News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2009, 09:04:17 PM
Have they taught you the Korean booze pouring rules yet?  How about the offer 3 times/refuse twice rule?

I know the pouring etiqute, not the offer/refuse thing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

I don't know the offer-refuse thing either. Apparently you're supposed to refuse something first if someone offers, I know that much, but in practice I never do it. And the Koreans I offer things to rarely refuse (and if they do, they continue refusing, so they must mean it).

Possibly I get away with not knowing because I'm a weird 외국인. :lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

This reminds me.  I'm going to Beijing next month on a business trip.  Mainland officials are notorious for taking offence at people who do not drink with them.  The last time I went to China on official business, I had a buddy who likewise refused to drink one drop.  This time, I am going with my boss, who loves red wine.  He has yet to find out that I don't drink. 

Imagine the official dinner where everybody is supposed to drink till they drop.  I'm going to be so alone fighting for my wine virginity

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on November 06, 2009, 03:21:42 AM
Imagine the official dinner where everybody is supposed to drink till they drop.

That's when you raid their wallets and steal cash and incriminating photos you can blackmail them with.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

If ever you feel your courage faltering, just picture the money you save as a teetotaler.

Admiral Yi

The offer/refuse rule is that a polite person declines an offer at least twice.  You can accept on the third offer.  If you're offering only to be polite, you offer twice.  If you really mean it, you offer three times.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on November 06, 2009, 03:21:42 AM
This reminds me.  I'm going to Beijing next month on a business trip.  Mainland officials are notorious for taking offence at people who do not drink with them.  The last time I went to China on official business, I had a buddy who likewise refused to drink one drop.  This time, I am going with my boss, who loves red wine.  He has yet to find out that I don't drink. 

Imagine the official dinner where everybody is supposed to drink till they drop.  I'm going to be so alone fighting for my wine virginity

They way I get around having to drink at company functions is to take a sip or two in their view, and dump the shit in a plant when they aren't looking.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2009, 10:29:53 AM

They way I get around having to drink at company functions is to take a sip or two in their view, and dump the shit in a plant when they aren't looking.

That won't work against Chinese officials.  They all drink, and when they see that you don't drink, they'll ask you to take a tiny sip.  Once you do that, they'll be sure that you do drink, and there is no end to it.  The trick is not let anything through at all.  No sip, no beer, no wine, no spirits, nothing.  If you do that, they'll either back down and declare you a pussy, or the entire table will say you don't give them face and you risk all out war with them.  Since I'm from Hong Kong and is considered a guest in Beijing, they'll likely back down.  That's what happened last time. 

Also, Chinese tend to sit down around a table, not walk around like in a cocktail reception setting.

jimmy olsen

Yikes, almost got myself in trouble there.

I downloaded season 8 of the Simpsons and we've been watching it.

I've shown "You Only Move Twice" and "Homer's Enemy" already.

Today I put on "Bart After Dark", I'd forgot what that one was about, I thought it was the one where he broke his leg. Thankfully I realized it was the one where he works at a whorehouse before it got to any of the racy scenes.

So, I switched it to "Homer vs the 18th Amendment". I told my co-teacher I'd explain to her why I changed it at the end of class. That was an awkward conversation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

How old are the students that you couldn't show them a Simpsons episode?
and a pretty cool class that you'd be watching simpsons...but why do they need you there for that?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2009, 08:20:56 PM
How old are the students that you couldn't show them a Simpsons episode?
and a pretty cool class that you'd be watching simpsons...but why do they need you there for that?
They're middle school studets. However, they're pretty conservative here in Korea, at least in public, (in actuality there are hookers all over the place in the city) given what I remember of the episode it would not have gone over well.

To help translate stuff.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Season 8 :thumbsdown:

I use Season 4 & 5. Last Friday the school got the DVDs the teachers ordered, so now we have a Season 3 DVD. They understand so much more when I show it with Korean subtitles.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 22, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
Season 8 :thumbsdown:

I use Season 4 & 5. Last Friday the school got the DVDs the teachers ordered, so now we have a Season 3 DVD. They understand so much more when I show it with Korean subtitles.

:huh: What blasphemy is this?

Season 8 is the best season hands down.

I offered to show it with subtitles, but they said not to. I guess they think that the kids will just read the subtitles and not listen to the actual English.

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

No, 4&5 are the best - The Shinning Treehouse of Horror, Cape Feare, Monorail, Last Exit to Springfield (homer as union boss), etc.

PDH

It is nice the Korean sweatshop animation is popular there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM