Texas freezes over (while Ted Cruz flies to Cancún)

Started by The Larch, February 19, 2021, 06:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I love that after Cruz put out his statement someone (presumably a friend) released Heidi Cruz's group texts about going on holiday.

It's just extraordinary the extent that the more someone knows Cruz well, the more they're willing to brief against him. Whether it's family friends, fellow Senators, former fellow students etc - I'd be fascinated to see quite how awful he is in person, because as a politician he just seems like a politician but everyone who knows him seems to really dislike him :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Best part is how he tried to blame the whole thing on his daughters. The sign of true political courage right there ...   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

I don't understand the focus on where politicians are during a crisis.  It likely makes next to zero difference on people's water or power supply. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on February 19, 2021, 09:20:23 AM
I don't understand the focus on where politicians are during a crisis.  It likely makes next to zero difference on people's water or power supply.
Some Politicians matter.

but Zodiac Ted? Not a damn thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2021, 09:22:58 AM

That's got to be my favorite bizarre political fake news/meme of the past 10 years  :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2021, 09:29:58 AM

That's got to be my favorite bizarre political fake news/meme of the past 10 years  :lol:

and the craziest thing? He leans into it!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 19, 2021, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 19, 2021, 09:29:58 AM

and the craziest thing? He leans into it!
Well - Zodiac always liked attention.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1296134869320380419

QuoteTed Cruz
@tedcruz
California is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity.

Biden/Harris/AOC want to make CA's failed energy policy the standard nationwide.

Hope you don't like air conditioning!

QuoteOffice of the Governor of California
@CAgovernor
· Aug 19, 2020
We must do our part conserve energy through 10 PM:
👉🏾 Turn off unnecessary lights
👉🏾 Avoid using major appliances
👉🏾 Set thermostat to 78 or higher

Get more info on energy conservation. 🔽 twitter.com/Cal_OES/status...
7:20 PM · Aug 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

It is a function of living in a democracy.

People expect their leaders to be 'one of them' to an extent, to understand their experiences and to share them; they also expect their leaders to be working for the good of the public.

There may be little that a senator can *physically* do at that particular moment (he isn't going to personally reset generators or anything), but at the least they could be investigating the crisis, pressuring the right people who can get things done, bargaining with the federal government for aid, canvassing other senators to organize support for the state - you know, leadership stuff. Which is sort of what he is elected to do.

Buggering off to a warmer climate on vacation during a double crisis - pandemic and storm power outage - is both tone deaf (he relaxes while his constituents freeze in the dark) and a complete abdication of responsibility (he relaxes while everyone else is presumably working to correct the situation). It exemplifies his lack of care for others, which is more or less the hallmark of the Trump Republicans.

He compounded that by lying about it, notably claiming he only went to Mexico to support his daughters - thus adding lying and cowardice to selfishness. Lying and moral cowardice are also hallmarks of the Trump Republicans.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2021, 10:19:55 AM

It is a function of living in a democracy.

People expect their leaders to be 'one of them' to an extent, to understand their experiences and to share them; they also expect their leaders to be working for the good of the public.

There may be little that a senator can *physically* do at that particular moment (he isn't going to personally reset generators or anything), but at the least they could be investigating the crisis, pressuring the right people who can get things done, bargaining with the federal government for aid, canvassing other senators to organize support for the state - you know, leadership stuff. Which is sort of what he is elected to do.

Buggering off to a warmer climate on vacation during a double crisis - pandemic and storm power outage - is both tone deaf (he relaxes while his constituents freeze in the dark) and a complete abdication of responsibility (he relaxes while everyone else is presumably working to correct the situation). It exemplifies his lack of care for others, which is more or less the hallmark of the Trump Republicans.

He compounded that by lying about it, notably claiming he only went to Mexico to support his daughters - thus adding lying and cowardice to selfishness.

One of the best examples of going above and beyond was the major of Calgary during its flood crisis.  He did a lot of things outside the normal job description and powers of a mere mayor to bring relief to the city.

Syt

Beto O'Rourke, meanwhile, organized an effort to call hundreds of thousands of Texans to see how they do and if anyone needed help.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Legbiter

Moral responsibility. Show you share the same downsides as other citizens.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PDH

Quote from: Legbiter on February 19, 2021, 10:40:10 AM

Moral responsibility. Show you share the same downsides as other citizens.

Especially when there are hints that you know you're above them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Donald Trump Jr with a rambling video to defend Cruz.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1362539576963837952?s=20

My favorite bit: "Now, if I were a Trump ... which I am ... I would come up with a nickname, like 'Cancun Cruz.'" :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

You can add to Ted Cruz's tally that he had asked Texans on monday to just stay home and refrain from travelling during this period, as well as having critiziced the major of Austin for also taking a holiday in Mexico during the Covid pandemic.

He's now also being lambasted for leaving his dog behind in Texas during the trip.  :lol:

QuoteTed Cruz 'left behind' pet poodle, Snowflake, at 'freezing' Texas home during Cancun trip
Security guard was reportedly looking after Republican senator's dog during family's Mexico vacation