News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[New] Soccer Thread, You Know You Love It

Started by Norgy, July 18, 2009, 10:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 08:11:35 AM
I was going to pop in and congratulate Canada for not sucking too horribly in the 2009 Gold Cup...but then they lost to Honduras in the first round of the knockout round :nelson

Canada is the worst soccer nation evah.

Anyway tune in June 26th to see the United States win our fifth Gold Cup!  America!  Hell yeah!

That kind of sucked.

I thought Canada has been playing really well of late. In the Honduras game, Honduras scored on the most questionable penalty call in the history of futball. (OK, maybe only slight exaggeration).

Look for yourself. Fast forward to around the 2:30 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMExi2bVxmE

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on July 21, 2009, 08:44:08 AM
Look for yourself. Fast forward to around the 2:30 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMExi2bVxmE

WTF?  Wow that was a horribly call.  I understand things go fast down there on the grass but...geez what a crappy way to decide the game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

By the way I think it is weird that Guadeloupe has its own "national" team.  If each department of France gets its own national team then I want 50 US national teams so we can overwhelm the rest of the field on sheer volume!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Norgy

The Honduran national anthem has to be the longest one ever...

And OK, that is not a penalty. Never was.

I have a feeling Honduras are the Italians of Central America.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 09:03:59 AM
By the way I think it is weird that Guadeloupe has its own "national" team.  If each department of France gets its own national team then I want 50 US national teams so we can overwhelm the rest of the field on sheer volume!

The US has some really good players. Really good.

You still are a decade behind with tactics after Bora coached you, but you have players that combine the essential pace/technique ratio.

I am thinking medals next WC for you guys.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 21, 2009, 09:11:16 AM
I am thinking medals next WC for you guys.

:w00t: Well um...I am not going to get that carried away after 2006's disappointment.

I do think it is just a matter of time before we have a big breakout WC run.  Maybe not 2010, maybe not 2014 but soon...

Norgy

You already own the Women's WC.

A Brazil-USA final in the men's WC is in the coming.

I will naturally root for the poor brown pipple against forces of capitalism.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 21, 2009, 09:23:18 AM
You already own the Women's WC.

Due to the laws governing the highest levels of amateur athletics, specifically university and college athletics, women actually get alot more opportunities to play than men do.

It reverses naturally once you go professional but it is a factor that helps explain why we do so well at women's soccer.

Norgy

Like most soccer leagues, the MSL will go belly-up with Barca and Real Madrid going bankies.

Here, I think Lyn Oslo will be the first to come crawling to gubmint asking for handouts.

Seriously, they pay footballers like 3x my wage, which is good at 400k.

Oh, yeah. And I pay serious taxes.

Dinnae kinda tell you guys, but I said "gubbye" to self-employment and took a job as middle-management.

Now I have minnows.

clandestino

Maybe I'm used to a different football, but that Canadian guy puled the arm of the Honduran one. I'm not going to say it's a clear penalty, but something that we call here the "intensity law", it depends on the strength applied.  ;)

Josephus

Quote from: clandestino on July 21, 2009, 12:50:19 PM
Maybe I'm used to a different football, but that Canadian guy puled the arm of the Honduran one. I'm not going to say it's a clear penalty, but something that we call here the "intensity law", it depends on the strength applied.  ;)

The guy was taking a banana kick backwards. He was going to fall down regardless of foreign intervention. The Canadian did not impede the shot, or the taking of the shot, in any way.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011