Polish court orders historians to apologise over Holocaust book

Started by Syt, February 11, 2021, 04:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2021, 07:20:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 11, 2021, 06:53:05 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2021, 03:30:58 PM
Because the answers are 1. yes and 2. no, then I don't see the problem with the verdict, just one of the countless libel trials basically.

Is it typical in Europe for dead people to sue for libel?

Dead people in Romania are known to British lawyers.

Raz, you ruined the joke.  You left out a word, again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:20:28 AM
Because the answers are 1. yes and 2. no, then I don't see the problem with the verdict, just one of the countless libel trials basically.

I don't think adding the word "again" would make that Dracula joke any funnier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:21:17 AM

You're an idiot. Fuck you!

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:21:46 AM

Fuck you?  No, man fuck me!

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:22:12 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:21:46 AM

Fuck you?  No, man fuck me!

Wait, what?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 06:44:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2021, 06:26:15 AM
The point of the thread if this was a politically motivated punitive verdict to discourage research into Polish collaborators. That was clearly the intention of the organisation supporting the niece making the claim, but I think the judge quite clearly refused to do this for them.

I think it's fairer to say the point of the thread is the underlying Polish law is total crap and the judge's verdict is not as crappy as the law but still crap.

You've got a future in legal analysis if you want it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Joan, do you ever watch this guy's clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpgiAsJiooM

I'm curious what you think.

Clip picked at random.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2021, 06:51:08 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2021, 06:48:23 AM
Yeah I'm not convinced this should ever have been near a court and I'm very uncomfortable with a pressure group funding this sort of case - because you imagine they'll be doing it for any publisher.

It reminds me of a less extreme version of the David Irving libel trial. That got the right result but I'm not sure was quite right in terms of whether there should've been a libel case at all.

Fair point.

In general I don't like this, I just don't like dismissing the overall topic as silly East Europeans being butthurt. As discussed at the start of the thread there are a lot of sensibilities and tragedies behind these things and Poland in particular has the right to be sensitive about what the focus is on when it comes to their fate in WW2.

They of course themselves are causing most of the problem by making sure focus is on this, but still.

The notion that academic work studying WW2 should be subjected to a court order reflecting the sensitivities of the country being examined is nonsense.  That is the point.

Grey Fox

I can't believe you guys hid an entire conversation about the cultural impact of time, the internet & american influence domination into a Poland bullshit thread.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Viper, we need you to make the same exact post for the trifecta.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on February 12, 2021, 10:28:27 AM
Whoa!

That's fairly close to the reaction I get when I do that routine in a restaurant. I don't need to make reservations ahead of time because that always opens up at least one table.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus