News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It won't convert but something like  99% of stuff out there works in both 220 & 110 now.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2009, 06:14:25 AM
It won't convert but something like  99% of stuff out there works in both 220 & 110 now.

I once believed this.  I received a rude wake up call when I plugged the 110v appliances that I bought in Canada into the sockets in Hong Kong (220v). 

DisturbedPervert

What do you need converters for?  Buy everything when you get there.  It's not like you're going to the Congo.

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 10, 2009, 07:16:26 AM
What do you need converters for?  Buy everything when you get there.  It's not like you're going to the Congo.

That's what most people I knew who had lived in both Canada and HK did.  It is possible to buy a slew of plug adaptors and voltage transformers, but it is too much hassle for most. 

Caliga

When I've been in the UK and Europe I've taken along some cheapo power converter I got at Radio Shack and everything I have plugged in worked just fine.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 10, 2009, 07:26:37 AM
When I've been in the UK and Europe I've taken along some cheapo power converter I got at Radio Shack and everything I have plugged in worked just fine.  :huh:

Same
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on August 10, 2009, 07:26:37 AM

It depends on the appliance.  In my experience, laptops, battery chargers and electronic shavers almost always work.  Desktop computers, printers, TVs, DVD players, desktop lamps and kitchen appliances don't.  The general rule of thumb is the bigger the appliance, the less likely it will work in different voltages.  Manufacturers don't expect people to carry large appliances around.

Tamas

OMG is Tim going to South Korea a mere 6 months before the war starts?  :o

Congrats, Tim, this should be a great adventure!

Make sure to nail me a Windows server admin job while you are there.

PDH

Well, the good news is that Tim will only flood the board on a weird time now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 10, 2009, 08:53:03 AM

I'm going to start calling Tim 'Radar'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I will still call him Goddamn Fucktard Idiot.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: PDH on August 10, 2009, 08:53:03 AM

That is good news, for me at least, this board is very boring during Asian daylight hours.  Me, Monoriu, some WoWtards, and a handful of Asia expats.  Timmy can take bmo's place at posting weird stories during those times.