Texas freezes over (while Ted Cruz flies to Cancún)

Started by The Larch, February 19, 2021, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2021, 05:02:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 21, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
The Brits do things differently from whom?

Almost the rest of the entire world, basically.  :P

In closer terms, Brits tend to not do anything the same way as Europeans, for instance. Say, from driving on the left side, not having IDs, having different electrick sockets to leaving the EU as an extreme thing to do.

Some countries do a few things differently (Ireland also drives on the left, the Scandinavians don't use the Euro...), but Brits do all those things differently.

So Brits don't do anything the same as Europeans based on your ragtag collection of things?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

I read about some Swede in Texas. She claimed that they have no insulation in their house and that that is quite common. I'm thinking that insulation in a place like Texas would be at least as important as insulation in Sweden. I get that there is no heating in lots of buildings, but to keep the heat out insulation should at least be around, otherwise you would waste electricity like mad with the ACs.

What's the deal there?

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2021, 04:23:08 AM
I read about some Swede in Texas. She claimed that they have no insulation in their house and that that is quite common. I'm thinking that insulation in a place like Texas would be at least as important as insulation in Sweden. I get that there is no heating in lots of buildings, but to keep the heat out insulation should at least be around, otherwise you would waste electricity like mad with the ACs.

What's the deal there?

Wouldn't that help the environment? And wouldn't that make you A LIBERAL?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2021, 04:23:08 AM

What's the deal there?

Why insulate when you have A/C? :P (Also, what Brain said.)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Wait a minute... 5% of annual energy expenditure in Alaska goes to cooling down the houses? FFS.

Josquius

In Japan houses don't have much insulation despite winters being proper winters as standard. They prioritise the worse discomfort of their hot summers. Insulation in the uk does make houses uncomfortably hot when the weather gets above 20.
I guess it's a hold over from before ac was everywhere when air flow was the way to keep cool?
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

We have a well insulated modern house with floor heating (thus very slow to react) and when the sun unexpectedly shines it can get very hot inside. I usually open a window and that's that.

For very hot summer days it can get very hot indeed. Normally we keep everything closed up as well as we can and the house stays coolish until the afternoon and then we open windows. It does not work very well when it's above 30 degrees, but then we only get 5-20 such days every year. If we start getting more hot days I'll install an AC and then the insulation will make damn sure that we won't be ruined by the electricity bill. I don't understand why insulation would be less important in a hot climate.

Syt

Saw on John Oliver that Texas ran into similar issue in 2011, and there were calls then to get the power infrastructure winter ready which were subsequently ignored. Is that true? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2021, 07:42:51 AM
Saw on John Oliver that Texas ran into similar issue in 2011, and there were calls then to get the power infrastructure winter ready which were subsequently ignored. Is that true? :unsure:

That's the year Texas had to rely on Mexico, at least, as said previously.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2021, 05:56:05 AM
Wait a minute... 5% of annual energy expenditure in Alaska goes to cooling down the houses? FFS.

No, on average 5% of total home energy is spent on cooling in the colder climates (that include about 50% of the US).  There is no separate entry for Alaska.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2021, 07:42:51 AM

I've read, I'll try to find it some Texan publication, that the operators are saying they did make some changes. But 1) it hasn't gotten cold enough to test anything until now 2) it was significantly colder than last time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Threviel

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2021, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2021, 05:56:05 AM

No, on average 5% of total home energy is spent on cooling in the colder climates (that include about 50% of the US).  There is no separate entry for Alaska.

Wait a minute... Are you saying that Alaska is part of a group of states that spend 5% of their annual energy consumption on cooling?

J/k. I can obviously not into graphics.

celedhring

Yeah, when I lived in NYC my AC ran like crazy during the summer, and that's part of the "cold" climate in the map.

Caliga

not having IDs
:hmm:

There's not a national ID card system in the UK (assuming that's what you meant)?  If so how does NHS work?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2021, 12:42:00 PM
not having IDs
:hmm:

There's not a national ID card system in the UK (assuming that's what you meant)?  If so how does NHS work?

Free at the point of delivery, after which hospital trusts then use their own revenue/enforcement staff to chase up people who aren't eligible or from outside the UK or countries we don't have agreements with.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"