Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Leopards hate her face. No sympathy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2021, 06:50:34 PM
OK, then I am quite content not feeling much, if any, sympathy for Stauffenberg either.

Though he had dabbled in post-Hitler planning, Stauffenberg didn't decisively turn against Hitler until he personally witnessed the treatment of Russian Jews as part of Operation Barbarossa.  By the summer of 1942 he was recruiting fellow officers into an anti-Nazi movement.  So, maybe worthy of some sympathy, maybe not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Snobby Kraut aristocrat gets portrayed on film by Tom Cruise.  Surely that is worthy of some sympathy, you heartless bastards.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on May 12, 2021, 05:54:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2021, 04:49:54 PM
The July 20 guys had no problem with Hitler waging aggressive war of ethnic annihiliation. Their only problem with Hitler was that he was losing that war. That being said there are still some differences between present day US and Nazi Germany.

This is not true of all the July 20 plotters and does a huge disservice to those that were committed to toppling Hitler far before the war was lost.

There were many attempts to kill Hitler before the war was lost. July 20 was not one of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republican-loyal-trump-claims-capitol-riot-looked-more-normal-tourist-n1267163

QuoteRepublican loyal to Trump claims Capitol riot looked more like 'normal tourist visit'

The comments by Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., during a House Oversight Committee marked the latest attempt by some Republicans to revise the narrative around the deadly Capitol riot.

Multiple Republican members of Congress on Wednesday offered a false retelling of the devastating events that occurred during the Capitol riot, with one calling the entire event a "bold faced lie" that more closely resembled a "normal tourist visit" than a deadly attack.

During a House Oversight Committee hearing on the Jan. 6 riot, Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., said the House floor was not breached and that the supporters of former President Donald Trump who stormed the Capitol behaved "in an orderly fashion."

The comments by Clyde and others on Wednesday marked the latest attempt by some Republicans to revise the narrative of what occurred and came just hours after House GOP members voted to strip Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., of her leadership position after she repeatedly criticized Trump over his lies that the 2020 election was stolen from him.

"As one of the members who stayed in the Capitol, and on the House floor, who with other Republican colleagues helped barricade the door until almost 3 p.m. from the mob who tried to enter, I can tell you the House floor was never breached and it was not an insurrection. This is the truth," Clyde claimed.

While pro-Trump rioters came close to breaching the House floor they never did so. But they did make it onto the Senate floor.

"There was an undisciplined mob. There were some rioters, and some who committed acts of vandalism. But let me be clear, there was no insurrection and to call it an insurrection in my opinion, is a bold faced lie. Watching the TV footage of those who entered the Capitol, and walk through Statuary Hall showed people in an orderly fashion staying between the stanchions and ropes taking videos and pictures, you know," he continued.

"If you didn't know that TV footage was a video from January the sixth, you would actually think it was a normal tourist visit," Clyde said.

Clyde's account gravely contradicts the events of the day, which were captured on television and on smartphone videos from inside the Capitol.

More than 440 people have been charged so far with participating in the attack. Many have ties to right-wing extremist groups, the FBI has said. Five people died in events related to the attack.

Prosecutors have said some of the hundreds of Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol were prepared for battle, wearing helmets and tactical gear. Several were seen on video or in photos carrying baseball bats and other weapons. The riot left the halls of Congress with broken windows, vandalized walls and ransacked offices.

Meanwhile, other Republicans during the hearing Wednesday falsely painted the riot as an event that saw Trump supporters needlessly harassed by law enforcement authorities.

"It was Trump supporters who lost their lives that day, not Trump supporters who were taking the lives of others," Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., said.

Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., claimed that law enforcement officials were "harassing peaceful patriots."

Democrats frequently hit back against those false claims.

"I find it hard to believe the revisionist history that's being offered by my colleagues on the other side," said Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass.

At another point during the hearing, former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller clashed with Democrats on the committee, who accused him of being "AWOL" during the riots.

"You were AWOL, Mr. Secretary," Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., said, prompting Miller to reply, "That's completely inaccurate."

Miller backtracked from comments he'd made earlier in the year — and that he'd included in the prepared text of his opening statement — concluding that Trump's remarks on Jan. 6 had encouraged the protesters to storm the Capitol.

In his prepared opening statement, Miller wrote "I personally believe his comments encouraged the protestors that day." Miller, however, ended up omitting that line when he spoke.

When Lynch asked Miller about the omission, Millersaid he'd "reassessed" his earlier conclusion that Trump had encouraged the protesters.

"I think now I would say that is not the unitary factor at all," he added. "It seems clear there was an organized assault element in place that was going to assault regardless of what the president said."

Lynch accused Miller of changing his story, prompting Miller to say, "That's ridiculous."

"You're ridiculous," Lynch replied.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I finally understand why people would refuse to make friends/date Republicans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

"As one of the members who stayed in the Capitol, and on the House floor, who with other Republican colleagues helped barricade the door until almost 3 p.m. from the mob who tried to enter, I can tell you the House floor was never breached and it was not an insurrection."
- This sounds almost like something from The Onion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Do they just normally barricade doors during tourist visits?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Well what if you make an informed choice to infect yourself with small pox and kill millions?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2021, 02:53:43 AM
"As one of the members who stayed in the Capitol, and on the House floor, who with other Republican colleagues helped barricade the door until almost 3 p.m. from the mob who tried to enter, I can tell you the House floor was never breached and it was not an insurrection."
- This sounds almost like something from The Onion.

I wonder if Georgia reps feel the need to go extra tard to make up for their state government's Chinese funded duplicity.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2021, 09:14:29 PM
I wonder if Georgia reps feel the need to go extra tard to make up for their state government's Chinese funded duplicity.

What's the story about the state government's Chinese funded duplicity?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on May 14, 2021, 12:11:10 AM

All the vote rigging QAnon bullshit.  Remember Georgia was the state Donald called to ask them to find 10,000 more votes.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2021, 12:17:39 AM

All the vote rigging QAnon bullshit.  Remember Georgia was the state Donald called to ask them to find 10,000 more votes.

Right. Thank you :cheers:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2021, 12:17:39 AM

Zombie Chavez could have given The Donald his 10,000 votes, easily, but The Donald was too proud to ask.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!