And we're back!

Main Menu

Cap and Trade. Good, bad or ugly?

Started by KRonn, July 02, 2009, 01:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2009, 08:48:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2009, 08:43:49 AM
He is way too over-zealous, but his general point is correct.
Disagree.  He is a wacko.  Statements like "pointing out the lies of politicians is the best way to end one's career as a 'prominent journalist'" are so obviously false on the face of them that he has zero cred with anything I cannot verify myself.

Yeah he is very wrong on that. the reason there is no substantial media coverage for laisez faire approach is that the overwhelming majority of journalists are lefty potheads of FB fame. And the rest are untalented.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2009, 08:50:56 AM
Yeah he is very wrong on that. the reason there is no substantial media coverage for laisez faire approach is that the overwhelming majority of journalists are lefty potheads of FB fame. And the rest are untalented.
Why would there be "media coverage" on a non-existent "approach?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Let's take a look.

He's written a book alleging Abe Lincoln was a malignant, dishonest tyrant, and another blaming all of America's woes on Hamilton's policy of federal assumption of state debt.  Check.

He names economic and political "laws" after himself.  Check.

He advocates the Lochner doctrine.  Check.

He attacks people who are much smarter and more accomplished than him as "academic frauds".  Check.

He quotes Murrary Rothbard and spouts conspiracy theories about the Fed.  Check. 

The guy is a grade F flake.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on July 10, 2009, 04:40:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 10, 2009, 08:41:09 AM
I wasn't arguing that CO2 emissions won't be limited, I'm just pointing out that utilities aren't really a free market and may not respond well to cap and trade incentives.
But they HAVE responded well to cap and trade systems already!

How so, the program isn't even in place yet?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on July 21, 2009, 09:07:25 AM
How so, the program isn't even in place yet?
"Cap and trade" is a mechanism, not a CO2 abatement program per se.  There is not cap and trade in CO2 yet, but there is one for sulfur dioxide, and it has worked well above initial expectations.  I mentioned it some time ago in this very thread.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!