News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Property prices thread

Started by Tamas, April 06, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2021, 10:56:45 AM
You know the size of those countries may have something to do with how you can commute from train from just about anywhere...

It's a bit of a cop-out, to be honest. Yes, we're not going to have convenient mass transportation covering every square inch of our low population density areas in Canada (or the US).

But North America is still doing a pretty crap job with mass transit in our high and medium density areas. The reason we don't have good mass transit in our medium sized cities, or linking the suburbs to city cores, or linking fairly close urban centres has little to do with the size of the country.

Josquius

:yes:
The Nirvana Fallacy is creeping in here.
Of course some guy living up in a remote corner of the Yukon isn't going to have local bus service. He is going to need personal transport.
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to provide this in more inhabited areas.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 11:42:53 AM
Of course some guy living up in a remote corner of the Yukon isn't going to have local bus service. He is going to need personal transport.
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to provide this in more inhabited areas.

But that's little like your ideal and doesn't really need to be motivated by appeals to a goal unable to be reached any time soon.

I think is a perfect example of taking something reasonable that we pretty much all agree on (having mass transit that would make it easier to get around in short distances) and then putting in a statement (cars are terrible/need to be done away with) that then drives people apart.  It doesn't help when you then claim people are focusing too much on the ideal when you are positing your ideal scenario.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

In the OTT, Tamas mentioned the slums one must live in in the London area at around £450k.

Saw this in the local area market today...   :P

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/77294611#/

And it appears to have a proper garage. :hmm:

Sheilbh

:ultra: :weep:

Though I am always suspicious of converted churches. I always feel like the proportions end up being a bit weird and you often end up having to split windows in half so you have a floor window - plus they feel far more likely to be haunted.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I wonder what the heating cost look like.

Is Freehold the good tenure set up?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

The other thing I've noticed in high-end upgrades around here in the country, are giant doors (in either the kitchen or living room/lounge area), that open up straight to the outdoors, such as in this place...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/79740390#/

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2021, 05:15:04 PM
Yep.

On the giant doors - you're right that's a big trend here (though just an expansion of French doors? :hmm:) I'm a big fan, if only I could afford a high end flat/house. Especially because from, say May to September you'd probably eat outside and that's where you'd entertain anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2021, 05:19:44 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2021, 05:15:04 PM
Yep.

On the giant doors - you're right that's a big trend here (though just an expansion of French doors? :hmm:) I'm a big fan, if only I could afford a high end flat/house. Especially because from, say May to September you'd probably eat outside and that's where you'd entertain anyway.

But then wouldn't you want an open kitchen?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

:lol: To the outdoors.

And I don't hate open plan - I just think as a trend it's over.

Also I clicked through and I don't like that house <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Man, these esoteric English cultural rules are taxing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Are garage door openers a thing in You Kay?  I'm guessing not.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2021, 09:02:02 PM
Are garage door openers a thing in You Kay?  I'm guessing not.

Those do exist and are advertised, however I can offer no data on the takeup or numbers installed.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2021, 11:52:13 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2021, 11:42:53 AM

But that's little like your ideal and doesn't really need to be motivated by appeals to a goal unable to be reached any time soon.

I think is a perfect example of taking something reasonable that we pretty much all agree on (having mass transit that would make it easier to get around in short distances) and then putting in a statement (cars are terrible/need to be done away with) that then drives people apart.  It doesn't help when you then claim people are focusing too much on the ideal when you are positing your ideal scenario.

Well yeah, if you're a politician you wouldn't say "Death to cars!", but we're just folk who know each other idly chatting here.
Its a bit pointless to argue against something that is obviously an extreme dream-scenario by presenting the extreme reasons why the ideal wouldn't work and ignoring the actual realistic steps before this utopian future.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 29, 2021, 05:44:02 AM
Well yeah, if you're a politician you wouldn't say "Death to cars!", but we're just folk who know each other idly chatting here.
Its a bit pointless to argue against something that is obviously an extreme dream-scenario by presenting the extreme reasons why the ideal wouldn't work and ignoring the actual realistic steps before this utopian future.
Yeah exactly I'm not trying to build support for my end goal incremental policy by incremental policy.

I'm saying what I'd like to see in an ideal, some ideas on how we start to guess there, plus my theory that energy transition is going to be enormous and I think we will end up going in that direction.

Edit: And for all of Toni's links - £450k in my area would get you up to a 3 bedroom flat.
Let's bomb Russia!