News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

MLB 2021

Started by Syt, April 01, 2021, 05:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

He is a big star. How do you normally get your baseball news?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

He's YUGE!
Bigger than Joe Schlabotnik huge
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2021, 06:04:27 PM
He is a big star. How do you normally get your baseball news?

Well I suppose that's it.  It's not like the old days where you get your news from the newspaper, or from watching Sportscentre.  To the extent I'm a baseball fan I'm a Royals fan, so I mostly get my news about them from social media by following the Royals.

But still I would have thought Ohtani would have broken through that before yesterday.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I am subbed to the MLB and Jomboy Media on Youtube, despite the laters horrid Yankees loving. That generally keeps me up to date on what the non-Orioles world is doing...generally better than the Orioles.

Thank Hod for the Diamondbacks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

How to score three runs off a dribble on the foul line that doesn't even make it to third base:

https://www.mlb.com/video/kevin-newman-singles-on-a-sharp-ground-ball-to-pitcher-taijuan-walker-joh

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Cleveland Indians to be known as the Cleveland Guardians after the end of the season. :o

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31868331/cleveland-changing-name-indians-guardians

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2021, 10:07:32 AM
Cleveland Indians to be known as the Cleveland Guardians after the end of the season. :o

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31868331/cleveland-changing-name-indians-guardians

Naps, Blues, Broncos and Spiders are all available names associated with past Cleveland MLB franchises. 

All them as good or better names than "Guardians."  WTF are they playing baseball or joining Space Force?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Probably want to ride the Guardians of the Galaxy wave? :unsure:

(Not sure if anyone would want to try rehabilitate the Spiders name :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2021, 10:20:29 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2021, 10:07:32 AM

Naps, Blues, Broncos and Spiders are all available names associated with past Cleveland MLB franchises. 

All them as good or better names than "Guardians."  WTF are they playing baseball or joining Space Force?

Guardians has the advantage of rhyming with Indians.  Those other names are all over 100 years old, so hardly have any real resonance with fans.  And they've justified it by making a reference to some Guardians of Traffic statue on a bridge near the stadium, which is as good an excuse as anything.

Grey Fox

It's a good name. Rhyming effect is a good reason enough to pick it.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

The Guardians of Traffic.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 23, 2021, 10:44:56 AM
It's a good name. Rhyming effect is a good reason enough to pick it.

It's why I was pushing for the Edmonton CFL team to be rebranded as the Escargot.  :ph34r:

The Minsky Moment

Better names:

River Burners
Foresters
Symphonics
Careys
Fellers

Guardians does not rhyme with Indians. They just both end in "ians".  An who gives a crap what rhymes with Indians anyways?  Why not call them the Cleveland Totalitarians?
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

New mascot revealed:

—Stephen Jay Gould