News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2009, 09:20:49 PM
Another thing to keep in mind Timotino is that Koreans (like all Asians) are pretty racist; you might not score as much cooter as random haole dude.

Crap!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2009, 09:13:40 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 21, 2009, 08:31:35 PM

If you have any more questions, just ask. I skipped the last 5 pages of this thread, so I might have missed something.

My Mom's afraid I'll get killed by Kim Jong Il  :D

He's an old man with cancer. I'm sure you can kick his ass.

QuoteHow's the social scene?

Pretty good, at least in the cities. Bars and noraebangs (aka Korean karaoke) are everywhere. I don't really bother with dance clubs, so I don't know about them. Seoul especially has great nightlife.

Koreans love to drink, so anytime you go out with your fellow teachers, you'll usually have some soju or beer at a restaurant, followed by time at a bar, then singing at a noraebang. It's great fun.

QuoteCan you give a short description of an average lesson?

You can expect about 40 students per class in elementary through high school. For my class, I start off with a greeting, plus a "how did you do on your midterm" chitchat. Then its usually a powerpoint introduction to the topic. Next is an activity or, if I'm uncreative, a worksheet. Last comes presentations, where each group, or one student from each group, comes up and speaks in front of the class. They just love that last part.  :menace:

I also try to throw a short, relevant video clip in during the introduction.

I have 14 regular classes a week (all freshmen), plus 3 teacher's discussion classes (real easy, lots of fun), 1 after school class, and 3 or 4 classes of juniors. Total of 21-22 classroom hours a week. School starts at 8:20 (first period at 8:40), and ends at 4:20.

When's the school year begin?

Begins in March, ends in February. Summer vacation starts end of July, runs through August, and winter starts late December, runs through early Feb. I believe they go to school for like a week or two in Feb. One drawback to teaching non-university here is that you'll have to do a week or two of vacation camp classes. Mine starts next week, and will be with 14 students, all with high levels of English ability.

Also, depending on the school, you might have to teach a class every other Saturday - I don't, some teachers do.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

katmai

Hmbob! You shifty sob, missed it when you said you were going over there
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Guys with a history degree could even have a shot (altough not sure with what chances) at getting some opportunities at Hungarian universities/colleges.
Edit: or not because those are doctors

Sadly, I could not gather up any info on where to start looking, but if there is info on google, it has to be in English as well, so start searching if you are interested.

Richard Hakluyt

Teaching English as a foreign language is big business in the UK btw. Though, if you wanted to work here, the pay is probably higher if you enter a mainstream school.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: katmai on July 22, 2009, 12:57:14 AM
Hmbob! You shifty sob, missed it when you said you were going over there

I'm a ninja poster. Blink and you'll miss them. :ph34r:

The Brain

Do any Asian countries still use the cane?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Lots of Hong Kong schools employ native English speakers.  I met a couple when I was a kid. 

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2009, 04:31:47 AM

Korea still does, though not as often as it used to, and I think it's officially not allowed.

The Brain

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 22, 2009, 05:27:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 22, 2009, 04:31:47 AM

Korea still does, though not as often as it used to, and I think it's officially not allowed.

Tim, you have to go to Korea. For all of us.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 21, 2009, 05:43:12 PM
I wouldn't mind going to South Korea or Taiwan.

:lol: My Mom: South Korea! That's too close to North Korea. That guy's crazy, all he has to do is invade South Korea!!!11
I must admit that would be my concern with S.Korea too. It is quite a real threat, N.Korea is just that crazy and with old Kimmy on his way out...
At the least I wouldn't live in Seoul- the fact about the N.Korean artilery being in range of it is scary.
But myeh, the bigger concern is its so far away, so expensive to get there and so near yet so far from Japan.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Another thing to keep in mind Timotino is that Koreans (like all Asians) are pretty racist;
I know, just look at that Admiral Yi guy.

What do you say about that Bob, as bad as some people say?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 22, 2009, 10:45:50 AM
Another thing to keep in mind Timotino is that Koreans (like all Asians) are pretty racist;
I know, just look at that Admiral Yi guy.

What do you say about that Bob, as bad as some people say?

I've never experienced anything, but then I'm an ordinary white boy. If you're blonde, especially with blue eyes, you'll be a huge celebrity and people will openly stare at you (but in a curious way).

I know two black girls teaching here. One's complained that Koreans will sometimes stare at her and whisper behind her back (mostly young/teen girls, apparently) and has complained generally about discrimination, but I haven't heard of any real discrimination from the other. The former also has a Korean boyfriend. Also, while Korean girls generally don't have much problems dating foreigners, their parents and old people might.

In any event, you'll experience far less in Seoul, Incheon, and maybe Busan than in smaller cities and the countryside.

Jaron

FYI, Tim looks pretty white, except to Neil.

I would probably pass as white in most Asian countries as well.
Winner of THE grumbler point.