News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I love that Legbiter is now denying he chumped for Trump.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 25, 2021, 07:36:36 AM
Hey, it's your country dude. By all means, I am sure a strongly worded letter to your representative about how your are not a crazy leftist is going to make a change.

Do you really want to get into a pissing contest about results?

Legbiter

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2021, 03:11:23 PM
I love that Legbiter is now denying he chumped for Trump.

Yeah, it all comes down to Hillary dosen't it?  :bleeding:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on June 25, 2021, 03:03:55 PM

Mental health recovery is often slow and relapses are common.

:yeahright:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2021, 03:16:23 PM
Do you really want to get into a pissing contest about results?

What results? What pissing contest?

I am reminding people to *get directly involved*. Whether or not you think that for your county, it's to work tirelessly to take back the Republican party from crazies and push it back towards your favorite brand of Shrine to The Market, or whether it is to reluctantly join force with Crazy Woke Pronoun Leftists - is something only you can adequately judge, and I do not care at all - I only care about which option is the more appropriate to fight the danger you are in.

The apathy I am seeing, the wishful thinking I am seeing that at some point the magic unicorn candidate that will be all I desire, or the aimless hope that somehow the next election will fix things, doesn't seem to address *at all* the danger you are all in. Writing a strongly worded letter ain't gonna cut it. And if joining Crazy Woke Leftist isn't either - you all should be spending way more energy than you collectively seem to be spending, to find a cure. And not in a "it's an amusing thought experiment" way. I mean in an actual, political involvement way.

Now, if it's because you think I am wrong about political involvement, and that it's much better to just wait it out - you do you. I just think it's a hell of a wager to make, and I am not a betting man. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 25, 2021, 04:28:14 PM
What results? What pissing contest?

The results of our respective styles of involvement.

Your mockery of my email to Grassley sounded like a challenge.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 25, 2021, 02:46:04 PM

Isn't that the advice you gave us Yank posters when your guy Trump got elected?  Don't get your panties in a bunch, etc.

How did that turn out? 

It didn't turn out so bad. Life went on.

That isn't defending Trump: he was a shit president, corrupt, and displayed the maturity of a child.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Except for some of those 600,000 people.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2021, 07:20:31 PM

Trump didn't kill 600k people. The death rate in the us is within the range of other developed western countries, if at the higher end of the range.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2021, 09:14:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2021, 07:20:31 PM

Trump didn't kill 600k people. The death rate in the us is within the range of other developed western countries, if at the higher end of the range.

It's true. It was not just Trump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

That's why I said some of those 600,000 people.  Obviously many would die anyway, but I have a hard time believing that obvious buffoonery and politicizing did not exacerbate the death toll significantly.

Eddie Teach

Trump was shit, but most of the covid management wasn't done at the federal level.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2021, 03:02:50 AM
Trump was shit, but most of the covid management wasn't done at the federal level.

Sure, but then you have to ask how Republican governors and Trumptards would have acted if he had been sane.  Would anti-masking have become a culture war issue if not for Trump?

Eddie Teach

Hard to say. I don't think Trump is the primary driver of culture war craziness though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2021, 04:03:44 AM
Hard to say. I don't think Trump is the primary driver of culture war craziness though.

With masks he certainly was the primary driver.  The whole concept of anti-lockdown protests and anti-mask rallies is so absurd it's hard to imagine that people would consider it if Trump had not endorsed this bullshit.  I suspect that he influenced the anti-lockdown protests in other countries.  The man is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017