COVID vaccinations! Have you gotten yours?

Started by merithyn, March 08, 2021, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you gotten a COVID vaccine?

ROTW: Yes!
17 (39.5%)
ROTW: Not yet
1 (2.3%)
ROTW: Not destroying my godlike temple of a body with that bullshit
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Yes!
24 (55.8%)
US/Canada: Not yet
0 (0%)
US/Canada: Get that poison out of here, you commie bastard
0 (0%)
I am Jaron, and I am immune to your puny pandemics
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 11:31:38 AMOver here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

It's funny how in some countries testing is almost everywhere and easily available and in others it's still a much more regimented affair.
Yeah - my impression is that the rapid tests here are probably the most important part of our covid response outside of vaccines. Basically based on the reporting, every day somewhere like 1% of the population are doing lateral flow tests (and I'm quite bad at forgetting to report so there's probably more).

It's not a definitive result but it let's people get a PCR, they can watch for symptoms, they can mention it to the doctor if they have any other health problems and they can adjust their behaviour. Plus I think they allow for, probably, a more accurate picture of how many cases (though there are many that will still not be detected). It is crazy because they were almost scrapped because they are less accurate than PCR - my understanding is that they basically don't give false negatives, but there is a small percentage of false positives.

I also think just with myself, friends, colleagues - most people I know do LFTs pretty regularly (especially if they have kids) and that makes us more comfortable to do things - especially because you can do them on the day in 15-30 minutes at home and you have a result. I've gone through loads since re-opening but especially once the offices re-opened, as much as anything for my own safety of mind that I'm not going across London on a commuter train with covid.

But it is really weird watching the US talk about this beause there was a clip that went viral of Biden's press secretary being a bit dismissive and incredulous at the idea of just sending Americans tests for free. Because we have that here, but both sides feel slightly disconnected from reality. It doesn't solve the pandemic as I think a lot of test-boosters in the US seem to think it will, but it also isn't impossible to provide for free on a mass scale (and my understanding is the cost of these tests in the UK is a fraction of what it is in the US because we go through so many).
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 11:31:38 AM
Over here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

It's funny how in some countries testing is almost everywhere and easily available and in others it's still a much more regimented affair.

PCR is pretty standard in Vienna, the regions outside are having issues setting up the proper infrastructure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2021, 03:55:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 11:31:38 AM
Over here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

PCR is pretty standard in Vienna, the regions outside are having issues setting up the proper infrastructure.

I will soon try the viennese system, I'll let you know what's my experience with it.  ;)

Syt

The Austrian statistics office has conducted a study to examine how socio-economic factors contribute to whether or not a person gets vaccinated. About 70% of the population have received two shots so far.

Vaccination rate is at 84% for academics aged 25-64 while the rate is at 68% for persons who finished school after minimum required attendance. Enployed vs unemployed is 76% vs 69%. Lowest rates are found in agriculture (60.5%) and construction (56.1%). Health and social professions are at 78.6%.

Persons born in Austria show a 70% vaccination rate whereas people without Austrian passport stand at 51.5%. The highest rates among foreigners are Turks (73%), Afghans and Germans (72% each). The lowest vaccination rates are among Russians (42.6%) and Romanians (44.5%).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2021, 07:56:42 AM
The Austrian statistics office has conducted a study to examine how socio-economic factors contribute to whether or not a person gets vaccinated. About 70% of the population have received two shots so far.

Vaccination rate is at 84% for academics aged 25-64 while the rate is at 68% for persons who finished school after minimum required attendance. Enployed vs unemployed is 76% vs 69%. Lowest rates are found in agriculture (60.5%) and construction (56.1%). Health and social professions are at 78.6%.

Persons born in Austria show a 70% vaccination rate whereas people without Austrian passport stand at 51.5%. The highest rates among foreigners are Turks (73%), Afghans and Germans (72% each). The lowest vaccination rates are among Russians (42.6%) and Romanians (44.5%).

Interesting statistics. It appears that in Europe, most Orthodox Christian countries are low on vaccination rates. It appears that even as a segment of population, people of "Orthodox origin" (not sure if we can define the Russians and Romanians this way) are at the low end.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence, or if there are deeper factors behind this.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2021, 03:46:43 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2021, 11:31:38 AMOver here PCR test are the standard, antigen tests have only recently been made available, and I don't think you can do any of them at home, you have to go either to a clinic or a pharmacy to get one done.

Yeah - my impression is that the rapid tests here are probably the most important part of our covid response outside of vaccines. Basically based on the reporting, every day somewhere like 1% of the population are doing lateral flow tests (and I'm quite bad at forgetting to report so there's probably more).

It's not a definitive result but it let's people get a PCR, they can watch for symptoms, they can mention it to the doctor if they have any other health problems and they can adjust their behaviour. Plus I think they allow for, probably, a more accurate picture of how many cases (though there are many that will still not be detected). It is crazy because they were almost scrapped because they are less accurate than PCR - my understanding is that they basically don't give false negatives, but there is a small percentage of false positives.

I also think just with myself, friends, colleagues - most people I know do LFTs pretty regularly (especially if they have kids) and that makes us more comfortable to do things - especially because you can do them on the day in 15-30 minutes at home and you have a result. I've gone through loads since re-opening but especially once the offices re-opened, as much as anything for my own safety of mind that I'm not going across London on a commuter train with covid.

