News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I hope "double plus good" is still okay with them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Just for fun. here's a recent story from the CBC about 18 words you "may want to think twice about using".

A couple make sense to me, like "gypped".  But most are pretty stupid like "grandfathered in", "first world problems", "brainstorm", or "lame".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/words-and-phrases-commonly-used-offensive-english-language-1.6252274
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

QuoteUsing the term brainstorm could also be insensitive to those who have brain injuries or are neurodiverse, added Cashman.

"More important is the stigma that it will effectuate about ...  disorders [like] epilepsy for example," said Kalra.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Can you still say barnstorming?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on December 08, 2021, 05:26:53 PM
QuoteUsing the term brainstorm could also be insensitive to those who have brain injuries or are neurodiverse, added Cashman.

"More important is the stigma that it will effectuate about ...  disorders [like] epilepsy for example," said Kalra.

:lol:

I'm neuro diverse.  It's a disease not a badge of honor.  Yeah, sometimes it has a rare upside, but it's like being born with flippers instead of legs.  Sure, you can swim better but that's not much consolation if you aren't a fish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 11:18:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 11:13:48 AM
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, we're only discussing the topic, we don't have to provide an alternative districting map.
Well, you kind of have to, if you're going to make a statement that 18% number is too low.  I'm sure Zoupa didn't realize the issue was far less obvious than he assumed, which is why I replied to him to begin with.

Oh you're sure are you? What an insufferable condescending asshole you are.

What I said is that 51% of the state should have more than 18% of representation. "AcsHuaLlY ThAt'S a FaLSE AsSumPtiOn!!111!!!".

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on December 09, 2021, 04:14:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 11:18:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 11:13:48 AM
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, we're only discussing the topic, we don't have to provide an alternative districting map.
Well, you kind of have to, if you're going to make a statement that 18% number is too low.  I'm sure Zoupa didn't realize the issue was far less obvious than he assumed, which is why I replied to him to begin with.

Oh you're sure are you? What an insufferable condescending asshole you are.

What I said is that 51% of the state should have more than 18% of representation. "AcsHuaLlY ThAt'S a FaLSE AsSumPtiOn!!111!!!".
If you're going to combine Hispanics and blacks into a single category, then they together probably already have more than 18% representation in the proposed map.  We can't tell with 100% certainty, but there are 22% of the districts unaccounted for in the second column, and most of those are likely cases where there is a three-way split inside the district with none of the three individually being over 50%.  If you take two of those three categories and combine them, then the merged category may clear the 50% threshold.

This is why I said that the math in this one little table is far less obvious than it seems.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2021, 05:09:53 PM
Just for fun. here's a recent story from the CBC about 18 words you "may want to think twice about using".

A couple make sense to me, like "gypped".  But most are pretty stupid like "grandfathered in", "first world problems", "brainstorm", or "lame".

Seems like this is a first world problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

The list is lame because it has no legs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 09, 2021, 01:58:29 PM
The list is lame because it has no legs.

I only used that as an example.  I have legs not flippers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

There is, IMO, a significant difference between an article saying "here are some words you may want to think twice about using, for these reasons..." (even of some of those reasons seem a bit spurious) and "here's a list of words that we - in our capacity as officials - are banning in the school system."

And to be clear, I think the second one is significantly worse.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 07, 2021, 04:57:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 12:59:14 PM
Numbers are not means to an end.  Numbers are powerful tools.

Numbers are not "tools" they are elements of human language, and human language is pragmatic, flexible and contextual.  If someone says "You look like a million bucks" - they are not presenting the results of a formal valuation report on your outfit.  If someone agrees to give 110% effort it doesn't mean they are Siamese twins each contributing 55.  Not every human conversational interaction that includes a numerical expression is a formal thesis.  In context, it wasn't reasonable to read Zoupa's comments as proposing a precise calculation - indeed the point of the comments was a disclaim mathematic precision but to make an emphatic expression that there is real impact here.  And he's right, there is.

Which isn't proven or even demonstrated by his point.

We have a first past the post system. If a state is 51% democratic voters and 49% republican, what percent of the house representatives should be democratic? If every district is drawn to have a equal partisan skew, the answer is obvious: 100% democratic.

32.5% of Massachusetts voters went for Trump. My understanding is that it would be difficult to draw a map where Trump voters were a majority in a Massachusetts house district. Indeed every house seat in Massachusetts is controlled by Democrats. That isn't nefarious; it is math.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2021, 02:47:14 PM
There is, IMO, a significant difference between an article saying "here are some words you may want to think twice about using, for these reasons..." (even of some of those reasons seem a bit spurious) and "here's a list of words that we - in our capacity as officials - are banning in the school system."

You could lose your job in both situations.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2021, 02:47:14 PM

it starts with the first, though.
US Republicans complained about insensitive words for years, now Texas has a list of words teachers can't use in class.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on December 09, 2021, 06:29:21 PM
32.5% of Massachusetts voters went for Trump. My understanding is that it would be difficult to draw a map where Trump voters were a majority in a Massachusetts house district.

What does that have to do with the price of bagels?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson