Evangelical Christianity and politics - the elephant in the room

Started by crazy canuck, January 11, 2021, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 11, 2021, 03:53:22 PM
I did nothing.

for a second i was wondering what St Francis did wrong. for some reason the name Francis doesn't click as Pope for me. Guess i'm getting even more lapsed as i age.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2021, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2021, 02:11:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2021, 01:58:10 PM

did you read past the first line of the OP?

No I didn't. That is why I questioned its veracity in the first line of my post because I didn't read it.

Ok seriously, yes I obviously did read it. Was there some kind of special magic meaning I didn't get that was not evident in the words used?

I get the impression that the thesis in the OP isn't really up for discussion, but merely for confirmation.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I can think of nothing that could heal America more than a good old fashioned Augustinian-Pelagian controversy.
Let's call the Tunsians and see if Carthage is still available to hold a council.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2021, 05:24:09 PM
I can think of nothing that could heal America more than a good old fashioned Augustinian-Pelagian controversy.
Let's call the Tunsians and see if Carthage is still available to hold a council.
:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2021, 05:24:09 PM
:lol: I have read before that Pelagius is apparently a go to heretic for American evangelicals to sum up their fears of the modern world.

I think it is part of the weird cosplay nature of this - which I don't mean to diminish the seriousness of storming the Capitol or attitudes on the right about Christianity. If anything I think the cosplaying makes it more serious. But you see Christian writers in the US posting the pictures of Copts being murdered in Egypt, or stories from Solzhenitsyn, or the early Church martyrs as an example of the environment that is being created in the US.

On the one hand it's clearly nonsense and offensive to, for example, the Coptic who face very real threats. But I think it does drive politics on part of the right (and increases the drama of the individual resister) - and yes Trump may be morally bad on a personal level, but so were lots Caesars and as long as he's "our" Caesar it's sort of fine. And I wonder how much of that is possibly shaped by the fact that America's always self-consciously had an eye on Rome as the model for a Republic, so that even now a lot of the criticisms of Trump often refer to end of the Roman Republic thinking/precedents.

Ironically from a Catholic perspective Francis has also spent all of his papacy saying the enemies of true Christianity are neo-Pelagianists and neo-Gnostics. In his phrasing the Pelagianists are people who focus so much on appearance and liturgy and rites that they become purely self-referential and trapped in their own sort of structure (it's a temptation we all have but especially the rad trads), while the modern Gnostics are sort of the "spiritual not religious" folks whose spirituality is so abstract and generalised as to, again, end up being purely self-referential.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2021, 04:14:09 PM
I did nothing.

for a second i was wondering what St Francis did wrong. for some reason the name Francis doesn't click as Pope for me. Guess i'm getting even more lapsed as i age.

Doesn't click at all for me. We refer to him as François.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2021, 09:27:23 AM
I did nothing.

That just makes me think of president Mitterand  :frog:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 12, 2021, 09:32:50 AM
I did nothing.

Pape François is closer to another president François i.e Hollande a.k.a Flanby.  :P

Valmy

Well Mitterand is unlikely to be brought up in the present tense these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2021, 09:34:16 AM
Well Mitterand is unlikely to be brought up in the present tense these days.

There is this présent de narration in French though.  :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2021, 09:33:54 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 12, 2021, 09:32:50 AM
I did nothing.

Pape François is closer to another president François i.e Hollande a.k.a Flanby.  :P

Oh I'd already forgotten about Flanby, consigned to the dustbin of history after a few short years poor fellow  :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 12, 2021, 09:40:33 AM
Oh I'd already forgotten about Flanby, consigned to the dustbin of history after a few short years poor fellow  :(
Yeah - I feel like of all French President's he's made least impression on the consciousness :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2021, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 12, 2021, 09:40:33 AM
Yeah - I feel like of all French President's he's made least impression on the consciousness :(

You are not the only one(s).  :P