News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2024, 10:34:56 AMIt isn't.
But the deep southern states weren't going to put non-bigots and pro-integrationists into the Senate in the 1930s.  That wasn't an available option.

I don't see the relevance of this statement. My contention that Tuberville isn't the sign of decline of America doesn't hinge on whether a non-bigot could have been elected in Alabama in the past. In fact, I would think that actually bolsters my stance that Alabama has generally elected terrible people. ;)

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2024, 10:34:56 AMThe option was someone like Russell vs Talmadge in Georgia.  Both racists who suppressed civil rights.  But Russell backed the New Deal, established the national school lunch program and supported anti-poverty programs that benefitted all. Talmadge on the other hand suppressed labor and opposed poverty relief, when he took spare time from cheerleading lynchings.  You can argue they were both the same because they both opposed civil rights with equal force, but they did differ in other respects, and those differences had real impact on people's lives.

I'm not what you are arguing for here. Certainly, I would agree that there are different levels of bad and different levels of oppression. Not sure the relevance to Tuberville as a sign of American decline.

Am I missing something and one of those two men you mention were as poorly credentialed as you find Tuberville? Or with your new phrasing as idiotic?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I think my position is clear.  I never used the word credential in any form in describing TT, that was raised by sheilbh and I responded that credentials have nothing to do with my objection.

My objection as stated is that he is a fool and an idiot. Idiot  is not a new phrasing, I use that term as synonymous with fool, I think that is straightforward but feel free to point out any ambiguity you are still perceiving and I'll clear it up best I can.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2024, 08:10:58 AMI think my position is clear.

And as I said, I didn't think it was as it appeared in what I last quoted that you were raising points irrelevant to what I was disputing.

QuoteI never used the word credential in any form in describing TT, that was raised by sheilbh and I responded that credentials have nothing to do with my objection.

Understood.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2024, 08:10:58 AMMy objection as stated is that he is a fool and an idiot. Idiot  is not a new phrasing, I use that term as synonymous with fool, I think that is straightforward but feel free to point out any ambiguity you are still perceiving and I'll clear it up best I can.

I don't see any amiguity around him being a fool/idiot, I'd even agree with that. What I don't agree with is that his idiocy 'encapsulate the decline of a once great nation.' Rather, I contend that senators from Alabama are not a useful yardstick as they have often been terrible and provided 3 examples of senators who I think are at least as reprehensible (and really more so) than Senator Tuberville. On the balance, I view their reprehensible actions more of a black mark on America's honor than Tuberville's idiocy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

John Oliver has put forth an offer to Clarence Thomas of a million dollars a year and a two million dollar RV/bus thing if he retires from the Supreme Court within the next 30 days. Madness, but I hope it somehow works.  :D
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on February 19, 2024, 08:09:25 AMJohn Oliver has put forth an offer to Clarence Thomas of a million dollars a year and a two million dollar RV/bus thing if he retires from the Supreme Court within the next 30 days. Madness, but I hope it somehow works.  :D

It is the best kind of political humour.  Thomas and his wife receive millions in benefits already because the USSC has no conflict of interest rules prohibiting accepting gifts.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2024, 07:13:31 AMYeah also I just hate that sort of credentialism (I think it's quite snobbish). We've had many great leaders from less "qualified" backgrounds than a football coach (and a lot of incredibly disappointing lawyers - I mean, in the current Senate, Tom Cotton, say).

FWIW I think football coach could actually be a good background for a political leadership - they sort of embody and represent a community, they're leaders etc. I think the issue with Tommy Tuberville is not his CV, but him.

I think that's completely fair and I retract my point.

The problem with Tuberville is not that he is a football coach.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Coaches are used to having totalitarian powers within their domain.  Probably not a good choice for politics.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 19, 2024, 02:11:31 PMThe problem with Tuberville is not that he is a football coach.

He does, however, have the same problems as a politician that he had as a football coach: he is a jerk and an idiot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Alabama supreme court rules that IVF embryos are children:

QuoteOn Friday, the Alabama Supreme Court decided that embryos created through in-vitro fertilization would be protected under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, effectively classifying single-celled, fertilized eggs as children.

The case, known as LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc, rested upon an argument by several intended parents that their "embryonic children" had been victims of a wrongful death when an intruder broke into the IVF clinic, dropping trays containing some of the embryos and ultimately destroying them.

In a 7–2 decision, Alabama's highest court ruled that the clinic had been negligent, allowing the parents to proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit. The court also ruled that it is "the public policy of this state to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children, including the right to life," referring to the Alabama Constitution's Sanctity of Life Amendment, ratified in 2018."

https://newrepublic.com/post/179122/alabama-supreme-court-bible-embryo-ruling-ivf

grumbler

So Alabama's IVF clinics will all close and move to other5 states.  I hope that the goal of these intended parents was to rob others of the opportunity to employ IVF, because that's what they accomplished.

Of course, they are Alabamans, so fucking over other people via stupidity may just be in their blood.  We know it's in their Congressional delegations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2024, 08:42:28 PMAlabama supreme court rules that IVF embryos are children:

QuoteOn Friday, the Alabama Supreme Court decided that embryos created through in-vitro fertilization would be protected under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, effectively classifying single-celled, fertilized eggs as children.

The case, known as LePage v. Mobile Infirmary Clinic, Inc, rested upon an argument by several intended parents that their "embryonic children" had been victims of a wrongful death when an intruder broke into the IVF clinic, dropping trays containing some of the embryos and ultimately destroying them.

In a 7–2 decision, Alabama's highest court ruled that the clinic had been negligent, allowing the parents to proceed with a wrongful death lawsuit. The court also ruled that it is "the public policy of this state to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children, including the right to life," referring to the Alabama Constitution's Sanctity of Life Amendment, ratified in 2018."

https://newrepublic.com/post/179122/alabama-supreme-court-bible-embryo-ruling-ivf

How long until they institute penalties for menstruating women who are basically just wasting eggs and not being pregnant? Or men wasting precious sperm masturbating or otherwise not cumming inside a fertile female? Well, strike the latter, they never seem to hold guys responsible when it comes to reproduction. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2024, 01:30:39 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2024, 08:42:28 PMAlabama supreme court rules that IVF embryos are children:

How long until they institute penalties for menstruating women who are basically just wasting eggs and not being pregnant? Or men wasting precious sperm masturbating or otherwise not cumming inside a fertile female? Well, strike the latter, they never seem to hold guys responsible when it comes to reproduction. :P

On masturbating I really wouldn't put it past them.
Almost certainly are some calling for that
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 21, 2024, 08:13:11 AMEvery sperm is sacred

40 years ago, that line was satire.  Not so much anymore in the US South.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

GOP attacks dems for not knowing the difference between a man and a woman, but they can't distinguish a person from a test tube.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson