And we're back!

Main Menu

Suez Canal blocked by grounded megaship

Started by The Larch, March 24, 2021, 07:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2021, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 24, 2021, 09:09:55 AM
I don't know much about sailoring, but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody fucked up badly...
Going to speak to my dad about this. He was a captain in the merchant navy who's skippered through Suez plenty (back in the 70s and 80s) and I am looking forward to his expletive laden take on this :lol:

Record it!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2021, 10:13:21 AM
Raised in a castle, dad was a captain in the merchant marine.  Is Shelf a real person or a character from a boy's adventure novel?
:P

My dad might have been - started as a deck boy in 1956 (Suez :hmm:), almost got married to a Japanese woman in the 70s, worked as a bouncer whenever he decided to stay ashore for a couple of months, kicked out of Chile for communist activism, plus a general sailor's life round the world (except South Africa) from the 50s to the 80s. Both of his brothers joined the merchant navy too, it was the standard way out of Liverpool back then.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2021, 10:19:37 AM
a general sailor's life round the world

nudge nudge wink wink.  No need to say more.  wink wink nudge nudge.

HVC

I too may have some half siblings across the world
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2021, 10:40:50 AM
I too may have some half siblings across the world
:lol: Exactly :ph34r:

Slightly terrified to do one of those DNA testing kits from Ancestry or 123 and Me :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

My dad painted houses.

And no, not in The Irishman sense of it.

The Larch

It seems there's quite a traffic jam of ships building up at the entrance of the Canal.

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on March 24, 2021, 11:23:43 AM
It seems there's quite a traffic jam of ships building up at the entrance of the Canal.

Yikes. Given the per day operating cost of those ships, having them sit there is going rack up some crazy bills.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on March 24, 2021, 11:38:35 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 24, 2021, 11:23:43 AM

Yikes. Given the per day operating cost of those ships, having them sit there is going rack up some crazy bills.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be the grounded ship's insurance company.

Apparently the traffic of oil tankers is so heavy in the Canal that if this causes significant delays then oil prices in the west will suffer.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I feel like they might need a few more diggers and lads on site.

Plus I fully expect that to become a meme: "me doing yoga"/"my lockdown stress levels" format.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

You don't need 300 lads to repair a levee that's been nudged.  Damn union organizer feather bedder.

Zanza

I think the idea is to dig a bigger hole, not fix the levee.

The Larch

Yeah, just trying to open up some space so the ship can get some wiggle room and try to dislodge itself.

Edit: Just to get some idea of the scale, in the first pic in the thread you can see machinery doing the same in the ship's bottom right corner: