iYes!
4 (25%)
No?
12 (75%)
"Raz dun smell purdy"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Razgovory

MSNBC (and possibly other news sources) is broadcasting the Derek Chauvin case this week.  I was kinda wondering what some of our Languish Lawyers thought of that.  Personally, I dislike it.  If I was a witnessed on a trial like this I would do everything in my power to avoid testifying.  Testifying in an untelevised trial is okay, but chances of future harassments seem like they would be much higher if everyone could see my face and hear me give testimony.  People who might take out their anger on a witnesses are probably people who wouldn't dig through trail transcripts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

No. But I'm in the UK and quite like the approach here.

So lower courts aren't filmed. They've got witnesses, make findings of fact in specific cases and the general view is there's nothing beyond a news/media value in broadcasting them. Generally the view is that's probably outweighed by the potential harm to a trial and there are already very strict reporting rules in UK court cases that go way past what's normal in the US. The higher courts decide points of law which matter generally, so there's more of a public interest/educational quality in those hearings. The Supreme Court broadcasts live - but is rarely carried on TV - and has an archive of their hearings and there have been experiments in the Court of Appeal. Having said that the Supreme Court justices are relatively anonymous here, they're not associated with any political ideologies and also the Supreme Court interrupts a lot less than in the US so their sessions tend to be quite boring (except for law students) while I think in the US some would be relatively interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Only if all the parties agree. If witness Raz doesn't want to appear on TV then the court should act accordingly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I lean more yes than no.  It would be good for the public to have a better understanding of court procedures.

celedhring

All court proceedings in Spain have to be taped, and these recordings are part of the public record - with the exception of stuff like rape trials, where the intimacy of the victim takes precedence. There's also provisions for protected witnesses, or for witnesses that don't want their face recorded. The trials themselves, though, aren't broadcast, even though you'll get clips of the most prominent ones on the news - and we've had examples of some of the more gruesome/scandalous ones get turned into a bit of a circus. That said, the only trial I can remember to be broadcast live is the 2017 UDI one, which was broadcast in its entirety (and the fucker lasted MONTHS) by the Catalan public TV.

So, to answer the question, they should be taped in order to be available for public scrutiny, but if they were broadcast regularly it could potentially turn into a circus.

DGuller

Not a lawyer, but I'm thinking no.  It seems like for the cases where the public is interested, it transforms a court case into a theater.  I used to think that all those artist sketches from the courtroom that they do in NY were silly and a scheme to give sinecure to sketch artists, but now I think it's not such a bad system.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2021, 10:42:36 AM
Not a lawyer, but I'm thinking no.  It seems like for the cases where the public is interested, it transforms a court case into a theater.  I used to think that all those artist sketches from the courtroom that they do in NY were silly and a scheme to give sinecure to sketch artists, but now I think it's not such a bad system.

I think that's more a function of the jury system than TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2021, 10:39:51 AM
I lean more yes than no.  It would be good for the public to have a better understanding of court procedures.
I agree with Yi.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

No, not even the high profile ones. Privacy is important.

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on March 31, 2021, 06:49:05 AM

I think it would be a bad idea, but not sure because of privacy. Court trials are open to the public. At least in Canada, and I imagine most other places, I can walk into any courtroom and witness it. So to say that they should not be broadcast on TV due to privacy doesn't make sense.

Now of course, in some cases, the judge can order that the trial be closed to spectators, in which case the same would apply to TV. A judge can also rule that some testimony is not for the public as well.

That all said, not sure who'd want to broadcast trials. Most trials are extremely slow and  boring (sorry BB, et. al.). When I was in journalism school in the late 80s, we had to cover a few trials, and none of them had a last minute person running into the courtroom yelling "Your honour we have some last minute evidence!" I remember one that involved a Vietnamese guy testifying through a translator...man, even the judge rested his head in his arms on his bench. Snore fest.

But I think it's a bad idea because it does have the potential of turning trials into circuses. Lawyers pontificating and scoring popularity points. I can imagine at some point the broadcaster saying "Can we cut out all the boring stuff? Also, what's with all the lawyers being male. Can we get a young blonde lawyer?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I've watched some clips of the Gauvin trial and it's duller than dust.

crazy canuck

I think they should.  Open courts are of foundational importance.  And sufficient safeguards can be put in place for witnesses who do not wish to be, or should not be, on camera.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2021, 09:08:42 AM
Most trials are extremely slow and  boring (sorry BB, et. al.). When I was in journalism school in the late 80s, we had to cover a few trials, and none of them had a last minute person running into the courtroom yelling "Your honour we have some last minute evidence!" I remember one that involved a Vietnamese guy testifying through a translator...man, even the judge rested his head in his arms on his bench. Snore fest.

The problem with media covering trials is exactly what you are describing.  They are looking for the dramatic moment, but that almost never occurs.  Instead trials are detailed fact finding processes where the significance of some evidence will likely not be known until all the evidence is in and final arguments are made.  That is actually why open courts are necessary - if we had to rely on media reports the public would get a very distorted view of what occurs.  Really the reporting should occur at the end, when the reasons for decision are released.  But even then the media are looking for comments right after lengthy decisions are handed down when no one has hada reasonable opportunity to read and reflect on what the court wrote.

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2021, 09:08:42 AM
Quote from: Maladict on March 31, 2021, 06:49:05 AM

I think it would be a bad idea, but not sure because of privacy. Court trials are open to the public. At least in Canada, and I imagine most other places, I can walk into any courtroom and witness it. So to say that they should not be broadcast on TV due to privacy doesn't make sense.

You can witness court proceedings here, but you're not allowed to bring a phone or other recording equipment for privacy reasons. There is a difference.