Because the Japanese had a good, acquisitive economy before the Chinese did, Oriental stereotypes are bound to be influenced by the older stuff from the eighties and nineties.

Certainly.

That won't stop me from acting smug and superior towards the idiots who can't tell the difference :)

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2009, 05:43:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2009, 04:46:15 PMYeah, but nobody really cares about the differences between the cultures, and the Chinese were slow on the ball.  Because the Japanese had a good, acquisitive economy before the Chinese did, Oriental stereotypes are bound to be influenced by the older stuff from the eighties and nineties.

Certainly.

That won't stop me from acting smug and superior towards the idiots who can't tell the difference :)
And that's certainly alright.  I do the same thing, acting superior to people who think that Chinese are humans.  Actually, I act superior towards just about everyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Infernal bowing is not incessant bowing.  And infernal bowing can also known as "kowtowing", which is from Chinese mandarin.  So yeah, for one, the Chinese would engage in bowing as we know it. 

That said, stop being such an Asianazi.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2009, 06:30:09 PM
He's gone native.  Just like you'd like to do.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2009, 07:07:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2009, 06:30:09 PM
He's gone native.  Just like you'd like to do.

That's goddamned right.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2009, 06:30:09 PMInfernal bowing is not incessant bowing.  And infernal bowing can also known as "kowtowing", which is from Chinese mandarin.  So yeah, for one, the Chinese would engage in bowing as we know it. 

Not in any kind of business deal.  Maybe the girls you've banged did that as part of your roleplaying sessions or whatever, but it isn't part of any sort of business or normal social practice.

QuoteThat said, stop being such an Asianazi.

Why?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2009, 07:42:12 PMMaybe the girls you've banged did that as part of your roleplaying sessions or whatever, but it isn't part of any sort of business or normal social practice.

Roleplaying sessions ARE business practices. :mad:

QuoteThat said, stop being such an Asianazi.
QuoteWhy?

Because it's the fucking Onion, that's why.   
And besides, reminds me of all the humorless historitards getting bent out of shape over 300, and that's just not you.