From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

@ grumbler

Obviously not :P

But what I mean is that it'd been grabbing headlines in the Crimson, etc.  I dunno if the issue had died down since late 2006 when I left, but this will surely reignite it.  By the time Summers left I was at one of the teaching hospitals so I didn't get as much news (both directly and as interdepartmental gossip), but I would guess replacing him with a woman killed the sexism debate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

But does Summers being a racist/sexist/nazi whatever mean the whole school is?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

The issue was that the administration didn't do enough to promote black dudes and women into tenured positions.  I don't know that you can pin that all on the President, but I suppose he could share the blame because if there are 'racist' deans he should be removing them.

Don't ask me to rationalize this... I never perceived any kind of bias, but then again I had a job and lacked the idle time to get paranoid and angry at people for no reason, unlike the folks who write for the Crimson. :P

swallow

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2009, 08:51:50 AM
Read the story again.  The police officer was not part of the university's police force.  He was a city cop.
But he 'phoned the university police
QuoteThe Cambridge police report describes a chaotic scene in which the police sergeant stood at Gates's door, demanded identification, and radioed for assistance from Harvard University police when Gates presented him with a Harvard ID'

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2009, 08:51:50 AM
Read the story again.  The police officer was not part of the university's police force.  He was a city cop.

This isn't NYPD, its the City of Cambridge police force.  Henry Louis Gates is very well known in that community and a very recognizable figure.  He showed two different forms of ID and still was harassed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Boston and Cambridge cops have a rep for being gigantic assholes btw. :)

The Minsky Moment

I'm just saying that is a pretty small town.  You would think a police sergeant would probably be able to recognize him by appearance, or at the very least recognize the name on the two forms of ID he saw.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2009, 09:17:25 AM

Ah, but are they equal opportunity assholes?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2009, 09:17:25 AM

Well they are probably Irish and everybody knows all Irish people are incredibly racist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

er, I don't think of Cambridge as a small town but rather as a smallish city. ^_^

You're also assuming that public servants in Massachusetts aren't phenomenally ignorant.  Bad assumption :contract:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 09:20:56 AMWell they are probably Irish and everybody knows all Irish people are incredibly racist.
Valmy comes right out and says what I was going to try to subtly hint at.  :cool:

DontSayBanana

Surprised nobody's talking about the question of whether the cop went inside the house. If true, especially after being shown ID, the cop spectacularly mishandled the situation and deserves whatever disciplinary action Gates' attorney can get thrown at him.
Experience bij!

Norgy

Ok, I going to watch Andy Sipowicz and NYPD Blue now.

KRonn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 21, 2009, 10:28:01 AM
Surprised nobody's talking about the question of whether the cop went inside the house. If true, especially after being shown ID, the cop spectacularly mishandled the situation and deserves whatever disciplinary action Gates' attorney can get thrown at him.
The cop may have mishandled things, and it will come out in investigation. But the professor being inside his home wouldn't necessarily mean that he isn't a burglar, given that the call came over a home break in. Cop may have entered the home and found the professor, and not know that he's the home owner.  I get the impression that things got heated before and after the cop being shown ID.

garbon

Sounds like the officer got annoyed with him yelling about racism and the like, and used the excuse that the professor hadn't initially wanted to show ID.  One would think after 58 years, said African-American professor would know how a black person is supposed to act around cops...kind and courteous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.