Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

What if... Zombies?

Starts out kind of fun - it takes place during the opening of Infinity War with Banner returning to earth, but only there are zombies.  Zombie super heroes maintain their super powers and most of their intellect, but have a ravenous hunger for human flesh.  It turns out that Janet Van Dyne returned from the Quantum Realm infected with a zombie virus.

Again another pretty dark episode, although Paul Rudd/Ant-Man lets loose with a TON of corny jokes throughout.  Lots of hero-on-zombie-hero action.  We get to see the Wasp explode someone by going inside them then growing big.

Show ends on a hopeful note with our remaining heros have a way to cure everyone - then a quick shot of zombie Thanos to show they're all screwed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Dr strange one - Meh. I guess it's so long since I've seen the film I totally didn't remember he had a dead girlfriend. Not sure I followed all the timey wimey stuff going on.

Zombies - stupid but fun. Why on earth do these zombies keep their powers and some kind of reason? Even hawkeye keeps his bow... It's daft. More the sort of what if I expected, though interesting how eager they consistently are to kill their characters
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2021, 09:35:49 AM
Dr strange one - Meh. I guess it's so long since I've seen the film I totally didn't remember he had a dead girlfriend. Not sure I followed all the timey wimey stuff going on.

Zombies - stupid but fun. Why on earth do these zombies keep their powers and some kind of reason? Even hawkeye keeps his bow... It's daft. More the sort of what if I expected, though interesting how eager they consistently are to kill their characters

Dr Stranger's girlfriend dying was the divergence point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2021, 10:20:14 AM

If you want to get deep in the weeds (and I do) the divergence point was McAdam's character agreeing to go with Strange to whatever event in the first place, which seemingly reconnected the two of them together.  In the movie Strange was alone in that car and the two were not a couple.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2021, 10:25:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2021, 10:20:14 AM

If you want to get deep in the weeds (and I do) the divergence point was McAdam's character agreeing to go with Strange to whatever event in the first place, which seemingly reconnected the two of them together.  In the movie Strange was alone in that car and the two were not a couple.

I don't. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Explains not remembering he had a girlfriend at all.
Though it does make it curious that this was a fixed point since...it clearly wasn't. :hmm:
I guess it explains something about how the multiverse works- will we see versions of characters pissed off they got the bad end of fixed points attacking the mainline characters?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2021, 11:06:56 AM
Explains not remembering he had a girlfriend at all.
Though it does make it curious that this was a fixed point since...it clearly wasn't. :hmm:
I guess it explains something about how the multiverse works- will we see versions of characters pissed off they got the bad end of fixed points attacking the mainline characters?

Okay, so I have to admit I didn't remember Rachel McAdams even being in Dr. Strange, so after Ep 4 I had to look up the character.  Her character had been in a relationship with Strange, but broke up with him due to his enormous ego.  The two remained colleagues however.  Strange did invite her to that event but she turned him down.

jimmy olsen

She was a pretty important character. He spends a lot of time with her before going to Tibet and he meets her again when he comes back to New York and ends up in the hospital.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

What if... Killmonger rescued Tony Stark?

I feel like the timeline doesn't really quite match up here (Iron Man came out in 2008), but whatever.

It's an interesting mash-up of the events of Iron Man and Black Panther.  This is a problem with several episodes that it feels like they end mid-way through their story, but none worse than this one - I was like "that's it"?

This can no longer be a coincidence though - the Watcher is more and more visible in each episode.  This one is I think the first time he's not just seen in outline, but as a more fully fleshed out character (although he still doesn't interact with anyone).

They're building to something...

Josquius

Yeah, I was thinking about the timeline thing too. I guess when the MCU universe has been going for 20 years they're inevitably going to start going like the comics with a fluffy major events constantly in the near past timeline.

The ending on this one was quite the cliff hanger. Looked like they were going to setup for Potts/T'Challa's sister whose name I forget as Iron Lady/Black Panther.

I do wonder though- with the way zombies ended, do all alternate timelines have this inevitable endpoint if things don't go according to plan (sans the GoG one) of Thanos coming and wiping people out?

Hope you're right on building to something.
Watcher gets slaughtered by the conqueror to show how bad he is?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2021, 02:58:52 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about the timeline thing too. I guess when the MCU universe has been going for 20 years they're inevitably going to start going like the comics with a fluffy major events constantly in the near past timeline.

The ending on this one was quite the cliff hanger. Looked like they were going to setup for Potts/T'Challa's sister whose name I forget as Iron Lady/Black Panther.

I do wonder though- with the way zombies ended, do all alternate timelines have this inevitable endpoint if things don't go according to plan (sans the GoG one) of Thanos coming and wiping people out?

Hope you're right on building to something.
Watcher gets slaughtered by the conqueror to show how bad he is?

Well not the second episode, where Thanos is convinced by T'Challa/Star Lord not to go ahead with universal genocide. :lol:

I suspect there might be some kind of multiversal cross-over in the last episode or two, with Captain Carter, T'Challa/Star Lord, Antman/Head-in-a-jar, plus whomever, against some combination of zombies / evil Strange / Killmonger?

Barrister

This was a fun episode.  Party on, Thor!  Nice palate cleanser after several really dark episodes.

It's crazy they get people like Jeff Goldblum and Taika Waititi to record like 2 lines of dialogue - maybe they're coming back?

But then what's with Ultron/Vision with the Infinity stones?  And the Watcher seemed surprised by this?

Josquius

I liked the Wiley Coyote/DragonballZesque battle.

I guess we are going into inter dimensional cross overs now. So the watcher can see multiple dimensions but people crossing over is too much for him?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

It's the realization that the sacred time line is no longer unique.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Next up is What if... Ultron won?

So I haven't seen it, but based just on the title and the end scene from the last episode it does look like What If? is going multi-dimensional.  Second to last episode, so I'm guessing this is a two-parter.