News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

After my awesome trip through the Carribean I have the urge to see the world and I've started to wonder about teaching English abroad. I think a couple of people here have done that. What did you think of the experience?

All others are welcome to lay down bets on all the horrible things that could happen to me in the unlikely event I follow through with this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Isn't that usually done by folks who don't have education degrees?

I can understand the appeal, but I would suggest getting into the public school system ASAP so you can milk the gubmint, never get fired no matter what you do (short of raping someone), and then retire at 55. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2009, 10:37:32 AM

Yeah, but if you have one I hear it's very easy to get a decent job in a 1st world country.

I'd like to do something interesting before I get to old.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lucidor

Wasn't Disturbed Prevert doing something along those lines?

Ed Anger

QuoteAll others are welcome to lay down bets on all the horrible things that could happen to me

5 quatloos on being lynched after showing an alt-history map to a class.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Are there any American government schools abroad? We have those in the major cities of the world and state-employed teachers can teach there for a couple of years getting their usual salary and benefits etc. and afterwards returning into a safe job at home.

Caliga

Quote from: Lucidor on July 21, 2009, 10:44:26 AM
Wasn't Disturbed Prevert doing something along those lines?
Not sure about him, but Buddha definitely did teach abroad in Japan, as is Pitiful Pathos right now (in Korea?) IIRC.

I also have an  ex-girlfriend who has taught English abroad in Japan and Turkey, and was teaching ESL at University of Maryland until she got laid off last month.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on July 21, 2009, 10:45:53 AM
Are there any American government schools abroad? We have those in the major cities of the world and you can teach there for a couple of years getting your usual salary and benefits etc. and afterwards returning into a safe job at home.
Hey, that's a great idea.  :cool:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2009, 10:37:32 AM

With an education degree he could teach at an international/American school and make quite a lot of money, not just do esl.

Tamas

Come to Hungary. :)

Hang your US passport on your neck, and enjoy the girls flocking in.

Grey Fox

How unamerican of you.

You do know that all those countries are foreign?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2009, 11:02:18 AM
Come to Hungary. :)

We need to get you a US passport.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2009, 11:02:18 AM

Them, or the gypsies.

BuddhaRhubarb

I lived and worked in Tokyo for 3 years. DP does some kinda work in Thailand, but I'm not sure it's ESL. St Jaba is in Korea... Isn't someone in China now to?

It's a great experience that I reccomend to anyone. It is however not easy. I did not have an education degree either. Having one likely will get you a cushier gig. heck a HS Home Ec teacher I know just got hired in England because they need to import people to teach cooking.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 21, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
heck a HS Home Ec teacher I know just got hired in England because they need to import people to teach cooking.
FINALLY.  Why couldn't they have learned to cook prior to 2002 when I visited London?  :(