And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2021, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 03, 2021, 12:47:49 PM
The first time that chart was posted here I wondered how come news agencies like Reuters and AP, who report things without opinion and matter-of-factly, could be placed to the left of the middle. Maybe the whole graph could do with a bit of realigning its axis.

Its a function of their methodology and the way that conservatives now define "biased" as being anything that isn't FOR them.

So if Reters reports "Trump claimed COVID would be over by Easter. Scientists doubt that" then some conservative "evaluators" will rate that as "biased", and they will get a very slight "liberal" push to their rating.

Since right wing medias aren't in the center, I'm guessing you got it all wrong.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2021, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2021, 12:56:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2021, 12:40:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2021, 12:17:07 PM
But there are lots of arguments that are true that can then be linked or correlated to things that aren't true.

Covid vaccines have rare side effects.  Those rare side effects are frequently cited by anti-vaxxers.  But mentioning those rare side effects does not make one an anti-vaxxer.

If we are having a discussion about whether people should get vaccinated, and you know that the exaggeration of incredibly rare side effects is the core myth of those who are pushing an anti-vax agenda, and you go into the debate and drop comments like "COVID vaccines have deadly side effects!" without context or nuance or the added explanation of how rare they are, or how immaterial those side effects are compared to the dangers of COVID, then you are an anti-vax asshole probably, and at least a very useful idiot to the anti-vax assholes.

That's really something coming from you Berkut, because you're the one who keeps bringing up media bias (or lack thereof)!

I posted in this thread to make fun of QAnon idiots who thought JFK was alive and going to make a public appearance at Dealey Plaza yesterday.

And I mentioned the irony of someone who pushes the media cannot be trusted narrative (and that is most certainly how QAnon dumbasses see the "media is biased against conservatives!" narrative) finding it odd that some of the people out there actually believed them.

Back to Yi's analogy. You are the German non-Nazi who is appalled at the existence on concentration camps, but who was very happy talking about how the Jews were the ones who asked for Jesus to be executed - after all, that is just plain true!

What I find fascinating is that you cannot connect the dots between "the media is biased against us poor conservatives!" to "the media cannot be trusted" to "the media is fake news" to "Fox is just as good!" to "OAN is legit!" when it is perfectly clear to me that the people who are at the "You should watch Fox!" end of that are the people who invented the "media is biased against conservatives!" narrative to begin with!

Meanwhile, the election in Virginia had a 12.3% swing to the GOP. If you extrapolate that across the country in 2022 house races, the GOP would pick up 51 seats and have a majority of 264-171.

But no need to panic. There was another governor's race: New Jersey, where the swing was a more modest 10.8%. That would result in the GOP only picking up 44 seats.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zoupa

After all that's been demonstrated about the GOP's intentions, actions and methods, it's really amazing to me how Democrat voters just don't show up on election day.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on November 04, 2021, 12:08:38 PM
After all that's been demonstrated about the GOP's intentions, actions and methods, it's really amazing to me how Democrat voters just don't show up on election day.
Indeed, given what is at stake (including redistricting) it is a baffling apathy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

It's almost as if there's a big bunch of voters who don't identify as "democrat voters".  And that the democratic party should try to make a play for the political centre, and not just rely on motivating their base.

My understanding from afar is that Republican Youngkin won in Virginia by pushing issues around schools and education, while democrat McAuliffe relentlessly tried to tie Youngkin to Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2021, 12:14:58 PM
My understanding from afar is that Republican Youngkin won in Virginia by pushing strawman issues around schools and education, while democrat McAuliffe relentlessly tried to tie Youngkin to Trump.

FTFY

Youngkin is tied to Trump root and branch.  Not enough people cared.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on November 04, 2021, 12:12:42 PM
Indeed, given what is at stake (including redistricting) it is a baffling apathy.
Baffling and depressing.

PJL

The issue is that the US (and other countries) have moved to the right, at least on social issues. Democrats need to realise that they need to be more conservative to start winning again.  Technological & societal change is moving so rapidly that a reactionary party is now viable (see the Republicans). Put simply, the Democrats need to be where the Republicans were 20 years ago.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 04, 2021, 12:17:30 PM
My understanding from afar is that Republican Youngkin won in Virginia by pushing strawman issues around schools and education, while democrat McAuliffe relentlessly tried to tie Youngkin to Trump.

FTFY

Youngkin is tied to Trump root and branch.  Not enough people cared.

Whether or not it was a strawman is moot - it was effective.  And tying Youngkin to Trump is not a good strategy if, as you note, not enough people care.

DGuller

Quote from: PJL on November 04, 2021, 01:14:00 PM
The issue is that the US (and other countries) have moved to the right, at least on social issues. Democrats need to realise that they need to be more conservative to start winning again.  Technological & societal change is moving so rapidly that a reactionary party is now viable (see the Republicans). Put simply, the Democrats need to be where the Republicans were 20 years ago.
I agree that it's part of the problem.  Especially on social issues, there is a tendency for some on the left to get so deep into the echo chamber that they completely lose track of how alien they start sounding even to other people on the left who are outside of their echo chamber.

crazy canuck

It's almost as if there's a big bunch of voters who don't identify as "democrat voters".  And that the democratic party should try to make a play for the political centre, and not just rely on motivating their base.

My understanding from afar is that Republican Youngkin won in Virginia by pushing issues around schools and education, while democrat McAuliffe relentlessly tried to tie Youngkin to Trump.

More like there is a big bunch of voters out there who don't want to support either party of the right but will come out to support progressive policies which the Democrats can't seem to bring themselves to do.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2021, 02:03:28 PM

More like there is a big bunch of voters out there who don't want to support either party of the right but will come out to support progressive policies which the Democrats can't seem to bring themselves to do.

You see - I think that's the exact wrong lesson to learn.

If you ask voters they'll say sure - I'd like to expand medicaid.  But experience has shown that isn't an issue that drives voters.

crazy canuck

I can see why you would think that.  But if the Dems just want to be another party of the right, why bother?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2021, 02:07:18 PM
I can see why you would think that.  But if the Dems just want to be another party of the right, why bother?

*shakeshead*

SO YOU DON'T ELECT TRUMP AGAIN AND END AMERICAN DEMOCRACY YOU FOOL!

If Trump is such an existential threat (and I think he is) - act like it.  Do whatever it takes to defeat him, even if it means shelving some progressive ideas for the moment and making common-cause with the political centre.

Zoupa

What I mean is there's a big chunk of ppl who voted for Biden and Kane etc. who then stayed home when another rich white guy pushing lies about CRT was on the ballot.

Either they were not properly informed, did not care or a combination of both. Kinda depressing.