News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

You cannot see attachments on this board.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2024, 01:30:39 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2024, 08:42:28 PMAlabama supreme court rules that IVF embryos are children:

QuoteOn Friday, the Alabama Supreme Court decided that embryos created through in-vitro fertilization would be protected under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, effectively classifying single-celled, fertilized eggs as children.

The case, known as LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc, rested upon an argument by several intended parents that their "embryonic children" had been victims of a wrongful death when an intruder broke into the IVF clinic, dropping trays containing some of the embryos and ultimately destroying them.

In a 7–2 decision, Alabama's highest court ruled that the clinic had been negligent, allowing the parents to proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit. The court also ruled that it is "the public policy of this state to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children, including the right to life," referring to the Alabama Constitution's Sanctity of Life Amendment, ratified in 2018."

https://newrepublic.com/post/179122/alabama-supreme-court-bible-embryo-ruling-ivf

How long until they institute penalties for menstruating women who are basically just wasting eggs and not being pregnant? Or men wasting precious sperm masturbating or otherwise not cumming inside a fertile female? Well, strike the latter, they never seem to hold guys responsible when it comes to reproduction. :P

Blowjobs can lead to cannibalism.  :(

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I gotta admit - the way the extreme GOP fringe has now pivoted to being anti-IVF, anti-birth control is just crazy to me.  They're picking up all these old Roman Catholic positions that the RC church barely believes in any more - and the large majority of GOP proponents aren't even Catholic...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I'm not sure you can really describe those folks as being the extreme GOP. That has always been the evangelical wing of the Republicans. It's just that now they have much more power than ever and so we noticed them more.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2024, 03:17:36 PMI'm not sure you can really describe those folks as being the extreme GOP. That has always been the evangelical wing of the Republicans. It's just that now they have much more power than ever and so we noticed them more.

The weird part is that the Evangelical position was, until like 40 years ago, that life begins at first breath as the bible says. Not sure what happened to that but I am no theologian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I get it's her state etc. But given this is Trump's party now and Trump's effectively run (and been treated) as an incumbent, 60% seems like a pretty poor result for him, no?

Just thinking - along with the very tepid CPAC that I feel like you'd expect more enthusiasm? :mellow: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2024, 04:25:11 PMI get it's her state etc. But given this is Trump's party now and Trump's effectively run (and been treated) as an incumbent, 60% seems like a pretty poor result for him, no?

Just thinking - along with the very tepid CPAC that I feel like you'd expect more enthusiasm? :mellow: :hmm:

Yes, I'm seeing a few comments about with this kind of thinking...It is very optimistic.
Maybe?
But then how many of this 40% hate Trump vs. those who just think some variation of his time is done/this other person is better/I'll vote for whoever wins anyway.
I haven't seen the data but I've heard mutterings about a poll of these people saying they wouldn't vote for Trump, if thats true then its encouraging.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2024, 03:39:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 23, 2024, 03:17:36 PMI'm not sure you can really describe those folks as being the extreme GOP. That has always been the evangelical wing of the Republicans. It's just that now they have much more power than ever and so we noticed them more.

The weird part is that the Evangelical position was, until like 40 years ago, that life begins at first breath as the bible says. Not sure what happened to that but I am no theologian.

Perhaps it has to do with the timing of when the Evangelical movement became political. 

Zanza

Looks like the GOP will soon be led by Trump's daughter in law. Can't wait for cabinet offices for Don Jr. and Eric.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2024, 04:25:11 PMI get it's her state etc. But given this is Trump's party now and Trump's effectively run (and been treated) as an incumbent, 60% seems like a pretty poor result for him, no?

I was kind of thinking that - that ordinarily, if a challenger running against an incumbent won 40% of the vote that would be seen as a huge defeat.  Pat Buchanan won 38% of the vote in 1992 in New Hampshire (compared to Bush 41's 58%) and that was seen as a big deal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Yeah it seems puzzling and doesn't seem to indicate a massively enthused base chomping at the bit to avenge the great stolen election.

It really feels like an election between who will depress turnout the most.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I continue to oscillate between confident optimism and despondent pessimism on this  :(

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2024, 03:02:15 PMI continue to oscillate between confident optimism and despondent pessimism on this  :(

Even if Trump loses the next GOP candidate won't be much better. They might even be competent, which is scarier. Comforting, right? :console: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

frunk

That's the problem.  The country is going to be at risk as long as the Republicans remain crazy and relevant.