Military coup in Myanmar

Started by Barrister, February 01, 2021, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2021, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2021, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2021, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 06, 2021, 12:59:06 PM
Perhaps, but slavery existed long before Christianity and in societies with no Christian presence.
True, but we were talking about white supremacy, the idea that being White makes you so superior that others can/should be enslaved for their benefit.  That is deeply rooted in Christianity.  And I'm also aware that the opposite is also true: Middle aged Christianity was used to fight against the idea of slavery, especially of owning christian slaves.  Same as Islam, really.

My point is that both religions are equally "evil", as "evil" as the men practicing it can be.

Christianity was the religion of slaves at the beginning.  It is the North American evangelical version of Christianity that has become fused with white nationalism.

There are lots of non-white evangelicals.

Yes.  But very few of them are white nationalists.  If you read to the end of my second sentence, you will see the problem.

Jacob

Quote from: Threviel on February 08, 2021, 03:00:59 PMExtremist islam is not the reason for the problem, it is a symptom.

Yeah I concur with this, though of course with any complex problems symptoms can act as drivers as well.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2021, 08:40:15 PM
Yes.  But very few of them are white nationalists.  If you read to the end of my second sentence, you will see the problem.

True but they certainly have lots of reactionary potential if properly mobilized.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2021, 09:04:29 PM

True but they certainly have lots of reactionary potential if properly mobilized.

Yeah, the GOP could potentially clean house if they found a way to expand to non-white reactionaries and conservatives without alienating the bigot wing of their base.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2021, 07:46:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 08, 2021, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2021, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 06, 2021, 12:59:06 PM
Perhaps, but slavery existed long before Christianity and in societies with no Christian presence.
True, but we were talking about white supremacy, the idea that being White makes you so superior that others can/should be enslaved for their benefit.  That is deeply rooted in Christianity.  And I'm also aware that the opposite is also true: Middle aged Christianity was used to fight against the idea of slavery, especially of owning christian slaves.  Same as Islam, really.

My point is that both religions are equally "evil", as "evil" as the men practicing it can be.

Christianity was the religion of slaves at the beginning.  It is the North American evangelical version of Christianity that has become fused with white nationalism.

There are lots of non-white evangelicals.

Yeah, that's the claim I was taking issue with. Both evangelical Christianity and white nationalism are perfectly capable of thriving without the other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 08, 2021, 11:43:15 PM
Yeah, that's the claim I was taking issue with. Both evangelical Christianity and white nationalism are perfectly capable of thriving without the other.

For sure, and they have for long periods of time. However it seems, in the US at least, that the two threads are converging. Or perhaps more precisely, that a specific mixture of white nationalism and evangelical Christianity has recently shown itself to be quite potent.

crazy canuck

Sure, but the reality is they are closely related for whites in America.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2021, 12:44:53 AM

For sure, and they have for long periods of time. However it seems, in the US at least, that the two threads are converging. Or perhaps more precisely, that a specific mixture of white nationalism and evangelical Christianity has recently shown itself to be quite potent.
Yeah - I'm not even sure it's necessarily to do with evangelism though. The most white nationalist churches in the recent past were definitely the Dutch churches in South Africa which were explicitly racist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2021, 03:43:03 PM
Yeah - I'm not even sure it's necessarily to do with evangelism though. The most white nationalist churches in the recent past were definitely the Dutch churches in South Africa which were explicitly racist.

That depends on what you mean by "to do with evangelism", I reckon.

If you by evangelism you mean "focus on preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ, personal conversion experiences, Scripture as the sole basis for faith, and active evangelism" then I suppose not. On the other hand, evangelical Christianity in the US has broadly speaking aligned itself politically with a specific agenda and if that's what someone means when they say "evangelism" then it is plenty related.

Razgovory

Er, what specific agenda are you talking about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2021, 04:35:39 PM

I assume he means Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Trump was, apparently, an agent of God's divine providence. What was God thinking?  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on February 09, 2021, 04:35:39 PM

The GOP agenda.

I'm saying (white) Evangelical Christianity in the US is closely aligned with the GOP agenda and vice versa.

Sheilbh is saying that that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Evangelism, which is true if you consider Evangelism as a historical or theological phenomenon. But it is true if you consider American white Evangelical Christianity as cultural and demographic phenomenon.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2021, 05:46:01 PM
Sheilbh is saying that that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Evangelism, which is true if you consider Evangelism as a historical or theological phenomenon. But it is true if you consider American white Evangelical Christianity as cultural and demographic phenomenon.
Yeah which is a fair point. What I mean is more that it's not something within the content of evangelical belief. Rather the secular cultural and demographic forces often shape the religion as often (if not more) than they are shaped by them and I think politics will sort of instrumentalise whatever faith is lying around - whether that's Evangelism, or Dutch Calvinist churches, or various brands of Islam, or whatever else.

And as with even very conservative Muslims there's value in distinguishing between believers and people who are using that as a political agenda.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Definitely true. Let's not forget radical Muslims are effectively Muslim protestants. True Conservative Muslims from more traditional sects tend to be a lot more live and let live even when it comes to gay people and other big trigger points for the nutters.
██████
██████
██████