Suez Canal blocked by grounded megaship

Started by The Larch, March 24, 2021, 07:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: KRonn on March 28, 2021, 08:54:31 AM
I'm seeing more reports that costs of goods and shortages are likely to occur due to the backup of hundreds of ships delayed going through the Canal or being diverted around the Cape of Good Hope.

I'm seeing toilet paper mentioned a lot. Not this shit again. :rolleyes:

KRonn

Quote from: Maladict on March 28, 2021, 10:48:33 AM
Quote from: KRonn on March 28, 2021, 08:54:31 AM
I'm seeing more reports that costs of goods and shortages are likely to occur due to the backup of hundreds of ships delayed going through the Canal or being diverted around the Cape of Good Hope.

I'm seeing toilet paper mentioned a lot. Not this shit again. :rolleyes:

Me too...that'll be a crappy experience to go through again!!  ;)

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on March 26, 2021, 06:00:41 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 26, 2021, 05:26:05 PM
Never ceases to amaze how costs will be cut so tight in stuff like number of crew and wages to save a few thousand on multi million balance sheets.

There could have been 100 crewmen on board and the result would have been the same.

The pilot fucked up.  He was going too fast if the ship couldn't recover from a gust of wind before going heavily aground.  If there was a sandstorm, as reported, then he fucked up even worse, because every mariner knows that you cannot go faster in limited visibility than a speed that will allow you to stop before hitting something that has just come within the range of your visibility. 

It is especially critical to be forehanded when you have a ship with that kind of momentum.

I am emphatically not a seaman but I do wonder if there's physically enough space in the canal to do anything at any speed for a ship the size of the Ever Given if something goes wrong.

The SCA quotes the canal as taking a maximum draught of just over 20m, a max depth of 24m and a width at 11m depth of either 205m or 225m (depending on the section of the canal.)

The Ever Given's draught at max load is 14.5m and her width 59m. Just how much of the canal is actually wide enough to take her? Assuming from the given data for the canal that a ship should have about 3.5m space between the bottom of the canal and the keel, that means the Ever Green needs the channel to be at least 18m deep.

Just how wide is the 18m channel of the Canal? Or assuming I am overestimating but that you still need at least 1-1.5m - how wide is the 16m depth channel of the Canal?

The Ever Given is already nearly 30% of the width of the 11m channel even before she starts swinging.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Maladict

Oh good. They gave it a 50/50 chance of succeeding.
No need to go hoard toilet paper today then.

The Larch

Current approximate situation of the ship. Check the amount of tugboats and support ships surrounding it, and there are even more in the area not shown in the picture.

Maladict

The bow is still completely stuck, they're going to try to pull it off the clay deposit today.
Plan B is to try and blast the clay away from underneath the ship. If that fails, offloading is the only remaining solution, that could take weeks.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on March 29, 2021, 05:17:40 AM
Plan B is to try and blast the clay away from underneath the ship. If that fails, offloading is the only remaining solution, that could take weeks.
This sounds like that news clip from when they decided the best way to get rid of a rotting beached whale in Oregon was to explode it :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'm pretty sure the Russians would have found a way to work nuclear explosions into this.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2021, 05:24:01 AM
This sounds like that news clip from when they decided the best way to get rid of a rotting beached whale in Oregon was to explode it :lol: :ph34r:

Blast by way of water pressure, not explosives  :D

Maladict

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2021, 05:24:01 AM

That was the first thing I ever saw on the Internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

As Stephen Fry put it this ship came, gave everyone a few days amusement and then didn't outstay it's welcome - amazing work as she's now off :lol:

Apparently the dock cafe in Felixstowe is expecting a lot of sightseers to go down for the day when it docks like a little shipping celebrity :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!