And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maximus on August 04, 2009, 10:00:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 09:40:07 AM
I should note that I have sent out applications to multiple educational institutes in South Korea and Japan and others have responded favorably. I'm sure you understand that I wish to carefully way the options before me. The other institutions I've contacted have start dates similar to yours or even earlier and as such I expect it won't be too long before I can make a firm decision on which company to choose. If you have a deadline by which time I must make a decision, please contact me ASAP and I will take that into consideration.
Meigh want to fix that.
Yikes, thanks.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2009, 09:57:50 AM
Do you need to pay Korean AND US taxes?

Read section 3.1

I did.  And it did not answer my question. At least not clearly enough for me.

Grey Fox

Good gawd the ECC policies are restrictived.

Also, only 1700$ a month?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 09:52:08 AM
I've never signed a contract before. Seem standard?

http://www.ybmecc.co.kr/index.asp?sub1=sample
You may want to talk to a lawyer about things, get some feedback on this. Not that it looks tricky, just that it's so new to you and you're asking us about it. Wouldn't want to see you get stuck with some problem. Taxes and such, or what ever else could be issues.

In any event, good luck with this if you take a job! A guy I work with did this in Japan, taught English, and he enjoyed it.

Though you'll have to keep in touch on the forums of course!    :)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2009, 10:07:20 AM

They pay for Housing and 1/2 of health care. I wouldn't be making more in Japan unless a university hired me because I'd have to pay for housing.

Also, where on that site does it list policy other than in the contract?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Alright.

Anyway, this is more about travelling then money, right?

http://ybmecc.co.kr/index.asp?sub1=employee

I didn't like this Part :

QuoteOne's personal attire, grooming and personal hygiene are extremely important in Korea. It is viewed as a reflection of self-respect and more importantly, respect to others. Teachers at all academies are expected to dress semi-formally while teaching. Men are required to wear ties, dress shirts and dress pants (Neatly pressed cotton or corduroy trousers are acceptable). Women are encouraged to wear dresses, skirts or dress pants. Skirts must touch the knees when standing. Clothing should not be too revealing. Low necklines and short skirts are not acceptable. Clothing that is sheer is also not acceptable. Jeans of any color, shorts, sleeveless shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants are not allowed for both men and women. Teachers should wear appropriate shoes as sneakers/tennis shoes, hiking boots/shoes, slippers or sandals are not allowed. Women are allowed to wear appropriate dress sandals. During the months of July and August, polo style shirts (collared short-sleeved shirts) are acceptable for men and women. Exceptions will be made for field trips. Personal attire is considered part of professional conduct. If you are unsure of what is acceptable, ask your academic supervisor.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2009, 10:12:05 AM
Alright.

Anyway, this is more about travelling then money, right?

http://ybmecc.co.kr/index.asp?sub1=employee

I didn't like this Part :

QuoteOne's personal attire, grooming and personal hygiene are extremely important in Korea. It is viewed as a reflection of self-respect and more importantly, respect to others. Teachers at all academies are expected to dress semi-formally while teaching. Men are required to wear ties, dress shirts and dress pants (Neatly pressed cotton or corduroy trousers are acceptable). Women are encouraged to wear dresses, skirts or dress pants. Skirts must touch the knees when standing. Clothing should not be too revealing. Low necklines and short skirts are not acceptable. Clothing that is sheer is also not acceptable. Jeans of any color, shorts, sleeveless shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants are not allowed for both men and women. Teachers should wear appropriate shoes as sneakers/tennis shoes, hiking boots/shoes, slippers or sandals are not allowed. Women are allowed to wear appropriate dress sandals. During the months of July and August, polo style shirts (collared short-sleeved shirts) are acceptable for men and women. Exceptions will be made for field trips. Personal attire is considered part of professional conduct. If you are unsure of what is acceptable, ask your academic supervisor.

Same thing I wear when I teach here.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2009, 10:07:20 AM

I have a feeling he may make more if he works in HK.  But then HK is also more expensive. 

Monoriu

http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeid=1301&langno=1

Check this out. This site is from the official HK government.

QuoteThe salary scale of GM is from around HK$22,985 to HK$48,400 (*approx. US$2,946 to 6,205) per month (12 months a year).  Candidates with a PGDE or equivalent (not TEFL/TESL) qualifications will enter at HK$25,320 (approx. *US$3,246) per month. Those without a local PGDE or equivalent will not be permitted to proceed beyond a salary bar which is at present set at HK$29,235 (approx. *US$3,748) per month.  The pay point of the salary bar is under review and any revision will be announced by the Education Bureau in due course.

Plus, we have low taxes :contract:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2009, 10:39:11 AM
http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeid=1301&langno=1

Check this out. This site is from the official HK government.

QuoteThe salary scale of GM is from around HK$22,985 to HK$48,400 (*approx. US$2,946 to 6,205) per month (12 months a year).  Candidates with a PGDE or equivalent (not TEFL/TESL) qualifications will enter at HK$25,320 (approx. *US$3,246) per month. Those without a local PGDE or equivalent will not be permitted to proceed beyond a salary bar which is at present set at HK$29,235 (approx. *US$3,748) per month.  The pay point of the salary bar is under review and any revision will be announced by the Education Bureau in due course.

Plus, we have low taxes :contract:
I don't care about the money Mono, I won't have any major expenses so the money offered by YBM is sufficient.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2009, 10:50:39 AM

I don't care about the money Mono, I won't have any major expenses so the money offered by YBM is sufficient.

If you want to own your place at some point in the future, now is the time to start saving for the downpayment. 

These teaching posts are on the same pay scale as civil servants.  MPS = master pay scale.  There are 49 points on it.  17-33 means you are paid at point 17 in your first year, 18 in your second, and so on.  There will no longer be increments granted when you reach point 33 (HK48,400).  Unless you secure a promotion. 

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 31, 2009, 07:55:05 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 31, 2009, 01:30:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2009, 09:57:22 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2009, 11:38:03 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 21, 2009, 11:37:20 AM
Be careful with recruiters. sometimes very shady
"sometimes"?  :lol:

I was looking at a corporation that hooks you up with Japanese Universities. Looked good, paid for the flight, paid for housing, etc. Read a little further on and they want you to teach 7 classes a day. <_<

That happens a lot the big reputable "language mills" the most you would do might be 7 (1/2 hr-1hr at most for any class more than like 50 minutes is rare.)
... I often did that. there be 4 that were the same one, likely only 2 or 3 lesson plans a day.

not that hard.
Oh, the most you'd teach hear is 4 or 5 lessons a day tops. How detailed were these lesson plans and how long did it take to put them together?

at a big company it's all laid out for you... you only need to go over the lesson, tweak it a bit with props etc.  not more than a few minutes a week per lesson.
:p

Caliga

Did you ever teach your Jap students incorrect phrases just to amuse yourself?

"In America, we call hanbagu 'Cleveland Steamers'.  So make sure you ask the waiter for a Cleveland Steamer whenever you order one!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2009, 02:45:27 PM
His biography of Khosrau I is sticky with the pages stuck together.

Spellus: FUCK ME HARDER MY KING OF KINGS!
:lmfao:
I got nose diet coke all over my super-cheap pizza thanks to that. 
QuoteGiven that it's Spellus, it's hard to tell.
Mixing history and.....various other interests comes pretty naturally, but I don't think that is that uncommon.  It is a history geek's slash fiction.  Replace Starship Voyager with Circassian slavegirls in Kanuni Sultan Süleyman'ın haremi and you get the same basic idea.  Even though I especially like girls from my areas of interest, that's to be expected as the first few girls I ever had crushes on were all Ashkenazim or mixed Ashkenazim, and Armenians, Persians, Turks, Greeks and Italians can all look Jewish (especially Armenians, Turks and Italians, who are supposedly very closely related to Ashkenazim genetically).

That said, the idea of snorting a Faravahar off a Persian girl's ass is magnificent, if a little impractical.  It is a really hard symbol to draw at the best of times, I don't know how you'd get it with any degree of accuracy on a woman's ass with cocaine. 

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Yet another school shows interest in me. :ph34r:

EDIT: Also, answer my messages Bob.

1 Karma Chameleon point