But it is really weird watching the US talk about this beause there was a clip that went viral of Biden's press secretary being a bit dismissive and incredulous at the idea of just sending Americans tests for free. Because we have that here, but both sides feel slightly disconnected from reality. It doesn't solve the pandemic as I think a lot of test-boosters in the US seem to think it will, but it also isn't impossible to provide for free on a mass scale (and my understanding is the cost of these tests in the UK is a fraction of what it is in the US because we go through so many).

The free tests thing was a interesting point over xmas for me.
My partner works in a school so at home  we have loads of these tests she has been given. She hasn't had any close enough calls to bother really using many of them.
We took a box to us with Switzerland when we went over  as her aunt is vulnerable and we want to be certain if we're mixing with her that all is OK, and...turns out they're impossible to get there. The aunt works as a high school teacher and really wants to get hold of them to check her health regularly but can't.
We plan to smuggle a bunch of the free tests to Switzerland next time she visits.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 08, 2022, 03:49:23 AM

Interesting statistics. It appears that in Europe, most Orthodox Christian countries are low on vaccination rates. It appears that even as a segment of population, people of "Orthodox origin" (not sure if we can define the Russians and Romanians this way) are at the low end.

I wonder if it's just a coincidence, or if there are deeper factors behind this.

Superstitious lot, I'd wager.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2022, 03:59:00 AM
My partner works in a school so at home  we have loads of these tests she has been given. She hasn't had any close enough calls to bother really using many of them.
We took a box to us with Switzerland when we went over  as her aunt is vulnerable and we want to be certain if we're mixing with her that all is OK, and...turns out they're impossible to get there. The aunt works as a high school teacher and really wants to get hold of them to check her health regularly but can't.
We plan to smuggle a bunch of the free tests to Switzerland next time she visits.
Yeah I think it's really interesting how differently different countries have approached testing. From free-for-all on these tests, to allowing them but for sale, to not really using them - it's one of those things that I think still hits home to me how national this pandemic has been.

I thought at the start that we'd all be learning from countries who are most successful and also looking at each other to predict when waves and variants were going to hit us. Instead it seems like each country basically had to discover each wave as a novelty and seems to have either made the same policy mistakes, or ones of their own - but it seems far more national than I expected. It really hit home on testing when Jen Psaki in the White House was utterly incredulous when asked if the US government would send people rapid tests for free.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

:hmm:

It would interesting to know about the stats for the Orthodox people, mosty immigrants, in Portugal. I don't recall any mention of them being anti-vaccines/vaccine "hesitant" (as per Sheilb's PC formulation).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2022, 06:40:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2022, 03:59:00 AM
Yeah I think it's really interesting how differently different countries have approached testing. From free-for-all on these tests, to allowing them but for sale, to not really using them - it's one of those things that I think still hits home to me how national this pandemic has been.

I thought at the start that we'd all be learning from countries who are most successful and also looking at each other to predict when waves and variants were going to hit us. Instead it seems like each country basically had to discover each wave as a novelty and seems to have either made the same policy mistakes, or ones of their own - but it seems far more national than I expected. It really hit home on testing when Jen Psaki in the White House was utterly incredulous when asked if the US government would send people rapid tests for free.

I think that's an issue of experts. While we listen and watch tendencies and experts from everywhere leaders listen to their own experts. Experts that can be quite slow to react when they are not simply idiots.

In this pandemic, post 1st wave, Quebec is Belgium on a 4 week delay. Yet, our leaders have failed to yield to that lesson and react accordingly. They are always a week behind with measures.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Probably just a correlation.  Orthodox Christian countries tend to be Eastern European countries, and a sense of fatalism is probably one of the most pernicious universal traits there.  So is the wide acceptance of all conspiracy theories, to show that you're smarter than to trust the government.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2022, 02:29:06 PM

Probably just a correlation.  Orthodox Christian countries tend to be Eastern European countries, and a sense of fatalism is probably one of the most pernicious universal traits there.  So is the wide acceptance of all conspiracy theories, to show that you're smarter than to trust the government.

Yep, this could be true. I hardly open the Russian-language forums these days — I'm out of patience for the endless conspiracies.

Even educated professionals are sending me "articles" about Mr. Gates scheming to reduce the world's population with vaccines... exasperating.

Agelastus

Had my booster shot today; Moderna. Had Pfizer for my main shots so don't know how this will affect me.

So far, nothing worse than the same mild ache in the jabbed arm that I had with the Pfizer shots. Fingers crossed.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on January 11, 2022, 07:55:01 AM
Had my booster shot today; Moderna. Had Pfizer for my main shots so don't know how this will affect me.

So far, nothing worse than the same mild ache in the jabbed arm that I had with the Pfizer shots. Fingers crossed.

I had same mix. Had a little bit of ache and headachd but nothing else. Husband felt a bit sick on same combo. No wildness like Uber driver who told us moderna would make us dead for two days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2022, 08:03:20 AM
No wildness like Uber driver who told us moderna would make us dead for two days.
:unsure:  :pope: