News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2021, 09:29:39 AM
Well what if you make an informed choice to infect yourself with small pox and kill millions?
is it still lethal to most humans or didn't we develop immunity a while ago?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 15, 2021, 06:20:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2021, 09:29:39 AM
Well what if you make an informed choice to infect yourself with small pox and kill millions?
is it still lethal to most humans or didn't we develop immunity a while ago?

It had a mortality rate of 30% (higher in some groups) but was eradicated.  In the sense that it was eradicated, we developed immunity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

It still exists in labs though.  And you will be even less assured when you learn one of those labs is in Russia.

The premise of question is what would occur if someone injected themselves with it.  Since no one has been inoculated against it for a number of decades, it probably would kill millions.

Malthus

I learned something interesting the other day: there was a medical procedure that preceded vaccination to deal with smallpox. An extremely terrifying one, called "variolation".

Way it worked was this: the doctor would collect pus and scabs from someone with a mild case of smallpox, dry the stuff out, and grind it up. Then the doc would scratch the person to be protected's skin, and rub the powder in. In theory, this would give the person a *mild* case of smallpox (low vaccine load, via contact rather than inhalation, from a person who also had a mild case) ... though it was, as you can imagine, quite risky.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variolation

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2021, 05:57:52 PM
I learned something interesting the other day: there was a medical procedure that preceded vaccination to deal with smallpox. An extremely terrifying one, called "variolation".

Way it worked was this: the doctor would collect pus and scabs from someone with a mild case of smallpox, dry the stuff out, and grind it up. Then the doc would scratch the person to be protected's skin, and rub the powder in. In theory, this would give the person a *mild* case of smallpox (low vaccine load, via contact rather than inhalation, from a person who also had a mild case) ... though it was, as you can imagine, quite risky.

It's not really all that terrifying at all, and is actually a pretty logical early step in the process that would lead to the development of modern vaccines. Once you understand and note that

A) People who have a disease don't get it again, and

B) Some people get very mild versions of the disease

Well, it seems pretty obvious from there for the scientifically minded.

And variolation worked quite well for the times. It actually was not that risky once the technique was refined and better understood.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Primitive forms of vaccination similar to that variolation process were part of traditional African medicine when they were being discovered by Westerners, in fact a smallpox outbreak in Boston in the early XVIIIth was heavily mitigated thanks to the African slave of a puritan minister in Massachussets who taught him the procedure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onesimus_(Bostonian)#Inoculation_advocacy_and_controversy

Edit: woops, just saw that it's mentioned in the article posted by Malthus.  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on May 17, 2021, 07:09:12 PM

It's not really all that terrifying at all, and is actually a pretty logical early step in the process that would lead to the development of modern vaccines. Once you understand and note that

And variolation worked quite well for the times. It actually was not that risky once the technique was refined and better understood.

Terrifying to me. 😄

I mean, as a patient, you are risking that your physician had prepared the stuff properly, that you will in fact get a *mild* form of a disease that can be fatal.

Obviously, as with any medical procedure, the risk has to be weighed against the benefit - and the procedure was definitely a net benefit once well understood, in that if smallpox was about you would be better off on average by doing it than not doing it. The procedure did work, but as with any procedure, it had risks - actual vaccination works better and has less risks; but certainly for its time, variolation was an effective and life-saving technique. On average. 

I'd never heard of that before, I had wrongly assumed that before vaccination there was no preventive that actually worked. So it was a pretty interesting new fact to learn.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2021, 08:17:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 17, 2021, 07:09:12 PM

Terrifying to me. 😄

I mean, as a patient, you are risking that your physician had prepared the stuff properly, that you will in fact get a *mild* form of a disease that can be fatal.

Obviously, as with any medical procedure, the risk has to be weighed against the benefit - and the procedure was definitely a net benefit once well understood, in that if smallpox was about you would be better off on average by doing it than not doing it. The procedure did work, but as with any procedure, it had risks - actual vaccination works better and has less risks; but certainly for its time, variolation was an effective and life-saving technique. On average. 

I'd never heard of that before, I had wrongly assumed that before vaccination there was no preventive that actually worked. So it was a pretty interesting new fact to learn.

I don't really consider it as seperate from vaccination - rather it is just the more primitive version of vaccination.

I mean, the basic theory is the same - except that they are using a (hopefully) mild version transmitted in a less dangerous (lower viral load) manner then the normal course of the disease.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Razgovory

Is the GOP the French Republic?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Jim Boehner would disagree about that first frame.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 17, 2021, 01:06:43 PM
It still exists in labs though.  And you will be even less assured when you learn one of those labs is in Russia.

The premise of question is what would occur if someone injected themselves with it.  Since no one has been inoculated against it for a number of decades, it probably would kill millions.
a quick read suggests there are exisiting vaccines (haven't checked their efficiency) and I'm pretty sure I was vaccinated against this as a kid.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2021, 08:17:42 PM
Terrifying to me. 😄

Yeah, totally terrifying.  Even more so than buying some chemical component designed to create hallucinations from a dude you barely know sitting at some street corner who got it from another dude who got it from a shady lab with naked working ladies (to prevent product theft) and a doubtful hygiene of the place compared to the usual sterilization of medical objects.

;)

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2021, 06:05:49 PM

a quick read suggests there are existing vaccines (haven't checked their efficiency) and I'm pretty sure I was vaccinated against this as a kid.

I'm positive that since smallpox was declared eliminated they no longer inoculate kids against it.  It wasn't amongst the various vaccines my kids were given.

You and I are old enough we may well have received the vaccine though.  That was around the time it was declared eliminated.

Edit: or maybe not - wasn't that the vaccine that caused a kind of divot scar in the upper arm you sometimes see in older people?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 18, 2021, 06:05:49 PM

a quick read suggests there are exisiting vaccines (haven't checked their efficiency) and I'm pretty sure I was vaccinated against this as a kid.

I was too, but that was prior to it being declared eliminated.