News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, we're only discussing the topic, we don't have to provide an alternative districting map.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 11:13:48 AM
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, we're only discussing the topic, we don't have to provide an alternative districting map.
Well, you kind of have to, if you're going to make a statement that 18% number is too low.  I'm sure Zoupa didn't realize the issue was far less obvious than he assumed, which is why I replied to him to begin with.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 11:18:42 AM
Well, you kind of have to, if you're going to make a statement that 18% number is too low.  I'm sure Zoupa didn't realize the issue was far less obvious than he assumed, which is why I replied to him to begin with.

Did you read the article I posted?

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 11:19:18 AM

Oh my god, are you this obtuse and unbearable in RL as well?
A bit out of line, don't you think?

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 11:21:30 AM

Oh my god, are you this obtuse and unbearable in RL as well?
A bit out of line, don't you think?

Realized and already edited before you answered.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 11:13:20 AM
We don't know whether minorities are dispersed enough for an 18% number of be unfair.  I do know that they are dispersed, but I don't know whether that dispersion would imply 5% or 35% to be the fair number, and neither does Zoupa or you.

I know that residential areas have high levels of segregation based on the public data, that the process followed to produce the maps was tainted, and the results are a map where most rural districts have nice straight lines and the urban districts where ethnic residential areas can be found look an 8.0 richter scale earthquake hit a well advanced game of twister. That is more than enough evidence to reach the conclusion that something improper happen.  That is what an argument based on facts looks like.

I don't need to postulate a particular percentage control number (a conceptual framework I don't really accept anyways) and I don't think a charitable reading of Zoupa's comment would interpret it in such a purely literal way. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Did you read the article I posted?

No because the only acceptable alternatives are having complete and 100% accurate household level data on every adult citizen in the state or complete ignorance of all facts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

If you read the chain of replies, my reply was third, after Yi and Zoupa.  Yi asked a perfectly reasonable question, Zoupa countered it with a flawed assumption, I pointed out the flawed assumption.  I also made it repeatedly clear that I wasn't disputing the conclusion, but rather the usefulness of the 18% number as an argument towards that.  It didn't turn to shit until the words like "bizarre" or "sophistry" started flying around.

Numbers are not means to an end.  Numbers are powerful tools, but only if they're used with honest intent to discover the truth rather than just pile on.  If they're means to an end, then they lose credibility and with that their power.  It's easy to make honest mistakes, this stuff is very tricky even for professionals.  However, where this goes from an honest mistake to an attitude worthy of disdain is when you're made aware of the flaws and still choose to dig in.  I lose all respect for people who do that repeatedly, it's a mindset that I just can't fathom.

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2021, 02:10:16 AM
It's not apparent to me what percentage of districts *should* be controlled by groups that constitute 39 and 12% of the population.

I think this is a misleading question, as evidenced by DGs marching about with great sound and fury.

The question should be more toward "Were these districts drawn to exclude minorities to an undue degree?" or even "Was there intent to strengthen a position of whites in the formation of these districts?"  A simple cold and analytical question such as yours seeks to withdraw the intent from the debate.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: PDH on December 07, 2021, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2021, 02:10:16 AM
It's not apparent to me what percentage of districts *should* be controlled by groups that constitute 39 and 12% of the population.

I think this is a misleading question, as evidenced by DGs marching about with great sound and fury.

The question should be more toward "Were these districts drawn to exclude minorities to an undue degree?" or even "Was there intent to strengthen a position of whites in the formation of these districts?"  A simple cold and analytical question such as yours seeks to withdraw the intent from the debate.
Yi's question is prompted by the table that someone created and Syt linked.  Whenever someone creates a table, they typically have a point to make, they're not just showing off their Powerpoint formatting skills on a random data dump.  It's a very small table, so there is not a long list of potential points there.  If someone gives you these two columns, they're probably trying to say "here, looks at at this second column, see how obviously different it is from the first column?"

If you're going to make that argument, implicitly or explicitly, whether you're kicking a live horse or a dead horse, then it's natural for Yi or someone else to go "so what should that table look like if there were no funny business?"

Eddie Teach

They were drawn to make more Republican congressmen, race was only indirectly involved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 01:39:15 PM
Yi's question is prompted by the table that someone created and Syt linked.  Whenever someone creates a table, they typically have a point to make, they're not just showing off their Powerpoint formatting skills on a random data dump.  It's a very small table, so there is not a long list of potential points there.  If someone gives you these two columns, they're probably trying to say "here, looks at at this second column, see how obviously different it is from the first column?"

If you're going to make that argument, implicitly or explicitly, whether you're kicking a live horse or a dead horse, then it's natural for Yi or someone else to go "so what should that table look like if there were no funny business?"

So one should not ask about intentions before determining the golden ratio of representation? 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 07, 2021, 01:50:43 PM
They were drawn to make more Republican congressmen, race was only indirectly involved.

Hey! I already said that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2021, 12:59:14 PM
If you read the chain of replies, my reply was third, after Yi and Zoupa.  Yi asked a perfectly reasonable question, Zoupa countered it with a flawed assumption, I pointed out the flawed assumption.  I also made it repeatedly clear that I wasn't disputing the conclusion, but rather the usefulness of the 18% number as an argument towards that.  It didn't turn to shit until the words like "bizarre" or "sophistry" started flying around.

Damn, I had hoped to get a rise of DG by claiming that he and I are the same person.  I should have just called him a "Bizarre Sofa".  I'm good at pushing people's buttons, but some people have weird buttons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on December 07, 2021, 01:54:20 PM
So one should not ask about intentions before determining the golden ratio of representation?

Ask who?  The perps?  What are the odds that they will provide an honest answer?  Who knows their intent besides them?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!