From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2009, 09:48:55 AM
Another question is: if at the Beer Summit, both parties admit they were wrong, will all assembled here accept that and will debate end, or will it continue and perhaps move to a more theoretical plane of existence? :contract:

I, for one, hope this m.o. from Obama will become a constant feature of his politics.

Scenario: Russia invades Georgia.
Day 1: Obama calls Putin stupid.
Day 2: Obama says he didn't mean it.
Day 3: Obama invites Putin and Shakashvili (sp) for a round of beer.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 31, 2009, 06:23:14 AM
Scenario: Russia invades Georgia.
Day 1: Obama calls Putin stupid.
Day 2: Obama says he didn't mean it.
Day 3: Obama invites Putin and Shakashvili (sp) for a round of beer.

Putin is a teetotaller proving again that Russia is not to be trusted.

It also shows that to rule Russia one only has to be the only sober person left in the country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2009, 08:01:06 AM
Yeltsin's amusing drunkenness trumps Putin's Kung Fu in coolness, but only by a little bit.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2009, 08:01:06 AM
Yeltsin's amusing drunkenness trumps Putin's Kung Fu in coolness, but only by a little bit.

Judo :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Caliga

excerpt from Beer Summit AAR:
Gates was the only one who drank a fully American beer, opting for a Sam Adams light. Obama drank Bud Lite, made by a Belgian company, Biden had nonalcoholic Buckler, brewed by Dutch Heineken, and Crowley chose Blue Moon, from Canadian Molson.

Conclusions:

Gates loves America.
Obama hates America.
Biden is a homo.
Crowley loves North America.

full article at: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=8218741&page=2

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

It is good to see the President AND Vice-President addressing the really important issues that trouble America.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 08:25:13 AM
It is good to see the President AND Vice-President addressing the really important issues that trouble America.
I agree! :w00t:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 08:23:35 AM
excerpt from Beer Summit AAR:
Gates was the only one who drank a fully American beer, opting for a Sam Adams light. Obama drank Bud Lite, made by a Belgian company, Biden had nonalcoholic Buckler, brewed by Dutch Heineken, and Crowley chose Blue Moon, from Canadian Molson.

Conclusions:

Gates loves America.
Obama hates America.
Biden is a homo.
Crowley loves North America.

full article at: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Story?id=8218741&page=2

Did they actually drink their beers?  In the short clip I saw only the cop actually drank anything.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2009, 06:11:07 PM
Ah, no.  LaPore is the Peeping Tom case.

Irrelevant - it sets out a standard that is binding on Mass law enforcement.  The fact that the precise fact pattern differs doesn't change the generall applicability of the standard.

QuoteAnd in Lopiano, the issue was that the suspect was not attempting to accomplish anything by his speech other than venting.  Not necessarily so in the Gates case (ie a reasonable person could infer motives to Gates's speech).

Incorrect for two reasons.
First, the question of intent is prong 1.  Lopiano goes to prong 2 - what is the objective conduct that triggers the violation.  You need both.

Second, I don't know what "motives" you are purporting to "infer" from Gates speech, but Crowley knew exactly what Gates' motives were.  Gates had slagged off Crowley continuously in his house.  Crowley invited him to continue that discussion outside, and Gates did the same thing there and said the same things there he did in his house.  His motive pure and simple was to vent against Gates.

Third, whatever motive you are trying to infer could just as well have been inferred to Lopiano.

Law is often full of gray areas - but this situation is not one of them. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.